Who changed their MacBook Air for better SSDs/LCDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by qwerf123, Aug 13, 2011.

?

Did you change your MacBook Air after reading the posts/threads on this site?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No

62 vote(s)
    82.7%
  1. qwerf123, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

qwerf123 macrumors regular

I just want to see how many, after reading the posts about better SSDs and LCDs and found out they had the Toshiba SSD and/or LG LCD, bothered to return their MacBook Airs in attempt to get the better components.

PS. Those who got both the Samsung SSD and LCD, please don't vote

2. B.Chang macrumors member

I was actually curious about this.

My lab work involves creating and moving large files between my drive and a centralized server via gigabit connection. As a result, wouldn't I actually benefit more from the faster Samsung versus the Toshiba?

3. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I kinda read about it too late. I still don't think I would have switched it though.

4. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

Nope. Mine came with the samsung ssd and lg screen.

5. Tootles macrumors member

Same with mine.

The LG screen looks good to me so, I didn't worry about how other people felt about it. I might've felt different about the SSD though, had it been Toshiba.

6. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Same with mine.

The Samsung SSD is considered to be "better" than the Toshiba one, so no reason to switch there. The LG screen looks all fine, so although my return period is not out yet I really doubt I will return it.

7. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

Yeah, I don't know what's the deal with the battle of the screens. The LG is perfect, no problems whatsoever for me.

8. joelseph7 macrumors newbie

No, I have the Samsung SSD & LG Panel and I have not complaints with the LG.

9. Stein357 macrumors 6502

10. qwerf123 thread starter macrumors regular

It's actually probably better living in ignorance than knowing in case you got the one you didn't want! :)

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Or even better yet, knowing that in all likelihood it won't make any difference in everyday usage, so no need to worry! ;)

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Samsung SSD, LG screen. Compared and I don't see what the fuss is about. I think there are as big variations from one unit to another versus Samsung vs. LG.

FYI, back in November 2010 when the 2010 MBAs came out, there were tons of threads with everyone saying the LG screen was better. Such silliness.

13. qwerf123 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly!

14. Burch macrumors member

15. Nioxic macrumors regular

I'm not bothered..

But the store i ordered my laptop in, sent all theirs back, because there was some "problems" with some of the monitors/ssd's not being the correct brand (thats what the guy in the store said :p)

So basically i havn't had to return anything. My store's doing their job!

16. VMMan macrumors 6502a

@OP,

I think you may want to change the thread title to ask if those who have the Toshiba or LG components changed their MBAs.

Those who got the Samsung/Samsung combo will be answering only hypothetically that if they had gotten then "other" combo, would they have returned it or not.

We all know that it's easy to say that "we're better than that" when we actually have the Samsung/Samsung combo.

17. Mandork macrumors member

Why? That's assuming the Samsung has been proved to be better than the LG panel, which is not the case. The OP's question is who changed their Air for BETTER components, could include defective screens or other variabilities, doesn't have to mean LG panel to Samsung panel, could be other way around, or because of defects.

18. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Without additional conditionals, it reduces the importance of this poll if people answered that the forums did not influence them (when in fact it might have influenced them if they read something to the contrary regarding their MBA).

Perhaps, a better alternative title would be:

If you read on the forums that your current MBA components are not as "good" as other components found on other MBAs, did you exchange your MBA?

19. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Even if you had true gigabit speed (i think it's only doable with the 27" thunderbolt display) thats still less than the speed of the toshiba.

20. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I had the Samsung display and Samsung SSD.

I JUST (I'm still at the Apple store) returned my Air for some keyboard problems, and when I get home I'll be interested to see what I have... And how it compares ;O

21. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

22. qwerf123, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

qwerf123 thread starter macrumors regular

I am pretty sure I have put that in my first post and only asked those with those parts to vote and not people with both Samsung parts!

Obviously I can't check what people actually have but hope they can following the simple instructions/comment I left.

I would have made the poll question better but I was limited to characters and I thought people would read the thread first anyway

Do you not think my first post is clear? If you didn't I bet many got the idea anyway :)

23. B.Chang macrumors member

True gigabit speed has been around for more than a decade now, and the ethernet ports on MacBooks have been gigabit capable for quite some time now.

I get an average of 120 MB/s data transfer speeds at my facilities; is this close to the write ability of the SSDs?