White spot on screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corruptfate, Nov 18, 2011.

1. corruptfate macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

On my white iphone 4S today, I noticed a speck of white, that's the size of a pixel on my screen. It's not a dead pixel for sure because it still shows when the screen is off and so is the phone. I'm worried it might be a chip or a speck of dust. Should I go back to apple store to exchange it? Or an I OCD'ing about this. The thing is I paid nearly 750 dollars for this phone, and I want it to be perfect. I'm also not sure if they will exchange it for me since you still have to reserve iphone 4S in Canada to get them, and also because it's only one dot.

2. identity macrumors 6502

I would take it back. You paid too much to have a dead pixel or whatever it's called on the screen. For $750 the iphone better be perfect!

3. corruptfate thread starter macrumors newbie

any idea if I would have to make a reservation for an iphone? Or can I just make an appointment with a genius to get it exchanged?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Your $750 iPhone is no different than my $199 iPhone (just saying, the price you paid doesn't make it any more or less of an issue)

That being said, several weeks ago my sister went in to Apple for an appointment regarding her iPod touch, she asked me to go with her and at the end of her appointment I asked the Genius about the Yellow Screen issue on the iPad 2. I asked him if people are still complaining about that, because when I got my iPad 2 in March that was a big deal apparently and I asked him if newer models still had that issue.

He said that the issue is still the same (some have it, some don't) but that people stopped caring, I told him that mine does and if that was a reason enough to exchange it, he said no but that Apple does allow a one time exchange (for whatever reason I can come up with), but if the next model also had the yellow screen I would have to keep it (I was just asking, I don't plan on going in).

Point being, even if they don't believe that to be reason enough to exchange it, they should still allow you to use your one time pass (as your one time pass). I don't know if this is an official policy, but this is what I was told.

5. corruptfate thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand it's not any different, but the idea is that I spent when I spend 750 dollars on a product, it should be flawless, the thing that concerns me though isn't that white dot, its the idea that since it got in there some how, other particles of dust or lint might get in there in the near future. But concerning my other question, does anyone know if I have to make a reservation for the iPhone I plan to exchange it for? Or can I just make an appointment at a genius bar and they will be able to get a new one for me?

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

You will have to make an appointment with the genius bar.

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Genius Bar.

Are you within your return period?

FYI:
    If you exchange your phone within the return period (30 days), and then you decide (before the 30 days) that you no longer want to keep the iPhone and want to return it, its going to be a big hassle because the serial number from your original receipt will no longer match your current iPhone.

If you don't care, then have the Genius do a regular swap. If you do care, then I recommend you do a return/re-buy (the Genius can do this as well), doing this will also give you another 30 days to return your phone.

8. corruptfate thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really care for the return policy as I do plan to keep a iPhone, but I still also need to confirm if they gave me the right iphone (I asked for an unlocked one but I have reasons to believe they gave me a locked one), so I guess I'll have to pop down there anyways. Do you guys know if they do an exchange, if it will be with a new iphone 4S or a refurbished iphone 4S?

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Most likely Brand new iphone in a black box. I believe it's too early for refurbs to come in-stock. Unless some stores got refurbs in stock. Apple usually calls it "Replacement phone" Rather than refurbs.

10. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

The 2 Apple stores I go too have the same policy. One time exchange for basically any reason. After that, it's pretty strict.

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Cool, I was never able to verify if I was given incorrect information at my local Apple Store.

12. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

I WILL HAVE AN EXCHANGE... It sounds like the 4S has some quality issue. the SIM slot for mine dose not align properly with the bezel ..