White Spot on Powerbook Display. No warranty.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TheLordsServant, Feb 2, 2009.

1. TheLordsServant macrumors member

OK, I purchased a used Powerbook G4 off Craig's List. When I looked it over, everything seemed to be fine and dandy. But, when I got it home in dimmer light, I noticed a white spot on the left side of the display. I thought it was just normal backlight bleed, but I did some research on the subject, and found an issue with older Powerbooks (1Ghz and 1.25Ghz, I have a 1.67Ghz) that seemed to be a similar issue. The spot is most visible on a white background. On a black background, it is not visible at all. The spot is just above the center of the display, all the way on the left side. Is there any way to resolve this?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I remember Apple had a repair/recall on this ages ago. I had a professor with blotches on their PowerBook G4 and I offered to get it fixed for them but they declined. That was two years ago though.

3. TheLordsServant thread starter macrumors member

Well, I live five miles from the Apple Store, so I scheduled an appointment at the "Genius Bar" for the techs to take a look at it. They pretty much told me that it didn't look like "White Spot" disorder, as if it was, the spots would be in the center of the screen. They also told me that if I did want the LCD replaced, it would be $330 for the repair. For that kind of money, I'll live with a little white spot on my LCD.