Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is better?

• Total voters

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
One of the deciding factors of me purchasing an iPad Pro 10.5 is to increase my productivity and learning to code. Does anyone code or practice coding on the iPad Pros?

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
Something in the lines of JavaScript, PHP, Python, Swift, etc. I have Coderunner 2 on my Mac and is looking for something similar on my iPhone and iPad to practice different languages in just one app on the go. Do you code?

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I had the iPad Pro for a while. CSS/HTML coding is not difficult on the iPad as long as you have a keyboard. I don't know any JavaScript, but I know Swift very well and as of now, there is really no good solution for coding on the iPad. If you are doing some minor code, than its fine, but coding full apps is impossible and I don't think it will be possible anytime soon.

Like I said though, HTML is easy on the iPad. I even created my entire website using my iPad Pro. But when it came time to finally start coding some Apps, I traded it in and bought a MacBook Pro. Love the damn thing. Honestly, until Apple has a version of Xcode on the iPad, making iOS apps and Android apps are impossible.

Reactions: alecgold

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
I had the iPad Pro for a while. CSS/HTML coding is not difficult on the iPad as long as you have a keyboard. I don't know any JavaScript, but I know Swift very well and as of now, there is really no good solution for coding on the iPad. If you are doing some minor code, than its fine, but coding full apps is impossible and I don't think it will be possible anytime soon.

Like I said though, HTML is easy on the iPad. I even created my entire website using my iPad Pro. But when it came time to finally start coding some Apps, I traded it in and bought a MacBook Pro. Love the damn thing. Honestly, until Apple has a version of Xcode on the iPad, making iOS apps and Android apps are impossible.

I know that the iPad Pro is still not there yet in supporting a full on app development... but I'm not even there yet to develop an app or something. Merely just learning and testing and having fun with it. Little bit of HTML, Python, and starting Swift so far.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2015
I’m a web developer full time, and in my opinion iOS doesn’t yet have the features to do any substantial web development coding. A simple static HTML/CS site? Maybe.

From a text editor standpoint, Textastic is fine. You can certainly write HTML/CSS/JS. But from there, you’re pretty limited in what you can do.

Working Copy supports the most basic git features, so you can commit and push. This is probably fine for getting started.

What’s missing is doing stuff with the code you write. You can’t start a web server, nor even open an HTML file that references a local JS file. Does your code work? Are there errors? There’s no way that I know to find that out on iOS alone.

Others may have figured out better workflows (do share if so!), but for me, any workflow ultimately requires an actual computer. Also, the things that don’t take about 5-20x longer when compared to macOS. For instance, the simple act of cloning a repo, editing a file, then committing it, requires so many more steps on iOS.

In summary, I wouldn’t recommend that anyone get an iPad expecting to do any substantial coding on it. The 12” Macbook, though, is in my opinion the best computer for web development that there is.

Darkashnet

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
I tried but it's just too slow, even with hooking up a keyboard. Plus it's hard to code for a desktop site on an iPad as you can't really see how it'll look as you're zoomed out. Just better experimence on MacBook. Not sure iPad will ever be a better experience for developers.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
The only viable way to code is via a Remote Desktop app like Jump Desktop to a real Mac.

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Interesting note maybe, but if I am not mistaken, apple has opened up the api a little to allow for apps to compile code now. Prior to this last WWDC, you really couldn't compile and export, but now you can. This could change things a little bit.

Correct me if I am wrong.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2015
Interesting note maybe, but if I am not mistaken, apple has opened up the api a little to allow for apps to compile code now. Prior to this last WWDC, you really couldn't compile and export, but now you can. This could change things a little bit.

I was going to ask why there weren't apps for coding. Your point would make sense as to why.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
So Codea

I tried but it's just too slow, even with hooking up a keyboard. Plus it's hard to code for a desktop site on an iPad as you can't really see how it'll look as you're zoomed out. Just better experimence on MacBook. Not sure iPad will ever be a better experience for developers.

-- I thought about purchasing a fixed up MacBook just to practice coding and for travel. I am into photography and road trips... wandering and exploring. But since I already have a 15" MacBook laptop (mid 2010 fixed up), it's hard to commit to getting another laptop. Getting an iPad Pro seems to be more ideal. Drawings/sketches, notes, showcasing my photos, videos, watching movies, music (listening and making), practice coding, and of course the awesome nerds and geeks here at macrumors forums. The iPad Pro just seems to be more portable and gung-ho. Got an idea? Have an iPad Pro? Noted!
[doublepost=1498616484][/doublepost]
I was going to ask why there weren't apps for coding. Your point would make sense as to why.

-- Not really looking to develop a full app or site or program with just an iPad. More like just to practice. A one app that can support most programming languages to practice... if there is such.
[doublepost=1498616934][/doublepost]
I’m a web developer full time, and in my opinion iOS doesn’t yet have the features to do any substantial web development coding. A simple static HTML/CS site? Maybe.

From a text editor standpoint, Textastic is fine. You can certainly write HTML/CSS/JS. But from there, you’re pretty limited in what you can do.

Working Copy supports the most basic git features, so you can commit and push. This is probably fine for getting started.

What’s missing is doing stuff with the code you write. You can’t start a web server, nor even open an HTML file that references a local JS file. Does your code work? Are there errors? There’s no way that I know to find that out on iOS alone.

Others may have figured out better workflows (do share if so!), but for me, any workflow ultimately requires an actual computer. Also, the things that don’t take about 5-20x longer when compared to macOS. For instance, the simple act of cloning a repo, editing a file, then committing it, requires so many more steps on iOS.

In summary, I wouldn’t recommend that anyone get an iPad expecting to do any substantial coding on it. The 12” Macbook, though, is in my opinion the best computer for web development that there is.

-- Text editor might be the right term. I'm no developer or even come close to being one... maybe one day... soon... gotta practice more. I got Coderunner 2 on the Mac. Not sure if you've heard such app, but I'm looking for something similar for the iPad or maybe the iPhone as well.

By the way, I lost you on the third paragraph. I'm still very new to this programming/coding world.
[doublepost=1498617128][/doublepost]
Pythonista and Coda seem to be good for learning to code.

--- I have Pythonista on both the iPhone and iPad. But want to see if there's any good app that can do the same, but for different languages. One stop app for coding.
[doublepost=1498617178][/doublepost]

--- An app?

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
I'm using Playgrounds on my 10.5 right now. Due to a brain injury while working on duty, I lost a lot of cognitive things I could do really well before. This has been helping me try and re-learn a lot of basic things that I struggle with daily. I know it's probably not relevant to the OP main idea, but thought I'd share.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
Pythonista definitely worth a look if you are interested in learning Python; has many of the libraries required for scientific computing.

--- It's my preferred language. But gotta venture out to JS and PHP for work. Swift also.
[doublepost=1498618345][/doublepost]
I'm using Playgrounds on my 10.5 right now. Due to a brain injury while working on duty, I lost a lot of cognitive things I could do really well before. This has been helping me try and re-learn a lot of basic things that I struggle with daily. I know it's probably not relevant to the OP main idea, but thought I'd share.

-- Sorry to hear what happened dude. You'll get better. The community in this forums are awesome! Infectiously inspiring and motivating peeps!

I do playgrounds too! First time I got on it... I was on it for 3 hours straight. I am going to go again tonight but gotta control myself to just keep it to an hour or two.
[doublepost=1498618458][/doublepost]Coda and textastic seem to be one of the good ones.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I know that the iPad Pro is still not there yet in supporting a full on app development... but I'm not even there yet to develop an app or something. Merely just learning and testing and having fun with it. Little bit of HTML, Python, and starting Swift so far.
Honestly, I learned using Swift Playgrounds while it was in Beta, and then took a few online classes to push me through some more difficult things. iPad Pro is a great starting point, but I honestly would just get a Mac instead if you are going to be coding.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
I would get a 12" MacBook, unless you code in Java or use any Eclipse based IDE. In those cases you're going to need the greater horsepower of a MacBook Pro.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
Honestly, I learned using Swift Playgrounds while it was in Beta, and then took a few online classes to push me through some more difficult things. iPad Pro is a great starting point, but I honestly would just get a Mac instead if you are going to be coding.

--- Of course a computer is much better. But I want something on the go. Noting ideas and doing some testing if it can work.

I actually just did playgrounds a minute ago. I gotta stop coz I'm stuck on a part. I didn't want to stop in figuring it out. But I got to sit this one out tonight and just come back on it tomorrow.

Reactions: xaqt93

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

Sorry to hear that and good luck with your recovery!

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
--- It's my preferred language. But gotta venture out to JS and PHP for work. Swift also.
[doublepost=1498618345][/doublepost]

-- Sorry to hear what happened dude. You'll get better. The community in this forums are awesome! Infectiously inspiring and motivating peeps!

I do playgrounds too! First time I got on it... I was on it for 3 hours straight. I am going to go again tonight but gotta control myself to just keep it to an hour or two.
[doublepost=1498618458][/doublepost]Coda and textastic seem to be one of the good ones.
I appreciate the sentiment. I get stuck, and it does take me time to figure things out. I am 5 years recovery, and I still have trouble with simple math. I don't know if it'll ever be "fixed", but I learn different ways to accomplish things that I can't take the straight route to doing any more. Lego and Playgrounds are helping with that goal. I used to be a decent programmer. Started as a kid with Logo, BASIC, PASCAL, as an adult, LUA, JS, C... now I'm struggling to learn Playgrounds (Swift).
[doublepost=1498626502][/doublepost]
Sorry to hear that and good luck with your recovery!
Thank you, I appreciate that.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
I appreciate the sentiment. I get stuck, and it does take me time to figure things out. I am 5 years recovery, and I still have trouble with simple math. I don't know if it'll ever be "fixed", but I learn different ways to accomplish things that I can't take the straight route to doing any more. Lego and Playgrounds are helping with that goal. I used to be a decent programmer. Started as a kid with Logo, BASIC, PASCAL, as an adult, LUA, JS, C... now I'm struggling to learn Playgrounds (Swift).
[doublepost=1498626502][/doublepost]
Thank you, I appreciate that.

--- One day at a time brother. You started programming as a kid. It is part of you. I am barely starting to program and have very little background on it in college. I guess I didn't care for any of it when it was being taught. Now looking back with regrets of why I didn't took it seriously... I'm trying to use all those wasted years as motivation. I'll figure out a rhythm where I can put at least 3 hours every single day into a language and just learn learn learn. People like you and a lot of people in this forum inspires me more. I think there should be some sort of a meet up in this forum.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
California
I'm a noob on this. And I'm only looking for a good iOS app that can cater to different languages so I can practice on the go. People have mentioned coda and textastic. I have the coderunner 2 app on my mac. I am looking for something very similar for iOS.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Coding is simply writing text that is compiled into an app or program. So coding on the iPad, especially for web is as simple as using an ASCII text editor of some sort. But what we really want is Xcode on the iPad that will allow a to write, run, test, compile and distribute apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.