Who actually makes video calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aussiemac86, Jun 7, 2009.

?

How often do you make video calls from your phone?

1. Daily

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Weekly

6 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. Occasionally (every couple of months or so)

6 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Never

54 vote(s)
    37.8%
  5. I've never owned a video call capable phone

72 vote(s)
    50.3%
  1. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

With the rumours circulating regarding a front facing video camera for the next iPhone I was wondering how many people actually make video calls.

Please answer the poll in regards to the last time you had a phone with the ability to make video calls (which could of course be at present if you have one now).

I'm from Australia, and apart from people playing with a new phone they just got I don't think I've ever seen anyone make a video call.

Cheers

2. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I've never owned a capable phone.

I'd imagine the people on both ends would need a capable phone, yes? For now, I see it as a gimmick. In the future, I could see it becoming a big thing. (I myself have no desire to have video calls)

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Yes, but it's the fact that it CAN! Imagine the possibilities... or selling points.

4. HurricaneDC macrumors newbie

Never owned one. I could see it becoming big if it's on the next iPhone though. The Apple name alone will move units, and given how many people have iPhones nowadays, at some point they'll end up upgrading.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

While the idea may seem trivial, if anyone was to do it'd right -- and make it cool to do -- it'd be Apple. It'd be easy and fun, unlike most anything else out there in the market right now.

And that's why Apple's products are seen as superior.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I had video calling on my previous phone and never used it. My current phone doesn't have support for it, but I don't miss it.

7. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

On one hand -- yeah, don't knock a concept until Apple has had a go at it. My previous 3G phone had both a web browser and a front-facing video cam, and I never used either. Since I'm using the iPhone's web browser all the time, what's to say that Apple's implementation of video chat won't have the same effect?

On the other hand, most people don't give a crap about webcams. It sounds like a great idea, so you go out and buy one (or a laptop with a built-in cam), but when you actually try it it's like... oh. Hmm. This is kind of awkward. Neither my pretty nor my ugly friends are comfortable using video chat. It's as if removing the cozy abstraction layer inherent in SMS and instant messaging suddenly renders people speechless.

8. The General macrumors 601

I've never had a phone that could do it before, but I video chat with my girlfriend several times a week. She lives in SF, I live in Bakersfield.

If Apple does put iChat on the iPhone, it obviously will work with iChat on the Mac also. Then, I can video chat with my girlfriend even if she doesn't get the new iPhone.

The new iPhone should be able to video chat with any Mac.

9. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

I don't think I'd use it so much to video chat with other people, but to transmit live video period. If something cool is happening then I can relay that information as if the other person was there. I was looking for a specific tool today and my father was trying to explain to me how it looked like. Video chat would have been EXTREMELY helpful. Not the best example, but I would have put it to use for sure.

10. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i personally have never had a phone capable of video chat but i can only imagine if i did i would use it almost all the time ( and in return, would be bringing my charger with me to work :p ). But all this is coming from someone who lives away from familly and video chats online more than 10 hrs a week at times with my father or friends or step mother, niece//nephew so :p

just my 2 cents for now, there is more... im just about to fall asleep at the computer :p

11. kinkster macrumors 6502a

It could be useful as enhanced picture messaging. Call up your friend, turn your phone around, and they can see whatever your seeing.

Besides that and calling The General's girlfriend, I doubt I'd end up using it much.

12. churchrd macrumors member

At the moment it does seem kind of gimmicky. Maybe a few years from now we'll all be making video calls all the time. IDK.

I was really hoping they would move to more of a business route with the next gen. Something to take more of RIM's market share. IMHO iPhone Video seems more like a toy/fun media device.

If anyone could make video calls cool and common place, it would be apple though.

And no, i've never made a video call in my life.

Bring on WWDC!!

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

A few years ago when video phones were released here in Japan they were the rage. Everyone seemed to have to get one. As the novelty of this function wore off, many never used it again.

What seems to be the norm is that when you first get a new phone that has new features you use them. Then as time goes on fewer of the new features are used.

So would I use video chat. Probably not much. Although it would be a nice capability to have when needed.

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

In the UK, video calls are more expensive than regular calls, so that's one reason why it hasn't taken off.
    If any phone could make video calling popular, it's the iPhone. People would embrace it, simply because it would bring video calling into focus again, rather than it's current status of an ignored feature on other devices.

15. Merkie macrumors 68020

It will never be a thing. Phones with video calling capabilities have been available for years in Europe, and I've never seen anyone make a video call. Nobody uses it.
    Why are you calling The General's girlfriend?

16. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Ok then. (I could care less if it ever comes to fruition or not. :p I don't plan on ever needing to make video calls.)

17. fratboy macrumors regular

i do daily .. my sister lives in south carolina .. my dad in phoenix arizona... my mom lives an hour away.. i talk to them via skype on my computer it would be really nice to get video chat

18. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

never actually

i owned like 3 phone that can do video calls

but meh, turns out they have no use at all

we have skype that can deliver a more smoother videos, and i dont get why you must see the person when making a call

but it's just me

19. NSK123 macrumors regular

NSK123

At one time I saw a deaf person at a restaurant with a clamshell video phone placed on the table in front of him... with him doing his signlanguage thing with his hands.

I guess the market is there, just not with Iphone users though..

20. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

I think one of the reasons video calls aren't popular is because people are used to holding a phone to their ear. Does the iPhone have a handsfree kit, because without one a video call would require you to hold the phone in front of you at a very short distance. On my phone its almost impossible for someone to hear me unless the phone is right next to my mouth.

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

From what I recall, this is quite a sought after feature in Japan. Although a poster above implied that this fad has ended. I imagine it could kill battery life...

22. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

So your saying deaf people can't use iPhones?:mad:

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I never have and never will. At work we had a room set up for video calls through a computer and a large webcam. It was very cool. A video call on my cell seems stupid as all hell.

24. shk718 macrumors 6502a

this is sort of like asking who listens to music on their phone - or surfs the web or buys movie tickets or buys apps - well no one did until the iphone came out (and many phones could do all of these things). when apple does video chat people will use it, they may not now - but they will.

25. Asar macrumors regular

just give me ichat video over wifi, and im happy. ;)