Who can recommend me an open-source CMS?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by youlichika, Oct 17, 2010.

1. youlichika macrumors member

Who can recommend me an open-source CMS?
    1: I need the url can make www.site.com/index.php?user=admin
    everyone has a seprete url.
    2: It can modify home page easily, add js, css, and can add any php code, include, require_once, etc.
    Thanks.

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Check out Drupal and Joomla. Both open source. Personally, I like Drupal a bit better.

But then again, there are literaly dozens of other options, and hence a lot of discussion of which one is better. Check this site for a CMS comparisson.

cheers!

3. youlichika thread starter macrumors member

Hi, I have tried Joomla, it did not support a user url like www.site.com/index.php?user=admin

And when I use require_once something in drupal, it backs wrong in includes/common.inc on line 1695, function drupal_eval($code).

I cost many time to search on their support forums, but no many useful answers can solved my questions. So I gave up both of them and deside to try onthers.

4. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

There are lots of CMS packages out there. Try CMS Made Simple and, if you're willing to get your hands dirty with a bit of code, Silver Stripe.

In the end, for my own website, I went with WordPress. It's not strictly designed to be a CMS but it is getting there, and with its plugin architecture, it can do all the things I need, with a really easy configuration interface.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Sounds like WordPress is for you.

Just as an FYI, the user URL format like you requested is a security risk and very prone to SQL injection and manipulation. Not to mention not very human friendly or SEO optimized. When CMS's convert to friendly URL format such as www.site.com/user/1/admin it doesn't mean user is named admin, but user account 1, referenced by session/database record server side and accessing the admin portion of the CMS, not a user name which some users would not want to be published. Also, you can require_once files in Drupal, but only in certain files or any block/panel/view due to how it handles the boostrap and module loading, and best to use their API anyway when modifying behavior (whatever your included file does). Most API's are not for novices (not saying you are, I'm talking generally).

-jim

6. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

7. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

WordPress all the way. It's so easy to use it's painful. A million different plug-ins, and most of them are free.

8. youlichika thread starter macrumors member

Thanks friends, I am now trying WP and DRUPAL.

9. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

concrete5 does look pretty cool, I am however a little troubled by the amount developers seem to be charging for simple addons.

$55 to add Blog?!
    $50 to add Mailing List with group mailing and subscriptions??
    $55 to add Discussion Forums?

It seems to me that these are basic things for most other CMS solutions.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I use Get Simple for small sites because it's easy to understand for my clients, and SilverStripe for larger projects.

Both are very stable and easy to work with once you get your hands a bit dirty. Wordpress for me was problematic - not necessarily it itself, but my way of working. I found it a bit clunky. It's made as a publishing platform, not a CMS, so in some areas it's going to be overkill, while lacking certain nice options.