Who carries a camera while riding a bicycle?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 100Teraflops, Apr 3, 2011.

1. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Well, it is that time of the season in the Mid-West. I do not ride during the winter, call me whatever you would like. :D I plan to carry my camera while bike riding and I would like to hear other people's stories and tips, good or bad. My plan is to keep the shiny side up and plan ahead so I neither damage me nor the bicycle. LOL

I have a Lowepro Adventura 170 case for my camera body and lenses. I plan to strap the case across my body. Think of Rambo and the way he carried ammunition. Sorry, could not resist such a masculine example. What case do you use? Any carrying tips? Good or bad experiences? Thanks in advance! :)

Oh yeah, I have both a mountain and road bike.

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Get a helmet cam - They are getting better and better. I believe there are some that have a remote operation of sorts. Hands free pix by pointing at it, except without a viewfinder you may have to take a lot of shots :)

The video is neat from helmet cams as well.

3. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Excellent advice and I will look into it! But, what if you ditch the bike for a good shot?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Maybe supplemented by iPhone 4 camera (with waterproof case), now if some company can make an accessory can charge your iPhone when you ride.

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

I've been riding with a small Canon P&S for around 10 years. My first, an S10, survived a crash that sent me to the hospital for a couple of surgeries. I currently take an S90 along with me on rides. I stick them in my jersey pocket where they're safe enough. I don't like to carry much weight with me, so the DSLR stays home.

Attached Files:

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I plan to ride first and then shoot, using my bike as transportation to a shoot location. I have a small Kata backpack for this.

Look Here on B&H

Dale

7. jabbott, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

jabbott macrumors 6502

I sometimes carry an old Canon Powershot S410 with me while biking, and it is small enough to keep in my cycling jersey pocket. Without too much effort, I can pull it out of my pocket, turn it on and get some decent photos while riding. I've also used zip-ties to secure a carrying pouch for it to my handlebars. Both methods work well. If the camera were to fall and break, I wouldn't care very much because it is fairly low value by now.

I've also biked with my SLR before, using the Tamrac Express 7 messenger bag. I definitely wouldn't try operating it while biking though. :)

[​IMG]

8. 100Teraflops, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thanks for the suggestion Sir. As far as charging a phone while riding, that is another story. :)

I still have my Sony P&S, so that is an idea. It is good to hear you recovered from the accident, as I have wrecked motorcycles more than I would like to admit. I should focus on riding and not worry about taking photos. Thanks for the reply Sir.

Thanks for the link Dale! I have a backpack, but it is not designed to hold a camera and lenses. Also, your analogy to ride first and shot second is good advice. That is my goal and I should have been more specific in the original post. Thanks for sharing Sir.

Another vote for a trusty P&S! I will look into a bag that attaches to the handlebar or seat post. Also, thanks for recommending the Tamrac 7 messenger bag. That photo is what I want to capture during a "ride." Nice! :)

Well, the census is to use the old and cheap P&S. My P&S should fit into my jersey pocket or a fanny pack, as the DSLR will not. If I wrecked, then I would be upset for destroying my DSLR. Of course my safety is paramount, the bicycle, then the camera. Not necessarily ranked by monetary value. :D

Admittedly, I am rather anal about where I ride my bikes. I ride the road bike on paved trails to prevent a collision with a cager. My experience riding motorcycles has taught me several lessons about "sharing" the road with our four-wheeled friends. However, accidents can happen any time or place, so thanks for destroying my hopes of taking decent shots of wildlife and scenery while out on a ride. ;) Any other stories or advice for gear etc..?

9. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Im going on a 350 mile bike tour next week and planning on taking my 400d with me with a 18-250mm lens. I've got a crumpler jimmer 400? case thing that I got free with a lens I bought second hand. Might use that with a small backpack on and panniers on my bike rack. Might take my 50mm 1.8 too if space/weight allows. Hopefully I wont fall and break them! Keeping them in a bag would be a decent protection though.

Also thought about taking my iPhone 4 and getting a waterproof case/mount but I want one which would charge it from the wheel spinning too and cant find one. I didnt want to spend much either.

I'll let you know what I go with. Any advice welcome too as im in the same situation! :)

10. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I've carried small P&S cameras for years on the bike. The last couple Years, I've been carrying a Nikon Coolpix S600.

11. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Sounds like fun! Is rain in the forecast in sunny England? LOL I would put your camera and lenses in a plastic bag, and then place them into your Crumpler Jimmer 400 that way you have you extra protection against rain and some cushion if you taste pavement. I am providing advice to protect your gear from inclement weather and by no means am I questioning your intelligence. :D The iPhone 4 wheel charger sounds cool. Please, keep us in the loop Sir! :cool:

Yet another vote for a P&S. Is the Nikon Coolpix larger than a traditional P&S? Thanks for sharing Sir.

12. mtnbikemama macrumors member

Another P&S

I primarily mountain bike and carry with me an Olympus Stylus Tough 6000. It's a decent little camera that serves me well while kayaking and sailing, too. I have carried my Nikon D70 w/ an 18-200 lens in my pack. It was heavy, and I felt it was a bit vulnerable, and I rode much more carefully than I would otherwise. Years ago (pre digital :eek:) I had a case that was form fitting to my Nikkormat SLR and a strap that was sort of like suspenders with a belt. I would "wear" my camera under my coat while downhill skiing & snowmobiling. Never damaged the camera although I took a couple falls that felt like a punch to the gut. I haven't seen anything like that in long time, but, then again, I haven't looked for it either!;) I would love to see/hear about what you come up with. I ride in some beautiful places and always wish I had my dslr w/ me.

13. X2468 macrumors regular

14. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I carry a small Canon S90 in a belt case pretty much everywhere I go. I hated lugging around a DSLR so I sold it.

15. 100Teraflops, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

100Teraflops

Interesting story and thanks for sharing. I will not take a DSLR kayaking, as my camera is not waterproof. :eek: As far as mountain biking, lugging around a DSLR would be a bit much, but as you stated: just ride low key and one will survive. A backpack sounds like a good choice and that is what I will do. I am not hardcore though, as riding styles are an important aspect of the decision process. Carrying a camera and lens 'Rambo" style may not be optimal, but who am I to judge?

The plan is to maintain my normal riding style, while hopping off the bike for an occasional photo or so.

What is an iPhone? I need one of those handy devices. :D

I hear ya, but I just bought a DSLR. LOL However, I plan to carry a 60d with me everywhere I go, but it has not worked out like that. I will keep people posted about this one. Carrying a P&S seems to be the logical choice and if the target is directly in front of you, then the P&S will shine.

I like to capture animals and being that they are fast movers, the trusty P&S would be ruled out due to the lack of frames per second. I will experiment with a P&S, but I intend to avoid the trusty P&S even though it is the logical choice.

Skiing and snowboarding should provide excellent photos, as location usually rules, but that may be a tricky environment to capture "on film." I neither snowboard nor ski, as my voice is simply an opinion and not an experience of the actual event itself.

Here is what we know thus far:

1. A P&S is the popular choice due to size and weight. The convenience factor if you will. The happy medium and the logical choice.

2. A backpack is a solution when contemplating the use of a SLR, but it may cram one's style, hence creating negative psychological affects that are not mentally healthy. Also, safety is paramount and this cannot be understated. Who wants to visit a doc only to be treated with multiple surgeries?

3. The cost of the camera and lenses are legitimate concerns, as most folks do not possess 'war buck disposable incomes.' Is this the number one consideration? It probably is, but we are not as willing to point this out. Or we do so sub-consciencely.

4. The priority of the "ride" over the photo shoot. Is this the purpose we ride a bicycle to begin with? I digress by stating, "we want more."

5. An extension of number 4, but utilizing new technology such as charging an iPhone with the energy created from the spokes of the spinning wheel(s.) The helmet cam and associated devices and gadgets. Technology is a bicyclists friend. Not only where it is applicable, but where it is desired too!

I am sure I left something out and there are more stories and ideas out there. :)

16. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

17. jabbott macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention this earlier... for longer distance rides, if you really want to carry an SLR instead of a P&S, you may want to consider panniers. I recommend Axiom panniers because they are extremely well made. Just make sure you use a padded bag to store your gear, then place that in one of the panniers for added protection and weather-proofing. Then the other pannier can carry extra water, a change of clothing/shoes, sunblock, or you can just leave the other pannier off. You'll find it is much nicer to not have weight on your shoulders while riding!

18. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Just bought all my kit for my 350 tour ride. Got a pair of 23 litre panniers = 46 litres + my top pannier about 10.

I'll also have a light Backpack on for other stuff.

Will definitely take my DSLR and the 50mm fits in the crumpler as well with 2 additional batteries. The crumpler will either be strapped to me, in my backpack or in the 100% waterproof panniers on back depending on comfort of each option and weather.

I will probably take my iphone 4 in my backpack or wrapped up in a pannier in case I need it for maps, contacts, music etc... The idea of having it mounted on handle bars would be took expensive for me and without the charger device, pretty pointless as battery will last 2 days tops. This system was way too expensive but just a thought!

Weather is meant to be sunny when I start on monday. It's been very bad so far but looks like suns going to break through!

Just need to buy some waterproofs too just in case.

Can't wait!

DSLR the way! I want brilliant photos and going to get them. the weight and space of my dslr is fine

19. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Here is a link to a company that makes camera bags and backpacks for biking and skiing. Most of the packs have a water bladder. Check out the waist packs and chest packs.

Clik Elite

Luke: Nice to see you back. I'm sure they have been keeping you busy in Uni. Your design site was slow to load the first time around and your personal site has black bars over a lot of the buttons...Sorry, had to say that...:)

Dale

20. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I bet it takes good photos, otherwise you would not use it. :) The size is just the run of the mill P&S. :D

I have to research panniers, as they sound very useful. Admittedly, I use to carry weight on my shoulders while riding long distance on another two-wheeled variant of a bicycle, but never while pedal pushing. I like the fact one can carry extra water, lenses etc..

Well Sir, you are ready for the trip! I will research panniers and other weatherproofing options, as I plan to get wet this riding season. Being wet does not bother me, but I have to be comfortable though. I plan to replace an iPhone 3G sometime this year and I will buy an iPhone 4 or an iPhone 5, saying it launches this year. I need another battery as a backup, especially if I ride a century plus.

How long will it take you to ride 350 miles? Are you riding alone?

21. 100Teraflops, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

100Teraflops

Thanks again Dale! You are the true forum surfer. :D I need a dedicated bicycling backpack and your recommendations are excellent options.

EDIT: I checked out the clik elite backpacks and I am impressed. I like the fact there is a pocket for a camelback etc.. built into some models. I have a list of all the recommend gear included in this thread. Thanks again folks!

22. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

FWIW I often carry a Canon p&s in a pocket, current one an A560. Sometimes I'll bring along a Swiss Gear backpack with a Nikon SLR (among other items). I don't use my Optex camera bag at all riding my bike.

23. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

back from trip this afternoon. I did 125 miles and burnt out. It was pretty damn hard. First couple of days were so hilly, flattened out after but I was burnt and my knees were painful. From monday till today was good enough for me. Brothers still going to the scottish border from Cardiff for Uniceff and sustrians charities.

Support him here if you can :)
    Awesome cause and such a solid brother!

I didnt really use my dslr, too packed away even if it was on top. I advise taking a decent point and shoot unless you really can be bothered to unpack the dslr every time. Point and shoot in a plastic wallet in your pocket is what id say. I learnt the hard way lol.

Cheers
    Luke

24. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thanks for sharing your story Luke! Your brother is inspirational to say the least! It appears that the P&S is the best choice for an extended ride. I had no idea it is very hilly in England. Live and learn. :) Also, when will you leave for your next century ride? :D

25. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Personally I would never carry my DSLR while I go mountain biking; my riding style isn't that of going downhill to the extremes, more cross country endurance riding, but I'd always feel weary knowing that an expensive piece of gear is at the back; I have a solid camera backpack but if I fell it'd still hit a lot of force.

If you have an iPhone 4, just do what i do and buy an armband and you'll have your camera at easy reach. Previous gen iPhones same applies but given the lower quality of pictures might want a point and shoot instead.

I dont know about other peoples opinions, but when Im out riding, taking pictures would remain a second priority of mine; enjoying the ride would come first, as such I wouldn't want to have to ride slower than usual, or more cautious than usual - I don't want to always be thinking 'dont go to fast or something - important gear at the back!'.