White unibody macbook looks tempting at Microcenter

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jjahshik32, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

There is a microcenter just 15 minutes from where I live and they currently have 79 white unibody macbooks available for $799.

Man its so tempting! Its basically the same specs as the lowest end aluminum 13" mbp just minus the aluminum, sd cardslot and fw800.

Anyone get the deal from microcenter?

2. slocraiger macrumors newbie

I bought one from them about three months ago.. at that time I paid full price of $999 but then they sent me a $200 visa rebate cash card. Great deal! I love the computer and Microcenter was great doing business with.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm thinking about selling my 17" and picking up a white unibody tomorrow and pocket the difference.

I've been looking for a smaller notebook to carry to campus + needing some $$.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's a great notebook. I jumped on the deal when it required a rebate a few months ago and so far I love the macbook. The sd card slot is no issue to me because I just connect my camera to the usb port.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Go get it. It's a great deal on a great little computer. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for a long time.

6. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Do you guys know if the white macbook can go up to 8gb of RAM? I know its not crucial (no pun intended) to get 8gb but just curious.

7. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

I have the low end alum uni MacBook and sometimes wish I had the new plastic unibody :). There is just something about a white Mac, it just seems "right". Anyway, if you do get it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

8. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

It looks like now that the $200 is a instore instant rebate and not a mail in rebate for a Visa gift card, as it was before.

I pass one on this Friday, and one next Tuesday....c'mon IRS, get me my money.... :p

9. icec0ld macrumors member

this is what i did. sold my 15" mbp (w/ 9600), bought the 13" umb from microcenter @ 800 and bought 4gbs of ram... i'm very happy right now

10. gerabbi macrumors regular

OWC seems to think so.

I got one it's a very nice machine for the price. I actually was able to pick up an open box MB and got an even greater discount. I've already upped the ram to 4gb. I don't need 8 yet but it's nice to know it's possible, at least according to OWC. I also love the long life battery.

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Apple says it supports only up to 4GB.

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

BTW, is there a reason for this deal . . . new Macbooks coming? Or just a very generous promotion.

13. gerabbi macrumors regular

True that is Apple's official word, but OWC sells an 8gb kit for the Unibody Whitebook. So it should "unofficially" support 8, I haven't tried it because it's still too pricey for me +/- $350.

14. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah, just noting the "official" information, which OP can take for whatever worth he wants to give it.

15. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Considering the new Uni Polycarb were released in Oct 09, and the MBP's havent got a refresh yet, I doubt the new Macbook is getting an update until late this year, early next from my knowledge of updates.....regardless, I think its just a generous deal! BTW, I purchased my Macbook(oct 09 model) from apple for 999. I called support, and they reimbursed me $200 because of the microcenter deal. Sweet if you ask me

16. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm going to take Apple's word for it.

I noticed that the same thing for the previous gen uMBP (which can officially and physically address only 6GB of RAM even though it shows a total of 8GB under OSX).

So I always take what Apple saids about its max RAM rating.

One thing to note is that I believe the white uMB uses the last generation chipset so it sounds about right with 4GB of RAM.

17. supham macrumors newbie

I just picked up one for my wife yesterday.

Great deal. FYI I actually picked it up at an Apple Store. They will price match.

Just be ready for about 60 - 100 up sells. Printer? no Mobile Me? no Express? No iWork? no......

s

18. gerabbi macrumors regular

19. Jay S. macrumors newbie

Crucial and OWC both say it can support 8gb of RAM from their independent testing.

As far as the white macbook goes it is a great deal. I bought mine from a local microcenter for 719.00 ( It was open box). It is definitely worth it to save the 500 of the 13" MBP as I don't need the firewire, I am used to not having a SD card Slot (from my old macbook), and actually like the polycarbonate better than the aluminum. I did think i would miss the backlit keyboard but have found that due to the keys being white and the amazing brightness of the screen i can see them fine even in the dark. In short at this price everyone should buy one.

20. GorData macrumors member

I bought one on impulse. Saw the deal on 9to5mac.com and took my Ipad money and drove down to Micro Center. I have it in a corner and I havent even opened it yet. Thinking of returning it. I already have a MBP 15 and the girlfriend has a MB 13 white (Older Model). Its rare to get a macbook 200 off and its not refurbished.

21. silenahilena macrumors member

I'm ordering mine now and picking it up tomorrow! I'm so excited.

22. iherzi macrumors newbie

I called my local apple store and I called the 1-800 number and both places told me they wouldn't price match even though microcenter is listed as an authorized reseller

23. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Well Apple price matched mine that I purchased on their website. I got mine off Apple.com. Then heard fo this deal, called CS and they gave me a $200 reimbursement. Not a bad deal by Apple. Got some extra RAM with the reimbursement.

24. iherzi macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm gonna try again in store today so hopefully it will work.