White Screen with black edges HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by splenderful, Oct 20, 2008.

1. splenderful macrumors newbie

I have a white Macbook with Leopard and I didn't buy it new. I purchased it from someone who had it for about a year. Anyways, I was using it today, and suddenly my cursor started not moving, and then it disappeared off the screen. I decided to force shutdown and the screen turned to a white square in the middle of the screen with black edges. Also, I've taken the battery out, and tried to force restart, but it will only go into sleep mode and then when I turn it back on, it goes straight back to the white screen with black edges. I have no idea what the deal is, and have not seen anyone else having this problem. Please let me know if you have any insight on this issue. Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. splenderful thread starter macrumors newbie

additional information...

it's also making weird clicking noises...:mad:

...and now within the white square there's a blinking folder with a ? on it. I tried doing a new install, and it couldn't find a drive to put Leopard on. Is it possible my hard drive is just loose, or is it definitely dead?

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

your hard drive is no longer with us, sorry for your loss. lucky for you though, theyre not too expensive!

4. sfroom macrumors regular

Clicking noised indicate hard drive failure, unless it's your optical drive making the noise.

My brother's Macbook had a similar problem a few weeks ago, and it turned out his HD was just loose. Probably worth a try to got to iFixit and try reconnecting the HD.