White Unibody Macbook a lot of problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Naad, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Naad macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend bought end of october a new white macbook unibody.
    It is a great laptop i would say, looks beautiful.

But here come the problems with it:

Just a week or two after she bought it the trackpad started to ignore the clicks, so only tap click was working. At iCentre in Amsterdam they replaced the entire body, the first one they ever had to do.
    After she got it back everything seemed fine.

But since a couple of weeks new things are showing up.
    The trackpad is not alligned at all, a small opening on the right, and very tight on the left. Also in height there's a difference. The weird thing is that the repair bill said that they alligned it...

The other thing is the battery, after it came back from repair it showed only 89% health in both iStat and coconut battery! and that just after 27 cycles. Can this be normal?

The last thing i can think of now is the screen. When looking at a black background there is a clear lighter spot in the right middle of the lcd. Very annoying!

I will go to the apple store soon, but actually want to know wether anyone else has (one of the) problems with the new unibody mac. I'm hoping she is just in bad luck and that not all the new macbooks are struggling with problems!

2. ttopp macrumors regular

I know what the light issue in the dark screen might be..

Do you have a bright light behind the screen?? is it worse when there is??

It will b the apple logo. it lets light through. i noticed this on my old Blackbook,( the black MacBook)

3. Naad thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not in front of the MB atm, but remember it's to the right of the logo. The shape of the spot is not round, it's more like triangle with curved sides... for those who's imagination is giving up i will try to grab a picture soon and post it.
    Thanks anyway for your thoughts!

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

The health of the battery gos down pretty fast ,I have the same and 18 cycles and i Calb. every 2 weeks, its at 93% but it does go up to 97%

5. Naad thread starter macrumors newbie

One year has passed

So, little update after a year.
    The story has expanded a bit.

Since the laptop was bought on the 30st of October the screen has been replaced twice.
    First time the screen had a white spot.
    Second time, in may i guess, the screen had a red horizontal stripe (see picture later on)
    Also the topcase has been changed because of a trackpad fail.
    In August we saw that the laptop had the red stripe again!
    Because of time issues we went to the shop in September. This time I told the Apple retail service place in Amsterdam (iCentre) that I didn't want it fixed but replaced.
    It took them 3 weeks and a second opinion to see the red stripe (Before I showed it to a lot of people, average time to see it was about 2.5 seconds).
    Then they told me the screen needed to be replaced again!
    I said no, ask Apple to replace the entire laptop. They said I should call them myself.
    So I did, within an hour they authorized a replacement. :)
    So the updated macbook (now 2.4ghz instead of 2.26, new graphics chip, 10 hour battery) was sent the week after.
    That arrived on November 4th.
    All happy it's been used for a while, until tonight we see the SAME TYPE of red stripe!!! That's the picture i attached (if it worked).
    So now I send an email to Fernand Kuijken from Apple Operations Europe (he arranged the replacement) to ask what the hell is going on.

Now my question to the community:
    Does anyone see a red stripe on there 2009/2010 white unibody macbook?
    It is best seen on full brightness with a black background in a dark room.

One thing extra, the stripe is on the same line as where the screen (apparently) touches the uppercase at the bottom of the keyboard. The sharp line between the trackpad and keyboard.

I hope I was clear, and that people have thoughts on this.

Thanks already!!
    [​IMG]

6. happle macrumors 6502a

sounds like you have some isolated issues...i dont have any of those.

and istat/coc battery arent 100% accurate. mine said 87% and they tested my battery with a diagnostic tool on their lacie hard drives at the apple store and my battery was 97.7%.

but your trackpad and screen issues are isolated

7. Naad thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

Just a short update:

The macbook is being replaced again! So today they pick it up, this week another new machine comes.
    Great service on the one hand, but really wanna know what's causing these red stripes. At Apple they also have no clue!
    Hope the new machine won't give troubles. If so, then I'm gonna demand a macbook air as an extra haha :)