Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
My mom recently got a 4th Gen iPad for her job, and it's still on iOS 6, and I definitely felt some nostalgia (and iOS 6 isn't even that old), but I don't miss it. I like iOS 7 much more.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Yeah apples got there path and we should follow it.

How about, Apples got their path, and we should each decide whether to follow it, follow it with criticism so that it improves and addresses its faults, stay on iOS 6, or change platforms. ;)

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
How about, Apples got their path, and we should each decide whether to follow it, follow it with criticism so that it improves and addresses its faults, stay on iOS 6, or change platforms. ;)

I don't remember who said this but some one on here in one of these threads said something completely true. People make bad choices. Those aren't the exact words they used but basically if you give people power to do what ever they want on an os they just screw everything all up. I though all the way up to today that people should make their own OS decisions. Witch is weird didn't read that tread today read it days ago. don't now what happened this morning but today I'm thinking we need apple To keep all the other people on this planet in line. My one friend on android made a whole page for flappy bird he made it huge and changed the logo to a screen shot of his high score. We don't need people doing stuff like that on iOS. Apple I have a whole new look at life today you make the rules but fulfill feature request. Cough cough quick reply

mohammed-eg

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2013
I will pay to restor my 4th gen ipad to ios 6 man really i hope ios 7.1 solve laggy keyboard and rotate and safari problem

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I don't remember who said this but some one on here in one of these threads said something completely true. People make bad choices. Those aren't the exact words they used but basically if you give people power to do what ever they want on an os they just screw everything all up. I though all the way up to today that people should make their own OS decisions. Witch is weird didn't read that tread today read it days ago. don't now what happened this morning but today I'm thinking we need apple To keep all the other people on this planet in line. My one friend on android made a whole page for flappy bird he made it huge and changed the logo to a screen shot of his high score. We don't need people doing stuff like that on iOS. Apple I have a whole new look at life today you make the rules but fulfill feature request. Cough cough quick reply

I'm struggling a little but I think I understand most of what you're saying. I just politely disagree in some regards.

Everyone uses their phones/tablets differently, and to say that doing something like your friend did is wrong isn't really fair. It probably made them happy, even though to you and I, it isn't to our tastes. For example, giving the option to change the four buttons at the bottom of the Control Center to other things (such as changing Timer to Alarms) only enhances the devices' capability to be configured to be as useful to the user as possible. I do not need Mr. Ive's favorite shortcuts, I need the ones I use. ;)

The one-size-fits-all solution simply doesn't work for the hundreds of millions of users. Apple makes all kinds of design mistakes (the hockey puck mouse will always be one that comes to my mind), and iOS 7 is no exception. It's only by being critical (constructively) that things improve.

As much as I can appreciate those (including you) who really like iOS 7, I can certainly understand those who don't. Sure, it should get better in the coming months. But the people who find their devices much more sluggish, less stable, usability issues (such as in Calenders and Music)... they have very valid reasons to not like iOS 7 - even disregarding the look of it.

Personally, I like the crispness of iOS 7, the fonts, some of the colors, the new Safari.... but the sluggish feel of navigating the OS (not the apps themselves necessarily) is enough alone to make me miss iOS 6. I just hope it is addressed.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Personally, I like the crispness of iOS 7, the fonts, some of the colors, the new Safari.... but the sluggish feel of navigating the OS (not the apps themselves necessarily) is enough alone to make me miss iOS 6. I just hope it is addressed.

Have you tried this yet? (makes navigating the OS much faster)

1. open Settings app
  2. tap "General"
  3. tap "Accessibility"
  4. tap "Reduce Motion" and switch it on

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I miss the old open and close animation. Quick, efficient, and smooth.

I don't want to disable all animation, but the new swoosh in from app icon seems to take an unnecessary amount of time.

----------

1. open Settings app
  2. tap "General"
  3. tap "Accessibility"

Maybe he wants motion, just not slow motion.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013

1. open Settings app
  2. tap "General"
  3. tap "Accessibility"

Of course. It makes it even worse...

With the animations enabled, the touch response is disabled while it is performing it's animation (about 1200-2000 ms)... But, this is also true with the animations disabled; the duration of the touch input being disabled is the same in both cases.

However, when you disable the animations, the fading occurs much faster. So, you think the animation is done, but you still have to wait for the input to be enabled. At least with animations on, you're less likely to start typing/swiping/tapping before it's ready, because the animation consumes more of the time.

It isn't so much the animations that bother me, although I'd really like them to be quicker... It's that the screen doesn't respond for a bit after. It's the missed keyboard taps or navigation swipes that really disrupt the flow.

Hope this is easy to follow.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011

With the animations enabled, the touch response is disabled while it is performing it's animation (about 1200-2000 ms)... But, this is also true with the animations disabled; the duration of the touch input being disabled is the same in both cases.

However, when you disable the animations, the fading occurs much faster. So, you think the animation is done, but you still have to wait for the input to be enabled. At least with animations on, you're less likely to start typing/swiping/tapping before it's ready, because the animation consumes more of the time.

It isn't so much the animations that bother me, although I'd really like them to be quicker... It's that the screen doesn't respond for a bit after. It's the missed keyboard taps or navigation swipes that really disrupt the flow.

I hope they fix that. I wonder if speeding up animations with Jailbreak fixes it.

For Apple to fix it, they first have to admit its an issue. (Still waiting to be able to add a track I'm listening to quickly to an on-the-go playlist...like the press-and-hold feature on iPod classic).

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

In 7.1 animations are much faster, but responsiveness after the animations is sadly the same as before.
I believe that there should be different animations than the ones we currently have. The folder open animation is for me the greatest issue in iOS 7. It feels unnatural, causes my hand to move away from the actual position of the folder (because the folder opens up in the middle of the screen, no matter what where the folder's position actually is..) and it slows me down. Disabling animations is certainly better, but I have to admit I still have animations on in 7.1. I wanted to test if the increased speed solves these issues. Unfortunately it doesn't solve all of them.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
In 7.1 animations are much faster, but responsiveness after the animations is sadly the same as before.

I am no longer really looking forward to 7.1. It's such a pain to deal with, even for the 5-6 months on 7.0. I always loved that "Apple feel", how responsive the iOS devices felt. Now, it's sluggish. I'm surprised Apple doesn't think this is worth addressing.

Sadly, my once superb iPhone is now speed-limited by the lack of response following each animation, and I can't really afford to start exploring new phone options.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yes, tell them to press a button and install much worse battery life and safari crashes/performance issues. I wouldn't have upgraded had I known what was in store for me. In fact after this debacle I will never upgrade the o/s on an iPhone again! It will stay with whatever it ships with.
I learned that lesson quite a few years ago. Although the notification flag of the update glommed on to the Settings icon gnaws at me like the tell-tale heart, I stick with whatever version of iOS ships with the device.

It didn't always used to be like that, but Apple's metrics for what devices can be updated seems to have become more liberal over time. Rather than keeping it more restrictive to maintain a certain level of performance and stability, they appear to allow any device that is physically capable of upgrading to upgrade.

I know that fanboys will respond with the strawman of "well if Apple prevented older devices from upgrading then people would complain that they are doing that simply because they want to sell more hardware".

That's not exactly true. Especially since people look to Apple to provide a quality experience. Consumers would understand Apple being more restrictive. Besides, many who defend Apple's current practices upgrade their hardware on a near annual basis anyways so it doesn't affect them.

If people WANT the upgraded iOS they have a choice, buy a new device. But if people want to revert back to the previous version of iOS, they are SOL.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I learned that lesson quite a few years ago. Although the notification flag of the update glommed on to the Settings icon gnaws at me like the tell-tale heart, I stick with whatever version of iOS ships with the device.

It didn't always used to be like that, but Apple's metrics for what devices can be updated seems to have become more liberal over time. Rather than keeping it more restrictive to maintain a certain level of performance and stability, they appear to allow any device that is physically capable of upgrading to upgrade.

I know that fanboys will respond with the strawman of "well if Apple prevented older devices from upgrading then people would complain that they are doing that simply because they want to sell more hardware".

That's not exactly true. Especially since people look to Apple to provide a quality experience. Consumers would understand Apple being more restrictive. Besides, many who defend Apple's current practices upgrade their hardware on a near annual basis anyways so it doesn't affect them.

If people WANT the upgraded iOS they have a choice, buy a new device. But if people want to revert back to the previous version of iOS, they are SOL.

Totally agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.