White screen when watching avi file using Perian

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Feb 9, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I read that Perian allows people to watch avi files under Leopard. I installed version 1.1 but when I tried to play .avi file under Safari, I only see a white screen. Could anybody please let me know how to fix the problem? Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i assume your watching an avi in Safari from a link? can you post that link? Perian only installs QuickTime components not internet plug-ins. Flip4mac though installs both internet plug-ins and components to play WMV media.

i hope Perian includes internet plug-ins in future releases as there is no other way of doing it. BUT most of the media found in embedded movies on the internet is either flash, quicktime or WMV.

3. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

It seems as though even with all the plugins and Perian and xvid and divx and Flip4Mac and such there are still some formats not compatible with Quicktime Player. I have found some videos that would only play with VLC. And because you are talking about streamed video, there may also be some streaming formats not Mac compatible, but I don't have an exact answer. If you post a link to the video I can give a better answer.