Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kinkokoro

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Do you have problems with using your Macbook as your main computer? Are there (certin) limitations that bug you?

Thanks..

Josh

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
Mine is my main machine, too, and I've had no issues. I have the midlevel MB: 2.16GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 1GB RAM, SD, etc. It's a fabulous little machine. I'm very happy.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
13.3" isn't as big as 20", but then again I can't use a 20" computer in my bedroom as well as my living room.

The notebooks are almost as powerful as the desktops, so you really aren't losing much by going down the MacBook path :)

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
13.3" isn't as big as 20", but then again I can't use a 20" computer in my bedroom as well as my living room.

The notebooks are almost as powerful as the desktops, so you really aren't losing much by going down the MacBook path :)

If you add an external monitor, you're not really loosing anything. External monitor, keyboard and mouse and you've got a desktop. ^_^

cmuench

macrumors member
May 15, 2007
I have a 2.16 Macbook with 2gigs of RAM and 120gig hard drive. Plus I have a 120 external. Also I have a 20" monitor and a wireless MM. Plus a new keyboard. So I think of my macbook more as a desktop that I can take anywear :)

Oh yeah. Plus I have parallels with vista business

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I use my MBP as my primary machine, and my big PC at home is mostly just a storage server. I can connect to it via RDC if necessary, but for the most part my MBP is my main machine.

That said, the only issue I've had is running out of hard drive space, but that's (relatively) easily remedied.

damienvfx

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I use my MBP C2D, 2.33 as my main home computer and my work computer. I have a 24" monitor with bluetooth MM and keyboard. It works great! I even play WoW on this thing.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
My MacBook is my primary (and in fact only) computer, and I've no issues at all with using a laptop. The only possible quibble is that with certain apps I'd maybe benefit from a bigger screen – stuff like Photoshop or Illustrator for example, where there are a lot of palettes floating around. Mind, this is easily rectified by hooking the mac up to a bigger screen, and the apps themselves run very smoothly.

But really I've no complaints at all so far.

bijou

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
MBP as my primary, with a Dell 2407-HC, bt keyboard and mouse added when at the desk.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
i do, with a dell 2407 wfp external monitor. No problems, except that microsoft office for mac is a bit buggy (especially excel). Also, you probably will want an external hard drive if you are going to be using lots of window's only apps through bootcamp, as you might need to if you are into gaming or engineering.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
MB is my main machine. See pic.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 220

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
MBP 2.33 with a 30" attached. Good stuff.

Sounds sweet. How does the MBP run with the 30" display (much hotter, etc)? Also, are there any hiccups with the graphics card when running in dual monitor mode?

I know: lots of questions! I'm debating investing in a 30" display.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I use a macbook pro, and it's a great machine. As a student, I find the notebook to be great. I think you'll find that the macbook is a great machine that can do quite a lot.

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Lots of issues depending on the screen. Basically I can have only 5 days of uptime with it because various apps just hang or freeze when I plug in and out of my external monitor.

I have a nasty habit of running +20 apps at the time and I guess the instability is a RAM issue mostly.

Still I have doubts buying a MBP later on because I am pretty scared that the same instabality will surface yet again.

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
My MB is not my primary computer, but I use it at the Uni almost everyday, several hs. It is my first Mac, so took me a bit to get custom to it. I came from Linux (not that I dropped it), so I'm a bit more open minded regarding GUIs. But I really like the console :).

Complaints : well, the keyboard behaves strange. compared to Linux. The Fx keys are weird, and do not behave the same in an external kbd as in the MB. But that is almost solved, with a little of practice.

The screen has a bit of limited viewing angle. Especially vertically, and I'm quite tall, so when it is sitting at a desk, I have to curve my back to see properly. At home I use it with an external monitor, so no issue. My other laptops have better viewing angle.

I have no other complaints. Works well, fast, properly viewed the screen is very nice and not as glossy as my one of my other laptops.

Sadly, for what I do, I'd be better with a MBP (screen size). I do programming, a bit of Flex Builder, Netbeans.

I'm already considering my next Mac, mid next year :) :apple:, and lusting at every new Mac. :apple:

Artagra

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Lots of issues depending on the screen. Basically I can have only 5 days of uptime with it because various apps just hang or freeze when I plug in and out of my external monitor.

I have a nasty habit of running +20 apps at the time and I guess the instability is a RAM issue mostly.

Bleh that's frustrating..... what external screen do you use?

I routinely keep my macbook on for 10 days + without a reboot (only occasionally closing firefox) with 15 or so apps open, plugging in and out of an external screen 2 or 3 times a day and I haven't had any issues. What LCD have you got?

In response to the original poster - I use my Macbook as my only machine and have no major issues. Once thing I would recommend if you are used to desktop machines is to get a 7200rpm hard drive - personally, I can feel the (relative) sluggishness on a 5400rpm drive.

Otherwise, I would say buy the real Apple keyboard. I'm using a different external USB keyboard at the moment, and the positioning differences between the mac keyboard and windows keyboard for Apple/Windows key etc make using shortcuts a bit of a hit and miss affair.

Finally, an extra adapter is definitely a plus. I had one for my previous Sony, and I found being able to leave one plugged in, nicely routed on my desk and having a second in my laptop bag was a big convenience booster.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
No problems at all. I use it side by side with an XP laptop and well, the MBP is the obviously the most dependable. My MBPs Safari Browser has only crashed once since the beginning of July, IE on my XP laptop has crashed entirely too many times, more than I could ever count in the same time.

It does everything I ask it to do and always wants more. Can't wait to get a second one so I can dump PCs completely.

My MBP main uses are internet and occasionally editing a few photos in Aperture and managing music on my iPhone. Another laptop handles my iPod (just makes things easy that way for now).

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
I for the last couple of years have used nothing but laptops, I love them because IF there is a hurricane or bad weather, I can throw it in my trunk and go :)
I Use a MBP but had the macbook and that was good too :)

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I still use my PB 1.33 12" as my primary computer. I'll finally be upgrading to a MacBook when the new ones come out. Got a nice external monitor and I'm good to go. Unless you really need the extra power of the latest desktop, it just isn't necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.