White VS UniBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Intel Inside, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

2. hamzab macrumors 6502

The White one is the same as the Base Aluminium model but has the plastic housing found on the previous generations of the Macbook

If you are making a decision on which to get I would highly reccomend getting the newer Aluminium ones as these Plastic ones (I own a Black 4,1) have nothing but problems with cracking and overheating. Own something that is future proof and crack proof. Ive sent in mine for repair twice now and still the matter isnt resolved so Im hoping to get a replacement Aluminium 2.4 model

HamzaB

3. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

::cough:: Firewire ::cough::

4. hamzab macrumors 6502

Oh yes forgot to add that thing that me and Apple are missing :D

5. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

The white uses DDR2 ram instead of the Unibody's DDR3 which runs at a faster bus speed.

Even so, I'm still leaning towards the White since I want the firewire for my DV camera and all my firewire drives.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

7. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Now that's a nice, to the point breakdown of the differences.

For me there are a few things that help make the decision a little easier:

1 - I have a brand new set of 2x2GB Crucial DDR2 modules
    2 - I have a brand new 320GB SATA 2.5" hard drive (I have #1 & 2 because I bought them for a refurb 2.1 whitebook that I had to RMA because of a couple issues)
    3 - I still use a MiniDV digital camcorder with firewire
    4 - Almost all my drives have firewire and I have a decent firewire hub

I like glossy screens, so either one works from that standpoint. But I'm a little wary of all the glass in the screen and the touchpad areas.

8. superwoman macrumors regular

Another difference that is not so obvious: the GPU uses minimum 256MB of memory that is shared with the main memory. So even though the GPU is the same, the Alu Macbook probably has superior graphical performance than the white Macbook, by virtue of DDR3 vs DDR2.

9. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Hey, I would just like to warn you not to use the term "UniBook" or "GlassBook" or "AlBook" etc. to avoid being fired back at. I don't care at all what name its called, but it really annoys some people. Instead just say "Aluminum MacBook" or "Unibody MacBook" or "Silver MacBook" or somthing alike. Just say it by the whole name. ;)

10. ihabime macrumors 6502

It remains to be seen just how much difference DDR2 vs DDR3 will make, real world tests show DDR3 less than 10% faster, but being that it's shared graphic ram that might make the difference more noticeable.

DDR3 also runs at a lower voltage which may affect battery life, but the whitebook does have a bigger battery.

The Whitebook also used to run pretty hot, but it is using a new CPU and chipset now.

Basically I'm looking forward to someone testing one out :)

11. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Just go with the aluminum if its something your going to carry around with and can afford it, otherwise the whitebook is still a great choice.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, plastic things break when you hit or bend them beyond their structural limits, but if you treat the computer like it's a computer and not a hammer, car door, punching bag, or seat cushion, it won't break. Mine's over two years old and isn't cracked, scratched, warped, or anything else unsavory. Many of the cracks people complain about here are from slamming the lid down too hard - I've seen pictures - or from throwing them into backpacks. News flash - backpacks are not laptop cases. Get a padded sleeve and a padded case, like a briefcase, and the case should last forever.

As far as overheating, the plastic doesn't generate any heat at all as far as I'm aware. My MB has also never "overheated," which I will define as to the point of sustaining any type of damage.

13. hamzab macrumors 6502

Dude, ive got an Incase case bought THE DAY I bought the Macbook, its always in that when being transported.

So dont give the crap Ok, you can ask hundreds of other Macbook users, they crack, its a structural fault! Dont try acting smart when your not, If you dont know how people treat their Macs then dont jump ahead and make presumptions because you end up being Wrong!