White Screen when booting from install disc...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gofastcls, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Gofastcls macrumors newbie

2009 Unibody White Macbook OS X 10.6.7

So i have decided to reformat my macbook just to start out fresh again. This is only the 2nd time I have done this on this macbook. The first time was over a year ago and I don't remember the exact process that I did but it worked.... So this is what I am doing now in the exact steps as well as what is going on....

With the Macbook running I popped in the ORIGINAL Install Disc 1.... it opens and prompts me to restart the macbook....

So I click Restart Macbook....

Then the Macbook reboots and a white screen comes up. From what I understand this process takes a little while to get going, however that white screen I left up for almost an hour and does nothing!

I held down the power button to turn the macbook off..... pressed it again to turn it back on while also hitting the EJECT button to eject the disc. The disc ejected and the macbook booted up fine....

So basically I can't get past the white screen when booting from the install disc. however it boots fine without it.

Should I erase/format the hard drive first before booting from the install disc? any suggestions?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Boot the machine holding down the option key. It'll show you a list of devices you can boot from. Hold down command-V and then select the install disc. What happens?

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i rem having a issue even with holding down "option" key and then picking dvd with a old ibook i had....

insert dvd and powerdown....then turn on power and hold down "C" key (give it 30 sec or so holding down)...this should boot your directly from dvd