Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
My god. I just hate those [expletive deleted] Texans. I'm sorry - I know that sounds bigoted, because, to a degree, it is. Not just watching the game, but reading the Houston journalism makes me cringe. In response to going down 2 games to 0, Larry Derker told some Chicago fans, on the way out of Chicago, "Have a nice winter." [expletive deleted], dude. We're from the North. We don't have a problem with the winter. If you meant, you're a pansy, who can't hack it when it gets cold, that's fine. Stay down there and drive away in your pickup truck. Beat your wife a little - whatever you guys do in your spare time.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
I'm pretty sure he meant 'Have a nice winter' in that he was implying the Astros would win the
next two games and not have to come back up to Chicago again.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Shacklebolt said:
My god. I just hate those freakin' Texans. I'm sorry - I know that sounds bigoted, because, to a degree, it is. Not just watching the game, but reading the Houston journalism makes me cringe. In response to going down 2 games to 0, Larry Derker told some Chicago fans, on the way out of Chicago, "Have a nice winter." Fruck you, dude. We're from the North. We don't have a problem with the winter. If you meant, you're a pansy, who can't hack it when it gets cold, that's fine. Stay down there and drive away in your pickup truck. Beat your wife a little - whatever you guys do in your spare time.

Ah yes - but in proper perspective... um, whatever - the socks just plain have been schooling those hillbillies. I'm hoping they sweep them tonight. Then again, with Texas' liberal death penalty the Sox might not make it out of the state alive.

texas_chainsaw_massacre.jpg

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
The Astros win? don't make me laugh. the White Sox finaly learned the ropes, i just wish one of Konerkos home runs had fallen in my backyard. Tonight will be the night, see you all on 35th street.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
monkeydo_jb said:
I'm pretty sure he meant 'Have a nice winter' in that he was implying the Astros would win the

Since Games 6 & 7 would be played in Chicago, if the Astros win more than one game, they'll have to go back to Chicago.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
monkeydo_jb said:

Games 1 and 2 are in Chicago
Games 3, 4, and 5 are in Houston
Games 6 and 7 are in Chicago.

A team has to win four of the seven games to be the "World Champions."

If games 1 and 2 were in Chicago, and Chicago won those, then only THREE games would be in Houston. If houston won all three, they'd STILL need to go back to Chicago.

Of course, the Sox are ahead three games and houston won none, and since coming back from a 3-0 lead only happened once in the MLB, 0 times in NBA, and 2x in hockey, the chances of the Astros winning are slim to none.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm very pleased and happy for the White Sox. Hopefully they can win tonight and wrap up the series.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
dotdotdot said:
Games 1 and 2 are in Chicago
Games 3, 4, and 5 are in Houston
Games 6 and 7 are in Chicago.

A team has to win four of the seven games to be the "World Champions."

If games 1 and 2 were in Chicago, and Chicago won those, then only THREE games would be in Houston. If houston won all three, they'd STILL need to go back to Chicago.

Of course, the Sox are ahead three games and houston won none, and since coming back from a 3-0 lead only happened once in the MLB, 0 times in NBA, and 2x in hockey, the chances of the Astros winning are slim to none.
Just for nostalgia and marketing purposes: Maybe someone could get the Sox to throw games 4 and 5, so they could win it all back in Chicago, in the snow? Just a thought. :cool:

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
wdlove said:
I'm very pleased and happy for the White Sox. Hopefully they can win tonight and wrap up the series.
i hope the white sox blow he series
a. because i dont like the white sox
b. because im a braves fan and the braves dont look as bad if the astros win it all

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
jiv3turkey748 said:
b. because im a braves fan and the braves dont look as bad if the astros win it all

That's loser's logic if I ever heard it - and I heard a lot of rationalization when the Cubs lost the Marlins in '03.

My team looks better that they lost to the winner? Your team still lost and it does not matter who they lost to - they are just out.

As a Cubs fan, this series has to be some level in Dante's vision of hell for me.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
jiv3turkey748 said:

What makes you not like the White Sox?

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Okay, as for cutting-my-pills-in-half: one thing you might have missed in the EXPLETIVE DELETEDs above is that I didn't really curse. I post on macrumors semiregularly, and I'm not stupid enough to curse in a post on purpose. I just didn't realize that the words I used were expletives (modify the F-word to make it PG - that's the word I used).

Anyway, I was just appalled that Houston fans/journalists seem to think they're so much better than us "poor Northerners." We may be from the south side of Chicago, but we've got an awful lot of spirit, and if the best insult you can think of after getting blown out of the World Series is, "Have a nice winter," and "You have horrible manners!" then you just need to go soak your heads.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Shacklebolt said:
Okay, as for cutting-my-pills-in-half: one thing you might have missed in the EXPLETIVE DELETEDs above is that I didn't really curse. I post on macrumors semiregularly, and I'm not stupid enough to curse in a post on purpose. I just didn't realize that the words I used were expletives (modify the F-word to make it PG - that's the word I used).

uhhhh, didn't really curse....? your post dropped at least one F-Bomb straight out- don't call me a liar- i can read... thats why i made my post... i didn't miss anything, someone edited your post... :rolleyes:

Shacklebolt said:
Anyway, I was just appalled that Houston fans/journalists seem to think they're so much better than us "poor Northerners." We may be from the south side of Chicago, but we've got an awful lot of spirit, and if the best insult you can think of after getting blown out of the World Series is, "Have a nice winter," and "You have horrible manners!" then you just need to go soak your heads.

still think you ought to relax... fans taunt other fans all the time...

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
japasneezemonk said:
Cubs fans and Sox fans should all unite, or join the bandwagon.

You really have no idea how baseball loyalties work in Chicago, do you.

Sox fans are jealous of the alleged media bias towards the Cubs and Cubs fans really pay little attention to what happens at the south side Mallpark.

No true fan of either team would be caught actually rooting for the other. I am not talking about either team's bandwagoners either. I am talking the long time, long suffering type.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
emaja said:

Sox fans are jealous of the alleged media bias towards the Cubs and Cubs fans really pay little attention to what happens at the south side Mallpark.

No true fan of either team would be caught actually rooting for the other. I am not talking about either team's bandwagoners either. I am talking the long time, long suffering type.

let me check out my street adresss. oh, yes, i happen to live a couple of block away from U.S. Cellular field. Just so happens that i know some die hard Cubs fans too, they seem to think everything is fine. Come on, the Cubs are out, root for your hometown. Believe me, i respect those super loyal yuppiefied Cubs fans, but give the Sox a break. 100 years they've been waiting.

edit: As far as bandwagoners go, i guess you havent noticed how many Sox fans have sprouted over the last couple weeks, usuallly the team gets corwds as low as 14,000 in a field with a capacity of +39,000.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
emaja said:

Get over it. I WAS a fan of both teams til this April, when I realized what a joke the Tribune Company has made of the Cubs and Wrigley Field. It's just a cash cow for them, they care nothing for baseball. They won't pay to keep players either. Why? Wrigley's always full. Have you seen how they've ripped apart Wrigley so they can add more bleachers? The sight of that p***** me off. The whole area has become a playground for a bunch of amateur suburban yuppie drunks. It makes me ill. And don't even get me started on the price of a ticket to that place. Only 9 years ago, you could go sit in the bleachers for $8. I used to go at least a few times every year. Now- forget it.

However, were the Cubs to get in the playoffs and go to the World series, would I root for them? HELL YES. Why? Because we are all Chicagoans.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
japasneezemonk said:
let me check out my street adresss. oh, yes, i happen to live a couple of block away from Cellular One field. Just so happens that i know some die hard Cubs fans too, they seem to think everything is fine. Come on, the Cubs are out, root for your hometown. Believe me, i respect those super loyal yuppiefied Cubs fans, but give the Sox a break. 100 years they've been waiting.

edit: As far as bandwagoners go, i guess you havent noticed how many Sox fans have sprouted over the last couple weeks, usuallly the team gets corwds as low as 14,000 in a field with a capacity of +39,000.

Love the Sox, hate the BallMall. I wish they'd tear that thing down and build a replica of old Comiskey.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
japasneezemonk said:
let me check out my street adresss. oh, yes, i happen to live a couple of block away from Cellular One field.

For such a die-hard fan who lives blocks away from the park, you still don't know the right name? Please.

japasneezemonk said:
Just so happens that i know some die hard Cubs fans too, they seem to think everything is fine. Come on, the Cubs are out, root for your hometown.

Sorry. Never like the Sox, never liked the AL version of the game, and never liked loudmouthed Sox fans who reveled in the Cub failures of '69, '84, and '03. I loved the compassion and "let's root for the hometown" in '03 from south side fans. Do you really think that Sox fans will be rooting for the Cubs next time they are in the playoffs and the Sox are on the outside looking in?

japasneezemonk said:
Believe me, i respect those super loyal yuppiefied Cubs fans, but give the Sox a break. 100 years they've been waiting.

And let them keep waiting.

japasneezemonk said:

And what does that mean, anyway? Bandwagoners suck. Pick a team, support it and leave the fans who have been there through it all alone.

All I am saying is, yes it is a game, but there is a gulf between true Cub fans and true Sox fans - and neither one will ever root for the other.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I just want the 'stros to win one game (or up to three), just so:
A) The White Sox won't match the Red Sox' ( :confused: ) postseason win streak.
and 2) the Astros won't match the whole "down 3-0 and win the series" thing.
I think tonight might go the 'stros' way, as it's 0-0 in the bottom of the 5th.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
emaja said:
For such a die-hard fan who lives blocks away from the park, you still don't know the right name? Please.
oops. typing too fast=U.S. Cellular Field.

emaja said:
All I am saying is, yes it is a game, but there is a gulf between true Cub fans and true Sox fans - and neither one will ever root for the other.

pessimist maybe?

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
japasneezemonk said:
oops. typing too fast=U.S. Cellular Field.

pessimist maybe?

No hard feelings towards Sox fans. They have a right to be proud of their team. Just don't expect me to like it or root for them.

Most of the Sox fans I know would really hate it if I started rooting for their team anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.