Whitebook vs. Blackbook- what to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MyMelange, Nov 2, 2008.

1. MyMelange macrumors newbie

I am switching from PC to Mac!! Yeah!

I don't like or need the new alum macbook. I am trying to decide between 2 older models from Macmall and need some good advice.

I am not a gamer. Don't use video. I need a solid fast machine for writing, web research, photo storage and photo editing and maybe some presentations. I need it to be fast with many applications open at once. I may listen to CD's or play a DVD, but that won't be the norm.

I currently have a Dell PC Desktop running 1.0 Ghz/1GB/160GB and it seems to do the trick for me. I would like this laptop to last me more than 5 years.

These are the two I am deciding on:

Blackbook 2.4/2GB/250GB for $1194
    Whitebook 2.4/2GB/160GB for $1159

I'd really like the Blackbook's config in the white model- but the price is over $1300!!!! :confused: Which I think is ridiculous!!

I like the look of the white better, but I know the extra bump in RAM in def worth the extra $35. The question is whether I really NEED that much RAM?

What is your recommendation? What would YOU do?

Thx-

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Hello!

I think you are confusing RAM and HD here. Both have 2GB RAM, but the blackbook have more HD space (250GB vs 160GB).

I would definitively go for the 250GB over 160GB for that lil' extra.
    Also it seems like blackbooks have better resale value than the whites for some reason, since many are considering the blackbook a bit more highend than the whites.

If you really want the white one you could buy that one with 160GB HD and when you are starting to run out of space swap out the 160GB for a 320 or even 500GB HD for about $100.

I did get my Macbook Pro with 160GB and swapped it out for a 320GB HD a year later.

Hope this helps!

-tb

3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the difference between both models aren't substantive. It's really all about color.

So the good news is you can go ahead and get the white one :) You won't be missing out on much except some HD space.

Use the extra cash to buy apple care or some nice accessories for your whitebook such as an external harddrive for time machine backups, a laptop sleeve/bag, or even a mouse.

all the best and welcome to the wonderful world of mac :D

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'd personally get the white one to save some cash.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'd say get the black. For a small price difference, its not too much more expensive.

If you want it cheaper now, then get the white with the 160GB. I also switched my hard drive out when I got my macbook pro. 200GB to 320GB @ 7200RPM then switched to a 128GB SSD.

Remember, the hard drives are swappable later on if money is really a concern right now.

6. MyMelange thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice. Hmm- 2 for the black-2 for the white.

I heard something about upgrading the HD will void the warranty? Would you wait than until the 1 year warranty was up to upgrade the HD?

Do you have to buy Applecare in the beginning- or can you buy it later-maybe say when 1 year is up?

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Pick which one you think is prettier. There the same damn machine except for the color. Changing the HD does not void the warranty. Now if your new HD dies then you have to go to the manufacturer of that HD to get a new one, not Apple. You can buy Applecare right up to the end of your 1 year warranty. After that you can't get it.

8. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

why not get the new white one with SuperDrive for $999. Add a huge hard drive and 4 gb ram for around $1200 total?

9. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Swapping the HD out will not void the warranty, but the warranty will not cover a swapped HD. You have one year to buy AppleCare, and I think it is worth every penny. Make sure that you get it before that year runs out, if it is one day past, you can't buy it.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

OP is looking at the 2.4GHz instead of the 2.1GHz on apple's site.

11. MyMelange thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for all the help guys! I think maybe I'll buy the white and upgrade the HD later. I'll buy applecare before the year is out! Do you ever save money on it if you buy it later?

12. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

good choice! As for the Apple care, make sure to buy it before the year is over.

I believe if you look around on Ebay you might be able to get it cheaper instead of buying it from Apple.

As for price, whether you buy it on the you get your macbook from Apple or 1 month later, or 10 months later, the price remains the same.
    :) all the best

13. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I see, but about 15 percent speed difference for CPU intensive tasks vs 4 GB RAM which is 100 percent more over 2 GB. I would rather have white 2.1 with SuperDrive and 4 GB RAM over the other two. Giving my opinion.

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

You can use guide at Ifixit.com and get a 320 GB HD 7200 RPM and 4 GB Crucial RAM at NewEgg.com for $200 total. Awesome machine in my opinion.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

There is no difference between the white MB and the black MB in terms of quality; as stated by previous posters, the black MB does come with a larger HDD, and a higher price (which reflects fashion and consumer preference). In terms of value for money, the white MB is by far the best value for money (although not quite as highly regarded aesthetically). Buy whichever you prefer, don't be led by fashion, but as a number of others have pointed out, make sure you add Applecare within the first year.

Cheers and good luck