Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Three months ago I began an experiment to discover for myself how well the 12.9 iPad Pro (gen 3) with ASK could replace a Mac laptop, used alongside an iMac and a Windows laptop (which I need for occasional but essential tasks).

The answer is very well. There are a few tasks I can't do on the iPad but the Windows laptop can do them when away from base, or the iMac at home. There is some frustration learning the iOS way of doing things. It requires some effort pitting in to learn to use it.

However the real point of this post is that three weeks ago I replaced the Windows laptop with a Microsoft Surface GO (128GB with 8GB RAM version, with 256 GB microSD). I have switched it from Windows 10s to full Windows 10.

Not fast, but it does everything I need of it and for me quite usable. I believe there is no other device that runs a full desktop OS on a 10 inch screen. As a tablet the iPad Pro is much nicer to use but I do find myself using the GO instead of the big iPP for Kindle reading sometimes.

It has made realise how utterly wonderful it would be if I could run macOS on my iPP and have trackpad, mouse, external USB-C storage etc

Since using my Surface Pro 6 (due to the fact Apple haven't fixed the keyboard issues on MacBooks yet) i have found it to be more useful as a laptop! i still love to use my iPad Pro and iMac. Apple devices look better and the OS (both MacOS and IOS) are cleaner looking and more refined. That being said there are things i like about the Surface such as the kickstand, being able to adjust it at any angle is really useful.

I'm an Apple guy, i have been since 2009 when i had my first iPhone, however i do appreciate the Surface line up more just lately. But if i had to choose between a Mac and Surface i would still choose a Mac every time.

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Since using my Surface Pro 6 (due to the fact Apple haven't fixed the keyboard issues on MacBooks yet) i have found it to be more useful as a laptop! i still love to use my iPad Pro and iMac. Apple devices look better and the OS (both MacOS and IOS) are cleaner looking and more refined. That being said there are things i like about the Surface such as the kickstand, being able to adjust it at any angle is really useful.

I'm an Apple guy, i have been since 2009 when i had my first iPhone, however i do appreciate the Surface line up more just lately. But if i had to choose between a Mac and Surface i would still choose a Mac every time.

I have a Surface Pro 5 and it’s awful on a plane when using the kickstand. the viewing angle is impossible because if you slightly touch it it falls off the tray.

I purchased the Surface because I wanted a dedicated LTE device, but regret my purchase. I don’t like switching OS and my whole life is on apple os.

Also, the surface, while a good laptop, the tablet part is terrible and Windows computers are just not as fluid as Apple ones, to me.

At this point, I’m trying to decide between an MacBook 12” or a MacBook Air. I just bought both and will decide in 14 days which I want to keep. I’ll just use the hotspot on my phone, and a VPN to make up for a dedicated LTE connection.

Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I have a Surface Pro 5 and it’s awful on a plane when using the kickstand. the viewing angle is impossible because if you slightly touch it it falls off the tray.

I purchased the Surface because I wanted a dedicated LTE device, but regret my purchase. I don’t like switching OS and my whole life is on apple os.

Also, the surface, while a good laptop, the tablet part is terrible and Windows computers are just not as fluid as Apple ones, to me.

At this point, I’m trying to decide between an MacBook 12” or a MacBook Air. I just bought both and will decide in 14 days which I want to keep. I’ll just use the hotspot on my phone, and a VPN to make up for a dedicated LTE connection.

I'm not sure about when traveling, i've just been using it at home. I agree about it being a bad tablet, but it's a good laptop. I do personally prefer MacOS and Apple devices, they are more refined, cleaner and look much better. The Apple ecosystem is also awesome, when using my Mac i can use the photos app along with a photo i've just taken on my iPhone, i can't do that on the Surface. I can also use my Apple music subscription on my Mac. There are just so many different things that i can do on the Mac that i can't on the Surface Pro.

I was going to buy the 2018 Macbook Air, but the keyboard issue's have put me off, now i'm waiting until Apple fix them. Until then i'm using my Surface Pro 6, iMac 2012 (not updated that until Apple release redesign) and iPad Pro.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Does anyone have any problems with getting their Apple Watch to unlock the MacBook? Mine only works around 50% of the time. When it doesn't work it says "enter password to enable Apple Watch to unlock this MacBook".

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Does anyone have any problems with getting their Apple Watch to unlock the MacBook? Mine only works around 50% of the time. When it doesn't work it says "enter password to enable Apple Watch to unlock this MacBook".

I don't have a MB any more but I have the same problem from time to time with my iMac.

I can always get it working again by turning off the setting in S & P Sys Prefs. Then Rebooting both iMac and watch, then turning the setting on again. Always works until the next time it doesn't.

PS you might get better replies starting a new thread as it is a bit off topic in this one.

EDIT....going to have to modify the above. My AW4 hasn't been unlocking my iMac for a week or two but I haven't minded enough to go through the above....but I just did, twice, and can't get my watch to unlock my iMac.

More tips here. Tried the easy ones without success. Never had this much trouble before.

Last edited:
Reactions: AVBeatMan

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I'm not sure about when traveling, i've just been using it at home. I agree about it being a bad tablet, but it's a good laptop. I do personally prefer MacOS and Apple devices, they are more refined, cleaner and look much better. The Apple ecosystem is also awesome, when using my Mac i can use the photos app along with a photo i've just taken on my iPhone, i can't do that on the Surface. I can also use my Apple music subscription on my Mac. There are just so many different things that i can do on the Mac that i can't on the Surface Pro.

I was going to buy the 2018 Macbook Air, but the keyboard issue's have put me off, now i'm waiting until Apple fix them. Until then i'm using my Surface Pro 6, iMac 2012 (not updated that until Apple release redesign) and iPad Pro.

I am not and never have been interested in the Surface or Surface Pro, whatever it's called, as in the end it's, um....a Microsoft product. It has been years since I've had to deal with Windows in any sort of form and I have no plans to change that!

As for choosing between what is available right now from Apple, the 12" MacBook or the 13" MacBook Air, I would still choose the 12" MacBook, especially for travel. For everyday use, well, maybe give thought to something else, such as a MacBook Pro, but for me the newest iteration of the MacBook Air just doesn't cut the mustard. Nothing to do with the keyboard, I have had no issues with the keyboard on my 2017 12" MacBook or my 2018 15" MacBook Pro, but no idea of what might be happening with that MBA. it's just the overall specs of the 2018 MBA that are problematic or potentially problematic to me, especially the screen.... If I am going to haul around a 13" anything, I would go with the 13" MBP rather than the MacBook Air. Both are indeed heavier and larger in dimension than the sleek 12" MacBook..... OK, both have an advantage of having an additional port, but when traveling, how often does one really need to use that second port? For me, the better screen on the 12" MacBook works just fine and I can find ways to work around the one port situation if I have to do so. The lighter weight and smaller dimensions of the 12" MacBook make a big difference for me when traveling.

Li237

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2019
Pennsylvania
I just switched from a 13" MacBook Pro to the 12" Macbook, and I definitely made the right decision for me. I am not a power user by any means, so I didn't need everything that the Pro models offer. I don't do any type of video or photo editing. Even though I'm on it constantly and take it everywhere with me, I don't do anything major on it. Just web surfing, social networking, bible study research, online evangelism, and Word Docs here, and there. I have no need at the moment for any additional ports. So far this is the perfect machine for me since I keep it in my bag wherever I go. I'm learning a machine is only as good as what you're going to use it for. I have the 2016 model, and so far no regrets.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

I have just discovered how easy and cheap it is to use my 12.9" iPad as a second monitor with my Surface GO!

Just need a USB-C to USB-C cable connecting them and Duet Display installed on iPad and Surface GO:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 23.45.01.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-11 at 23.45.01.png
    956 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Reactions: AxiomaticRubric

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
UPDATE: I have just pulled the trigger and ordered a base 13" Macbook Pro 2019 with 512GB SSD, from Apple's website. I just couldn't wait any longer, there will probably be a redesign next year, but i didn't want to wait another year. I just hope i don't live to regret this!

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
UPDATE: I have just pulled the trigger and ordered a base 13" Macbook Pro 2019 with 512GB SSD, from Apple's website. I just couldn't wait any longer, there will probably be a redesign next year, but i didn't want to wait another year. I just hope i don't live to regret this!
Thought you were after the 12" MacBook?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Thought you were after the 12" MacBook?

I've gone back and forth with different machines, the problem with the 12" Macbook is that hasn't been updated in a while, i also edit photos and video as a hobby (nothing more than 1080p) and the Pro is a much better choice for that. I just didn't want to wait any longer for updates that may or may not be coming.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016

That's great - making hardware purchase decisions can be very difficult. I hope you bond with it!

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
The fact that the MacBook 256GB M3 is currently on sale in the UK at £799 with a two year guarantee makes this MacBook an absolute bargain. Heck, that's even cheaper than my first MacBook, a 2010 white unibody one at £830.

At this price, it's INCREDIBLE in every way!
[doublepost=1560186804][/doublepost]
I've gone back and forth with different machines, the problem with the 12" Macbook is that hasn't been updated in a while, i also edit photos and video as a hobby (nothing more than 1080p) and the Pro is a much better choice for that. I just didn't want to wait any longer for updates that may or may not be coming.
Great choice! A 13.3 MacBook Pro TB with 1TB SSD is my choice for next year!
Got to say though, with FCPX, you'd never have problems editing 1080p on any Mac :)
Also now that the MacBook is £799 it's truly a unique product now!

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
At this price, it's INCREDIBLE in every way!
[doublepost=1560186804][/doublepost]
Great choice! A 13.3 MacBook Pro TB with 1TB SSD is my choice for next year!
Got to say though, with FCPX, you'd never have problems editing 1080p on any Mac :)
Also now that the MacBook is £799 it's truly a unique product now!

I’m very pleased (at the moment) that I decided to go with the 13” MacBook Pro, it’s very snappy for what I use it for. I’m just hoping they have fixed the keyboard issues with this 2019 version.

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I am on a road trip -- second one within a month, actually -- and my little 2017 12" MacBook is once again on the road with me -- really just the perfect traveling companion! I love this thing! Along with her I also bring the iPad mini 5 and between the two of them they fulfill any need. My 15" 2018 MBP rules the roost at home, so this 12" MB is an ideal complement in terms of weight, dimensions and functionality.

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Don’t want to clutter the topic too much more—each of these machines have their merits.

I own the current (16gb of ram, purchased in 2017) model of the MacBook and I own an 11” iPad Pro. I did not want to buy both of them, but I just didn’t quite see enough overlap. With the feature set of iPadOS, I think I will be selling my MacBook. There are still some things I will miss or cannot do. The biggest problem remaining for me is hosting small VMs, which besides Chrome is the reason I have 16gb ram in this little laptop. But with the changes coming and applications like Photoshop coming, I think it is likely time. Which may have been Apple’s reasoning behind not having updated the smallest/lightest laptop, of course.

I could choose to go the other way, but I am just so enamored of all day battery life, even lighter weight, better display, a much better front-facing camera, and having cell service at need. Now with external drive support, some mouse support, better file system support, better multi-tasking support, and what I hope will be better background app support—I think my dream or one lightweight machine for 80% of my non-phone computing needs is about to come true.

I should state that I have and will keep a very powerful desktop with a sizable monitor for a number or “power user” type needs.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
I’m very pleased (at the moment) that I decided to go with the 13” MacBook Pro, it’s very snappy for what I use it for. I’m just hoping they have fixed the keyboard issues with this 2019 version.
Great choice! It's the model that i'd like but heck, it's a lot of money!

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Great choice! It's the model that i'd like but heck, it's a lot of money!

It depends if you use the machine for work, it will pay for itself a number if times over. I got a little bit of a discount so in the end it only cost me £1,832.40. So far it’s a great machine, I’ve spent most the day writing away on it, I find the Touch Bar useful when writing :) the word suggestions on the Touch Bar are very handy.

I will stick with this machine unless I have keyboard issues.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
It depends if you use the machine for work, it will pay for itself a number if times over. I got a little bit of a discount so in the end it only cost me £1,832.40. So far it’s a great machine, I’ve spent most the day writing away on it, I find the Touch Bar useful when writing :) the word suggestions on the Touch Bar are very handy.

I will stick with this machine unless I have keyboard issues.

I'm sure that you'll love it Dave. I love the Touch Bar hence the reason why I fancy one next year plus, I find that it's made all of the other computers with look really dated without it :)
I hope that you are full of creativity whilst having fun using it. I bet that you love the P3 screen :)

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
I bought a 2017 12" MacBook a few days ago.
Love it so far
Replacing my 2013 11" MacBook Air. It's overall size is smaller, but a bigger and high resolution screen, twice the RAM and SSD storage. I have zero complaints for the £799.

I could not justify the 2018 Air. This fits my usage perfectly.

Reactions: radiologyman

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I'm sure that you'll love it Dave. I love the Touch Bar hence the reason why I fancy one next year plus, I find that it's made all of the other computers with look really dated without it :)
I hope that you are full of creativity whilst having fun using it. I bet that you love the P3 screen :)

It's a very nice feature to have, I love using it with various apps/programs. Other computers look very weird without seeing the Touch Bar, the MacBook Air which I saw in the Apple store looked outdated without a Touch Bar at the top of the keyboard.

It's definitely helping me creative wise :) I use it daily for hours at a time. The battery life is also great, especially when writing. The P3 Display is something I notice more when editing photos in Pixelmator Pro. Altho I can definitely tell the difference between the screen on this machine vs what I had before with my 2011 MacBook Pro.

Well worth a buy, just be aware of the keyboard and potential issues (which Apple may of fixed with this latest 2019 version).

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

nihil0

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
My wife has base model 2016 12-inch Macbook (m3 CPU/8 GB RAM/256 GB SSD) and recently I had opportunity to really put it under stress. We were traveling and I needed to edit photos. I shoot on Nikon D750 and D810 so I was editing 24 and 36 MPx photos and I used Photoshop and Luminar 3.1.0 for that. Worfklow: open RAW photo, adjust settings in Camera RAW, use new Content Aware retouching feature to get rid of some unwanted background elements, load Luminar 3 and use my custom presets there to give it final touch. I was very suprised that when compared to my iMac it was, of course, slower but not sluggish at all! For long time work it would not be great because it takes more time to do certain tasks (for example what my iMac does in 2 seconds, it takes 10 seconds on MB) but I certainly managed to edit the photos very well. Most bottleneck was RAM (8 GB was filled pretty quick) and I was suprised that CPU did not rise above 70°C and did not throttle at all (and it was VERY HOT inside and outside our room). The biggest downside is the 12-inch screen (for such large photos it is too small). So, to sum it up, while not for primary work, this certainly can function as some kind of workstation if needed and it does not put itself to shame at all.

nameischarles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
I still use my 2015 Intel Core M model till this day as my go-to travel laptop when I go on holidays.

When I'm at home, it's a good laptop to use while having a snack and lounging around the house but the majority of the time I use my 15" TB MacBook Pro or iMac for work or intensive applications.

Still a great laptop but I may retire it soon and get a 13" TB MacBook Pro for travelling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.