Whitebook 2.1 or 2.4, will I be able to tell the difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ZachsMacDaddy, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I'm going to eventually buy a reburb white Macbook and I am contemplating between the 2.1GHz and the 2.4. As far as the ram and hdd are concerned, I plan on putting a bigger drive in and upping the ram to 4gb, so the only difference left is the .3Ghz.

The money saved by going with a 2.1 would just about cover the 4gb and a good 320GB HDD.

My plans for this laptop are: surfing, some work in Windows (thus the ram), itunes, iweb, iphoto... no gaming planned, I'm just not a gamer.

Will I really notice a difference of .3GHz? Both are the Penryn chip with Santa Rosa chipset, so it's purely the speed and not a difference in architecture.

Thanks.

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Nope, no normal person would be able to tell, especially after the upgrades. Go with the 2.1 for sure.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

For what you will be using it for, you will not be able to tell a difference. I would go with the 2.1 GHz and use the saved money for RAM and a hard drive.

4. yojimbo1 macrumors member

5. ZachsMacDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Thanks guys. "Eventually" just became "just did". The $100 difference was a huge factor.

I just pulled the trigger and bought it on the USA Apple Store.

"Delivers: Jan 17 - Jan 24" I specified it was a business address and I'm having it shipped to my work, so hopefully they won't use the USPS and somehow get it there by Saturday when nobody is there. I think that would be way too fast to get to the East coast anyways.

Then of course when I went to Newegg they still offer the $5 discount on the Crucial ram kit, but they raised the price by $5 today!

I'm psyched!