White touch screen purchased. Who's installed one?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by james948, Oct 30, 2010.

1. james948 macrumors 6502

Because I want tips!
    I've just bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-OEM-iphone-...986547?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4cf2522e33

Now, I'm used to disassembling iPhones; I do it all day for a living. But only insofar as 3g, 3gs screen replacements, 4 back case replacements; I've never delved further. Can anyone lend any tips so I don't mess it up. I realise the ebay item wasn't the most expensive one but hopefully it'll do the trick..

Let me know.
    James.

2. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

Also,
    am I swapping out the retina display too or does that remain in the iphone while I change the front?
    Thanks in advance.

3. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

well on the i4 the digitizer and lcd display are glued together like the 2g so.... not sure how hard it is to remove the lcd and replace it on a new digitizer. most people just buy the whole front together. not sure how difficult installation is but should be pretty straight forward as i'm doing my swap tonight and definitely easier than swapping housings on a 3g/3gs.

4. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.
    whoops.
    I suppose that's what happens when you make a rash ebay purchase. I've asked to be refunded.
    Am I right in saying this is more what I want??
    http://tinyurl.com/35rzxa6

If so I'll purchase.

(damn)

5. SanFranKyle macrumors regular

6. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

If you don't mind me asking; where did you purchase your parts from?

7. SanFranKyle macrumors regular

No.

Get a white LCD/Digitizer combo.

Also let it be known that color matching random parts off ebay will probably net you mismatching parts.

8. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

I appreciate the advice.
    Sigh, this will have to wait until I get paid at the end of the month, funnily enough, by apple!

9. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i got my parts from ebay from a seller gadgetfix $10 for home button $115 for lcd assembly... not sure if they match or not as i haven't had time to install yet. your best bet is to go with a seller that provides the whole front with home button. However, you'll probably find that most fronts wont match the home button (hence "apple's production problems").

I also got my back plate from iresq, headphone jack from ubreakifixit (ebay seller), and dock connector (gadgetfix)

10. tuzii macrumors member

i wouldnt suggest doing it youself unless your good at taking apart very little things and not breaking them.

11. ipadder macrumors regular

You wont be able to find a Home button that will match perfectly with the color of the glass. I think this is an issue Apple was experiencing as well.

Everyone is correct that you can not install the one with the digitizer only. The LCD is glued on to it.

The LCD/Digitizer combo I purchased had many little faults. The first one was the proximity sensor wasn't working. I'm not sure why but I'll find out soon. Also, the LCD mine came with has the issue with the brown/orange spots on the corner. It really shows up when its hot or been in my pocket for a while.

When taking the phone apart, make sure to be very careful with the metal fingers that stick out on some of the parts, mainly the speaker/microphone/antenna combination. The phone will work without the metal fingers but signal will drop significantly.

Make sure you get the cable for the LCD/Digitizer through the chassis all the way before you screw it back on (12 screws, not fun). Overall, just be very very careful and take all precautions.

12. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Most people dont realize that the black home button isn't a match with the black glass either.

13. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the tips! Can you let me know where you got yours from so I don't get mine from there.

14. CZK, Oct 31, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

15. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502