White unibody bottom rubber detaching?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by scrub0bk, Aug 8, 2011.

1. scrub0bk macrumors member

Recently the bottom of my macbook has been detaching from the plastic case. Is there anything I can do to fix it? I'm pretty sure my macbook is out of warranty but i might purchase applecare soon. I looked on ebay and new bottoms are like $150 and i really dont want to spend that to fix it.

Thanks

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Apple has said they will fix that problem for people, just take it in to the apple store and show them.

3. joewandy macrumors newbie

if you're too lazy to bring it to the apple store, you can even request for a replacement kit and they will ship it to you for you to perform the replacement yourself

https://supportform.apple.com/201105/

4. hraven macrumors newbie

That's pretty cool, I wish I had known that before. Do you have to pay shipping or anything for it?

5. ViPhone macrumors 6502

Boost. Good luck. Mine has gotten extremely dirty. I might replace it, unless anyone has a better solution for the problem? Cleaning it somehow? The use of bottom covers in the future?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nope

7. HawtTuna macrumors member

I got the new once after mine starting peeling off. It seems to be made of a slightly different rubber. It doesn't seem to be attracting as much dirt as the original. I've had mine for about a month.

8. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

When you get the replacement, is it just a rubber sheet that you have to attach to the bottom cover? Or is it a whole new bottom cover with that rubber attached?

9. hekokimushi macrumors regular

hekokimushi

replaced for my gf.

send a new one over. via DHL, including screw driver, new screws and instruction AND a return envelope requiring you to return the bend one back to apple via DHL prepaid by apple within a specified time limit, if fail to return, i guess will be billing your iTunes account. as that is required for the request.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

It is the entire bottom cover

11. hraven macrumors newbie

So I guess that means no requesting a spare to stick in the closet for after the 2 yrs is up / after they stop making the part? Bummer, oh well.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Sure you can request it...just be prepared to pay if you want a spare part

13. HawtTuna macrumors member

Actually you don't have to return the original. If you peel back the return label on the box, it says that you will have to pay 0.00 dollars if you don't return the defected part.

14. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Thanks. Also, just curious, is it a generic bottom cover or do they stamp your serial number into it as well (like the original)?

15. ViPhone macrumors 6502

This is confirmed? This would be great.

16. hraven macrumors newbie

It's generic, or at least the last time I got mine replaced at the apple store (which was before this program was started) it was a generic one without the serial number.

17. hraven macrumors newbie

That would be nice. This is the third time I have had to replace mine, so unless it's made very differently I'm going to have to keep replacing them. I would like to have a spare for after the 2 yrs is up.

18. HawtTuna macrumors member

Generic one, it's probably of better quality than the previous ones though.

Attached Files:

19. hraven macrumors newbie

So, two days after I requested one, FedEx delivered the part to my door and maybe 5 minutes after opening the box here I am with a nice, non-detached (and bright shiny clean white) bottom again. Easier than having to drive 50 miles to the nearest Apple store.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I saw that too but the email correspondance, and the supplied documents apart from that one state that you do. Also the service status online waits for you to ship it back

In short, because there was conflicting info, I decided why take the risk?

21. HawtTuna macrumors member

They also they state that they will charge you the amount agreed upon when first ordering the part but no such thing happened. I'm assuming it's the just standard Apple mumbo jumbo repair and that it doesn't apply to this.