All iPads White vs Black for reading and browsing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by priyamsingh, Oct 25, 2013.

1. priyamsingh macrumors member

Which colour ipad will cause less eye strain for heavy reading and browsing? I will not be playing games or watching videos.

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I don't know about eye strain, per se, but just for general visibility I think a white border is bad. Why have all that information-lacking light going into your eyes?

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Have a white iPad and iPod Touch 5. Use them for everything (including video and gaming) and never an issue with eye strain.

I think either color will do since you're looking at the screen, not the frame surrounding it. My computer monitors are black and I've never had an issue with the monitors.

Increasing/decreasing brightness probably makes more of a difference than the color of the frame.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

This.

I'm sure someone will pipe in with their special case exception, such was watching dimly lit movies in a dark closet and being distracted by a non-black bezel...

but other than that it really just does not matter in real world usage.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not exactly a dark closet. With lights off, just in bed watching or reading before going to sleep and for me, the white bezel is distracting which is why I always get black. :p

6. ToniqR macrumors member

ToniqR

I've a got a white iPad 2 and use it a lot more for reading PDFs for Uni work than watching films etc. The white border just makes it look a lot more like your reading a piece a paper, blends in well when I'm also writing notes a on my A4 notepad.

So the whole argument that black is less distracting is wrong for my usage. It all comes down to what you use it for really. I guess black might be better for movies at night, but if you use your iPad during the day for documents, I'd say white is actually better.

Each to their own though! : )

7. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Just because you're focussing on the screen doesn't keep the photons from the white border from entering your eyes and decreasing your contrast. It's hard to say what the overall magnitude of the effect is, though, so I wouldn't dissuade anyone from getting white if they just really like white. But based on the OP's original question, I'd would definitely say black is better than white.

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Neither. You need to find another basis for choosing color that "eye strain".

9. hallidc macrumors 6502

hallidc

In my opinion I believe black is best on the iPad. I've had a white iPad before and it was distracting to me while using it device.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just get whichever color you like. Personally I find the white distracting, but I wouldn't think it causes eye strain!