Who actually has all the Aerial Screensavers?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ehzool, Apr 24, 2017.

1. ehzool macrumors member

I don't know what I'm doing wrong and this is driving me crazy since the Aerial screensavers I THINK are going to be one of my favorite features with the Apple TV... if they will actually start downloading.

I only have 2. And Apple TV keeps cycling between them over and over and over and over again. I have "Download New Video" set to "Daily" and it warns me that some videos can be up to 650 MB.

My internet is slow, but not THAT slow. I have a 8 mbps download speed so, even if each screensaver was 2 GB, I would still be able to download at least 10+ per day... but nope. Nothing.

How do I actually download these screensavers? I hate how there's no download or progress bar or message telling you they're even downloading.

It's Apple trying to simplify things and keep everything clean, but in reality it's just frustrating and confusing.

2. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

You may just need to power cycle the device. Pull the power cord for a few seconds, then reconnect it. Then all you can do is wait.

3. mic j macrumors 68030

I have found that they load sporadically, over weeks actually. So don't expect them all to appear instantly after the power cycle. That might just be my particular experience however.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The downloading of these seems to be some sort of voodoo that only Apple is privy to. It's very frustrating. Why they cannot just give you a link to them and let people download the ones they want when they want is beyond me.

In their quest to make things easier, they have made it harder. And it's dumb.

5. mic j macrumors 68030

I don't need a lot and generally think they are stunning, but at a minimum I would like to be able to see a list, on the aTV, that would tell you what is downloaded and what is not. After that, the ability to pick and choose would be a nice feature.

6. Fritz5484 macrumors newbie

Fritz5484

The "Aerial" Screensaver on the ATV 4 is fantastic. IMHO, Aerial is one of many subtle design elements that make the ATV 4 the best media player on the market. However, the lack of configuration / information options in the menu can be highly frustrating. Hopefully a future tvOS release will include some enhancements.

In the meantime, the Aerial screensaver also looks great on a Mac:

https://github.com/JohnCoates/Aerial/blob/master/Readme.md

7. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

It's simple -- SNAFU.

Don't complain here, it won't be heard. Let Apple know.

8. mic j macrumors 68030

Can't we express an opinion about something on a forum? What's are forums for?

9. ehzool thread starter macrumors member

I was mostly posting here to see if I'm doing something wrong/if somebody knows a way to fix it. I've already sent Apple Feedback

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

He suggested that you conplain directly to Apple so that the complaint actually accomplishes something. Furthermore, he actually found and provided the link.

And you're seriously complaining? Get a grip.

11. Tech198 macrumors G4

any more than software updates actually auto download.... My setting for this has been 'on' from day 1. and i can say to this day i've never got an update downloaded even if i leave it for a week.

12. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

ok, I meant to reply earlier.

We went to Disney a couple weeks back. in that time our power went out at the house. Came back home to find new Screensavers (for me at least) on my AppleTV. maybe 3-4 new ones.

I am not sure if it was by chance, since we didn't use it in a while, because the power went out and maybe it reset, or just the time Apple decides to send out new screensaver to people after owning the device for X months.

but I am glad to see them. Some new deserts, china(?), night scenes, etc.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

+1 for this link to install on your Mac
    I don't use the Aerial screensaver on my Apple TV, I have photos from trips and such that cycle through
    But I do have it loaded on both my MBP and my MBA and it is fantastic there
    You can even set a different view for each monitor if you so choose
    Mesmerizing

14. fennerwl macrumors newbie

Hey all - I really like the aerial screensavers, but where are they all held and how can i choose which ones to play and which ones to delete? been looking everywhere and can't find it.

15. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

These options don't exist...at least right now