White Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by colinm9, Feb 18, 2013.

1. colinm9 macrumors newbie

Already posted this in another thread. Probably shouldn't have!

MBP 13, 2010.
    Boots to white screen only. Chimes and loads OS normally. Screen brilliance and keyboard backlight can be adjusted and seem to respond to ambient light changes.
    Works perfectly fine on external (TV). GPU is detected properly in system info. It's not the display or LVDS cable - I hooked the whole assembly up to another machine and it's fine.
    No liquid or other damage that I can see. I can post good close ups of areas of the logic board if anyone can help?
    Thanks in advance!
    Colin

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Sounds like something wrong with the connector to the display on the logic board. Did this happen when the machine was with you? Did you do anything different than usual before the event?

3. colinm9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it as a fixer upper. The LVDS connector "looks" perfect (as does the rest of the board) but I also think it might be the culprit. I stripped the logic board - cleaned thoroughly with iso. Re-applied the right amount of heat paste (the manufacturers daub this stuff on like finger paint). At least it will now boot and run stable for hours. When I first got it it would start to white screen and shut down after a few seconds or a minute or two. I assumed some kind of heat trip?

4. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

The heat trip seems feasible. If you can get another faulty logic board with a working display connector, you may be able to swap it out... Otherwise, try heating it gently, just in case some of the solder has melted out of place due to the heat (with a heat gun or hairdryer). This could solve the problem... But don't hold me responsible for any issues!!!

5. colinm9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did think of changing the connector. A new one is cheap enough. The soldering is way beyond my capabilities though. Maybe I can find someone to check the continuity on the individual pins. Maybe I can do that? They're awfully small!
    Thanks for your input!

6. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Try the hairdryer/heatgun method first, fixed my MacBook from 2006 and it runs awesomely :)

7. colinm9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I've found the problem. Probably unfixable (by me!) but maybe someone could give me an opinion? As you can see - something (resistor) has fried. It's in the area of the LVDS connector and on the other side of the board near the DC in socket. It has occurred to me that replacing this burned component (even if I could) may not fix the problem if the reason it burned is unknown.
    Any input greatly appreciated!

Attached Files: