Who decides who is a moderator?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by joefinan, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I've noticed all the 'Mac Rumors Member/Regular/Demi-God (?)' etc., but who decides who is responsible enough to be a forum moderator?

Thanks.

2. Queso macrumors G4

The moderators are chosen from a set of long standing members who have contributed a large amount of effort into this online community. They do not get paid for the effort they put in tidying up these forums, keeping them spam free, and ensuring that troublemakers are calmed down or ejected. They are therefore IMO worthy of a bit of respect, especially from newcomers who start taking offence when called up on ridiculous baseless statements made in a condescending manner.

I hope this sufficiently answers your query.

3. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does IMO mean? I don't spend much time on internet forums so am unsure of the language used.

And thanks for your answer, but I am still in the dark as to who decides who is a moderator.

And Jaffa Cake - what is a 'Demi-God'?

4. Queso macrumors G4

In My Opinion

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The same as a Demi-Goddess or Contributor – a member who has contributed to the site.

It doesn't confer any special powers or anything, though.

6. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Although it clearly means that they are polite and helpful!

Thanks.

7. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Here's the list of people who run the site. I would guess they are the ones who chose any new staff.

Check out the Forum Rules too.

9. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Ah, so innocent and new. Like fresh cut flowers on a lovely spring day.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

This is how it works:

The mods have a long long discussion on who to bring on board. Dozens of names are mentioned; people who have helped the community in one way or the other and also those who are active in the time zones that the gods feel we need. We talk about them in great detail.

We then narrow it down, the gods including Arn chip in. And then we invite a number that is established at the beginning, some accept, others decline.

We then move that discussion away so that the new mods aren't upset or surprised by what we've said; it's happened to us all... and then the new mods are bought on board days or weeks before they pick up their new responsibilities.

Some things are secret; some things should be clear and above board, we shouldn't be that mysterious. New mods can have low post counts, they can have high ones; it doesn't matter. Personally, I have no idea why I was invited to become a moderator, but the why doesn't interest me. What interests me is what I can do with the tools I've been given.

Want to be a mod? Be a good forum member... but it's not a walk in the park, mods are people too, they have other lives, they get annoyed with some of you, they need time off, they want this board to be the best it can be so anyone who makes work for us isn't making the best start of things.

That's about it really. It's not a popularity contest, it's not about who has the most posts... it's about those who want to make a difference.

:)

11. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

12. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Speaking of moderators, you know what's one kind of moderator these forums need? A grammar moderator, who goes around editing people's posts for grammatical accuracy. All the misspellings, incorrect uses of words, and poor punctuation are getting on my nerves!

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, I have been referred to many times as the MacRumors Grammar Nazi™... :D That being said, I much prefer being a bastard and pointing out people's incorrect grammar as opposed to actually fixing it in their posts... :p ;)

14. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

THAT my friend is a paying job..to do that would take an amount of $100,000 (or £198,000) :p a year.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It helps when forum members are thoughtful and take a little bit of time to help the mods and the rest of the members who read these forums, by clicking on this icon: [​IMG] and reporting it. ;)

16. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Well the grammar mod position will not appear on MR..

Why: this site is world-wide forum and english isn't everyone's first language... :eek:

17. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Oh, I forgot that bastard isn't blocked out. Bastard. Hey, I said it again, hehe.

But yes, I'll join you in being a stickler for good grammar.

18. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

MR Rules
    :p

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, but being a bastard is universal! :D

I like you. Yes, I think we could make a good team.

If you're going to start correcting people's grammar though it helps to use images such as this:

[​IMG]

:cool:

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

21. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

That's because you looked at the thread and realized "you can't touch this."

22. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

$5 please! I've been using that for a long time :p. You even put the trademark symbol for me, thanks :D

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm not sure about the grammar, but your mathematics skills are sadly lacking :rolleyes:

24. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

A grammar mod? Hmmmm, that really would be a little too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.