Who charges most to repair powerbooks? I want the most expensive repair possible!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PDE, Dec 11, 2007.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I know it's a strange questions but my mother's powerbook G4 1.5ghz just suffered from the infamous lower ram slot failure and does not fall within the warranty extension program. However, she has VISA performance guarantee and if the repair is going to cost too much, they will most likely offer to replace the computer with a new equivalent one.

This particular issue, apparently, is not really fixable and people who have their logic boards replaced often experience the same problem again later down the road. Since VISA has a no lemon policy and will replace automatically after three repairs, I figure it's better to save my mother the considerable hassle of having to send it in on multiple occasions...

So: I'm I want to find the most expensive authorized apple repair shop. Any 'good' suggestions?

cheers,

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Probably Applestore. They charge an arm and a leg if you don't have applecare.
    Were going to charge me like 600 bucks to replace my Superdrive on my iMac... what lunacy.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The logic board probably retails for about $600, with insured shipping two ways and the cost to do the repair. It likely won't be cheap.

4. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah, I was hoping it would be more! The computer was purchased for $1699 so I think for VISA to replace it the repair cost would have to be so much that it doesn't make sense to repair anymore - I saw somebody on another board mention that his compusa quoted him $1400! that's the kind of crazy repair cost I want, too bad compusa is closing down :)

Once I find the most expensive one I'll call them to ask if they'll replace or repair...

5. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for posting that. Unfortunately, her powerbook's serial number is much later than the range shown there. There seem to be thousands of people with powerbooks that fall outside that range but which exhibit the same problem. I guess Apple is just pretending that it's a coincidence.

6. f1 macrumors 6502

Apple Store repairs are extremely costly. The Last time i got my logic board replaced there and some other obscure parts, it wouuld've cost me about 1800 dollars if i didn't have Applecare.

7. ///alpinepower macrumors member

apple store

example: the macbook pro top case list price to an authorized service provider is $143, keyboard is less than $66. apple charges $233 and $66 for the keyboard. installation labor is $135 at apple store. Most authorized providers don't need to charge labor with prices like those.

so the apple store repair is 436 while the authorized guy is 299.

8. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Good to know about the Apple Store. I've never repaired anything out of warranty/applecare there so I didn't know. Not surprising though. I'll start with them to get a quote and if it's not high enough I'll look elsewhere.....

cheers !

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I would be happy to give you an inflated quote, with the added benefit of getting a lemon back guaranteed.

10. southside2006 macrumors newbie

Who charges the most to repair

I know what you are talking about.. Go the Apple Store and let them do the qoute. Trust me they will rape you on the cost and not even bat an eye at the charges... Good Luck

11. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

I'll do that. What makes it so infuriating is that the problem of the defect lower ram slot is very widespread and Apple has extended warranty for a very small range of serial numbers. Yet, judging by the thousands of signatures on an online petition, the problem is really much bigger and Apple refuses to acknowledge it (sound familiar?). And then they'll happily rob/rape you on the spot and smile in your face...lucky I'm covered, but for those who aren't Apple is being a real ass about what is an obvious manufacturing defect - and one that can only be diagnosed if you decide to upgrade the ram and use both slots.

Oh well..

12. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

I wish they would make a special warranty program for the keyboards on these damn macbooks. :mad:
    :rolleyes::apple::rolleyes:

13. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

So the 5th Ave Apple Store quoted me roughly $500 and Tekserve $800 to replace the logic board. I just asked them over email, so I need to take it in and maybe they'll give me a higher estimate then. I hope so, because $500 sounds very low and definitely not enough to get a new one from VISA. Hmm...

14. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I just brought my sister's macbook pro to an apple store in NJ because it was freezing and lines were appearing. the genius said the logic board needed to be replaced... it cost $210 for the part and $100 for labor... so $310 total for a MBP logic board replacement, and thankfully will ship it directly after the repair

15. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I just went in to apple with my old macbook pro, and they quoted me $1240.00. Something fell onto my laptop, crushing the optical drive and obliterating the trackpad. I definitely understand the price gouging.