white stain on back of umbp lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Aug 10, 2010.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

I just had my i7 15' mbp 15 days ago. today, I just noticed a white stain on the bottom left of the lid (on the back). No matter how many times I tried cleaning it, it is always there. It is visible at low light conditions. Could this be a manufacturing defect?

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

Probably oil from your hands if you only see it in certain lights. I know when I run a damp rag over the palm rest on mine I get an interesting pattern where the oil from my wrists is, and I've seen it on the lid where my fingers always touch too.

3. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

The reason I asked is because the white stain is nearly on a location where I hardly never touch it.. It's right above the ventilation of my mbp, bottom left corner on the back of the lid, right below the apple logo. I was just thinking, could it been that it came like that from the box? I just got this mbp couple of days ago. On top of that, this mbp has another problem. Whenever I open the mbp to use it, everytime I put my palms on the palmrest, I hear a huge cracking noise on the right side.

4. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Cracking noise? If the rubber bits on the bottom are on a grainy surface when you apply pressure to open the notebook you can get that yes.

Unless the cracking is coming from the hinge or inside. Take it in.

Dunno what to tell you about the stain. Take a pic so we can see better. White stains on computers are...... well nvm

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

This "stain" is usually a result of a dent or some sort of damage. I have something similar to what you are describing on my MBP. I dropped it while it was in a hardcase. This is what caused it. If you did not drop or dent your MBP, take it back and explain the issue.

Edit: before you waste any more time on the forums, take it back. You only have 14 days to do so.