Who can recommend me a good SCSI drive?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Oct 15, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hey everyone,

So I have never purchased a pre-IDE hard drive before, and I am not entirely sure what to look for. The hard drive in my Macintosh IIci does not turn on upon boot, and I want to buy a working one for it. I COULD search "Macintosh IIci HD" on eBay, but if I search one specifically for my Mac (or any select computer), it will probably cost more.

Can someone find a good eBay deal on the correct hard drive to put in my Macintosh IIci? What would be nicer is an IDE to SCSI converter bay, if that even exists. Even if it does, I would probably need to partition my drive a lot anyway for OS 7 to boot.

I'd like a drive that isn't any smaller in storage capacity than one that would have normally shipped with the IIci. Does it sound realistic to not want to spend any more than $30?

Thanks!

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Try searching for "50 pin internal SCSI" on Ebay...I bought a couple a while back(512mb, 1gb, and 2gb) on Ebay in a lot with a bunch of IDE drives(40gb-160gb), and I think that the whole lot was about your price shipped.

Many of the 50 pin SCSI drives I see for sale are Apple OEM drives. At least a lot of the more recent ones seem to have been made by Quantum, although if I'm not mistaken Seagate also made them, and even Maxtor at one time.

3. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Will-do, thanks for the info! (this is a rather sleepy side of MacRumors compared to the PowerPC section xD)

4. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

also

Look up older server scsi drives and a 50 pin to 68 pin adapter with termination. These are newer larger drives that will last a little longer since they are newer and a lot more space for way cheaper.

The adapter won't fit in Performas or LC versions usually but the rest of the macs usually have plenty of room.

5. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Is there a listing you could show me? What usually comes up for me are expensive SCSI drives a other results such as cables and adapters.

6. Lord Blackadder, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

For my IIci, I'm currently running an old 2GB Seagate Hawk that I pulled out of an old PII server many years ago. It's about as loud as a chainsaw when it is running. I'm pretty sure it's an enterprise/server class drive. These are usually more reliable but have always been expensive, and loud. I looked this drive up on ebay and my hair stood on end when I saw what people were charging...

I probably have 4-5 working SCSI drives left laying around in my old Macs. Sadly, all of the impossible-to-replace 2.5" SCSI laptop drives in my three old PowerBook 1xx-series machines have failed. :(

The problem with getting one of these used 50-pin SCSI drives is that they are old, have probably logged thousands of hours of use and who knows how much longer they will last - maybe a year, maybe a week. They are generally not repairable when they fail.

One solution I'm seriously considering is a SCSI to SD card adapter. A fellow in Australia makes these and they are popular among the vintage Mac crowd (not to mention users of Amigas and some older audio equipment that used SCSI drives).

They aren't particularly cheap, but then again old SCSI drives that still work are starting to become more expensive, and this SD solution is far quieter, far more reliable and consumes less power.

7. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I can't recommend you a good SCSI drive. They're all ****.