White spot on 15" rMBP screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yg17, Jun 7, 2014.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have an original 15" rMBP from 2012. Today I noticed a small white dot on the screen, probably not more than a couple millimeters wide, but very noticeable when against a dark background.

I don't know when it appeared, my MacBook is more like a desktop to me, it's usually stationary and the lid is shut since I have an external keyboard, mouse and monitor, I pop the lid open every now and then when I need two screens for something, and I can't remember the last time I actually had my MacBook out of my house, probably back in November when I traveled for Thanksgiving. But I didn't notice the white spot back then, and I didn't notice it the previous time I had the lid open, and I have a dark desktop background, believe me, I'd have noticed it if it was there. So it's not due to accidental damage or getting bumped while moving it or something.

I have AppleCare on it for another year, but I guess my two main concerns are:

1) Apple saying it's accidental damage and not covering it. Anyone had this issue before and had problems with AC covering it?
    2) If they do cover it, this is my only computer, I can't live without it for an extended period of time. Anyone know if the Apple Store can do these repairs without sending it out, and how long it typically takes in store? Last time I had a computer there for repair, it took a few days, I guess they still don't offer a repair while you wait service? I'll take it in today if I can drop it off, go to the food court, eat something rather unsatisfying from Panda Express and wash it down with Jamba Juice, walk back to Apple an hour later and pick it up. But if it's a few day repair, I'll have to plan something.

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Had the same problem on my old 13".
    Apple care should cover it.

3. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I have the same issue and haven't repaired it yet because it'll take at least a week for them to replace the panel

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Was that if they did the repair at the Apple Store or send it out?

5. BL4zD macrumors 6502

They have to send it out for a panel replacment