white spots "pressure damage" to screen??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maestrocasa, Jul 20, 2008.

1. maestrocasa macrumors regular

Sorry I don't have any pictures to show here, but Apple has my machine.

I sent my 2007 MBP to Apple because there were several "dead" pixels along the lower edge of the screen. These appeared as white spots and a couple small white streaks. None were more that 2 or 3 pixels wide and at most 1/4 inch long. most were just spots of a few pixels in diameter. I assumed it was a screen failure and sent it to applecare. When I called to check on it, they said the white spots were indicators of pressure, are physical damage, and not covered by applecare. They wanted $1200.00 to fix it. Yikes!

I baby this machine and have never closed anything in the lid, poked at it or dropped it or anything beyond normal opening and closing. These spots have been on screen since early in its life. Has anyone had similar experience? could the "pressure" be related to how force is distributed along the hinge when the screen is opened or closed?

the good news is that I made enough fuss that a supervisor agreed to cover the repair as a "customer satisfaction" repair. Machine should be home in a couple days.

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

thanks for posting this. This is definitely good to know, and if I get those pressure spots in the future, I will know to raise hell with a higher up. Thanks!

3. mox123 macrumors 6502

my old 15" powerbook 1.25GHz model had this issue; i believe it was actually a widely-known defect for that generation early on, and apple actually issued a recall on it.

I sent mine in 2.5 years after the fact, and they fixed it for me for free, along with the "aluminum pitting" problem near the palm rest....

are we having the same issue again with the current MBPs?

4. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

Did you fly or went through a high/low pressure zone with your MBP?

I remember my old time Dell had this issue once I flew to Colorado but I sold it right after that and replaced it with my first Mac machine :D

5. maestrocasa thread starter macrumors regular

nope, no major pressure changes like flying or deep sea diving.

I've never seen this in any of my other laptops, going back to PBG3s

anyone have any other ideas?

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I saw it in my macbook which I eventually sold. I bought the macbook second hand so I don't know how the pressure spots got there.

7. cromwell64 macrumors regular

I have a couple around the center of my screen exactly where the edges of the Apple logo is on the other side. Most of the time they aren't noticeable, but it is still annoying. This is due to the weakness in the case that is created by having an Apple logo that can light up. I know people love this feature, but I would rather have an unlit logo and better/sturdier case than an attractive looking lit logo that brings a major weak point with it.

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I live in Colorado and fly all the time with my MBP. I have never heard of this happening. To me, or anyone I know.

9. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

It didn't happen to my MBP too, but it happend on the old Dell I used to have the first day I flew into Colorado!

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i had screen bruising on my MBP, but it had no dead pixels. It had marring inside the screen. It was covered under normal AppleCare.

11. justedward macrumors newbie

yet another screen problem....

i have streaks all over now some spots on the each site, one streak in the middle and another on the right. I used to think they were a reflection of something bright in the backround but realized there were a problem when i used my MBP (Purchased on June 2008) in very low ambient room light.

the steaks are about a centimeter to 3cm.

this was top of the line for the 15.4in model so its pricey. i cant believe apple use displays that are so prone to defects...until this day...sigh....

at any rate for everyone's info they look like bright spots inside the lcd as if their reflections. they seem to fade when viewed at diff angles.

12. sonicted macrumors newbie

sonicted

Had the same problem

Just had the same problem bought it to the apple store showed him the whitish spots on the upper left hand side of the screen and the guy at the store didnt even ask twice just said he would have that fixed as well as my palm rests that were starting to fade and show black.

13. justedward macrumors newbie