Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

haginile

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Hey everyone,

I noticed an issue with my MBP display and would like to see if others are experiencing the same issue. If I turn on Night Mode and use the discrete GPU, white text/border sometimes show a subtle green tint against dark backgrounds. The first picture attached shows the mouse cursor against a System Preferences window (left side is normal; as I move the cursor, some parts of the cursor would flash green, like the right side). The second picture shows a simple icon from Photoshop, the white border is almost completely green.

This seems to mostly happen when Night Mode is on, and it completely goes away if I switch to the Intel GPU. I'm not sure whether this was going on last week, but I definitely started noticing it after upgrading to 10.15.2. Any of you seeing this? Thanks a bunch!

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 19.06.27.png

dexw8vr916441.png

Last edited:

Marcin Kaczmarek

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
I've noticed exactly the same issue today on my brand new Macbook Pro 16'.
Everything was fine, but after updating to 10.15.2. I can see that green tint.
In my case - also with the Night Shift turned OFF!

It is visible in many places - when there is a 1px thin line contrast (black/white), even when I type this text and the typing pipe '|' is blinking - I can see it.

The only positive thing - it seems it's a software/driver issue, not hardware.

Comment

Marcin Kaczmarek

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2019
Is there any official way to report it to Apple, so they are aware of this issue? Otherwise we can stick with this 'green bug' for months. It's really hard to capture with the camera / phone. Were you able to make any pictures?

Comment

haginile

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Is there any official way to report it to Apple, so they are aware of this issue? Otherwise we can stick with this 'green bug' for months. It's really hard to capture with the camera / phone. Were you able to make any pictures?

I posted a new thread here, with a reliable way to reproduce it on my machine. It apparently happens on all kinds of colors, not just white on dark backgrounds I initially thought... I'm hoping to see more responses to the new thread, so that we could rule out hardware issues altogether.

I looked at a few floor units at an Apple Store and they were all fine, but they're all running 10.15.1, so I'm not sure whether this was introduced in 10.15.2.

I spoke with AppleCare and they collected some information.
[automerge]1576286437[/automerge]
I've noticed exactly the same issue today on my brand new Macbook Pro 16'.
Everything was fine, but after updating to 10.15.2. I can see that green tint.
In my case - also with the Night Shift turned OFF!

It is visible in many places - when there is a 1px thin line contrast (black/white), even when I type this text and the typing pipe '|' is blinking - I can see it.

The only positive thing - it seems it's a software/driver issue, not hardware.

Do you remember whether it was happening on 10.15.1? I honestly don't remember, but I've been feeling eyestrain since I got the machine...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.