White Unibody MacBook Heat Dissipation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alexgui, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Alexgui macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I was considering buying a MacBook Pro over a white MacBook until I came to my senses and realized that the entry level white MacBook has a larger hard drive and the same specs elsewhere. Also, I'm very glad that the palm rests are glossy;Apple finally found a fix for the discoloration issues.

My only concern comes from the rubberized bottom: Is the rubber bottom sufficient to dissipate heat? Does the whole rubber bottom touch the table surface, or are there 4 contact points? And, does the rubber bottom discolor very easily(if yes, can it be cleaned)?

Thank you in advance for all of your help. I hope you've a wonderful day.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

The whole rubber botton touches the table, so there are no individual contact points like the pro or pc laptops have. The rubber bottom can discolor, but so far I've been able to clean it using a wet tissue.

The heat does not dissipate through the bottom. It only dissipates at the hinge between the screen and keyboard. It's pretty impressive how quiet the macbook is considering the heat dissipates from only one edge. The only issue with this design is that dust will be blown on top above the F-keys so you'll constantly have to wipe the top area, but it's not really a big deal.

3. Alexgui thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool!
    My current, white non-unibody MacBook gets incredibly hot on the bottom. (I'v burned myself a couple of times.) But it's expected-- happens only when I have the bottom surface covered.

For that reason I was afraid that this new rubberized bottom would insulate the computer more than help it get rid of some heat.

I plan on playing a bit of Warhammer/WOW on it, so it would really suck for it to overheat and then power-off the processor....

How long have you had your Mac? Does cleaning it with a wet tissue leave the rubber like new?

Thanks a ton,
    Alex