Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
So I bought one because of the utility of BetterTouchTool but honestly I question who designed this thing. I'm so sick of it feeling it's about to slip out of my hand every time I pick it up. The problem is that there is no grip whatever on it. You might like that but I consider that poor design.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
i sorta felt that way about the previous mightymouse.
that when ever i tried to grip it id accidentally activate the two side buttons and felt slippery.

the new Magic Mouse is sort of like that but feel its a bit more sturdy and more intuitive for i what i do using the OS.

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
I have pretty big hands, and I like the magic mousy a lot. Slightly concerned about battery life, but so far so good.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
not to mock it but it looks like a maxipad a small one but still. and I bet a maxipad is more comfortable.
but really only apple will make a mouse that goes away from where mice have been going for years. mice are not flat for a reason. apple worries too much about looks.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
not to mock it but it looks like a maxipad a small one but still. and I bet a maxipad is more comfortable.
but really only apple will make a mouse that goes away from where mice have been going for years. mice are not flat for a reason. apple worries too much about looks.

I haven't used one, but by the look of it's shape it doesn't look very comfortable...

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have big hands. I find the magic mouse much more comfortable than the mighty mouse. (Which is faint praise, for sure).

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I haven't used one, but by the look of it's shape it doesn't look very comfortable...

it's not it works fine for general use but if I need to draw anything in my cad app it sucks. my hand craps fast. so then back to the ms mouse. but for general use surfing mail itunes and such I like it fine. but most of the time my fingers rest on the mousepad. I really like how it scrolls

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I just started using one today. I think it will take some getting used to (hand position is different), but the touch gestures are pretty great. It could be a little bigger, but overall my first impression is that I like it.

sehnsucht77

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
I have big hands. I find the magic mouse much more comfortable than the mighty mouse. (Which is faint praise, for sure).
i got big hands and i hated the previous mighty mouse. this new one is cool-and its hefty! maxipad....hmmm....could be. don't think they are THAT padded though, i wouldn't know, ain't like I go rummaging through my woman's thingys that much that I'd know off the bat. besides, that stuff is nasty.:p

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
I honestly think the money would be better spent on a bamboo pad, less cramps, might not be cordless but o well.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
yep, magic mouse does suck, sharp edges, slippery, not accurate ... BLAH and I bought two of them .... been waiting for updates to make the thing work better and now I'm probably past the return period ... my donation to Apple I guess .... they won't get used here .... within a week I bet they're in the bottom of a drawer ...

Apple could of done a much much better job ... it's that form or function thing again, at least smooth the edges ... ridiculous...

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I like how it works but when I need to use it a lot then it is an issue. if I had a mac at work where I draw in CAD a lot it would really be bad. once I got used to it I really like the scrolling and such. but Apple could have made it far better. I am sorry but a mouse is not where form is done over function and comfort.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I like how it works but when I need to use it a lot then it is an issue. if I had a mac at work where I draw in CAD a lot it would really be bad. once I got used to it I really like the scrolling and such. but Apple could have made it far better. I am sorry but a mouse is not where form is done over function and comfort.

Mouse doesn't have a middle button, so you can't PAN on AutoCad. So obviously a no go for drawing.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Mouse doesn't have a middle button, so you can't PAN on AutoCad. So obviously a no go for drawing.
glad I don't use autocad and I don't do 3d. but still your right it would not work well no matter what. makes you wonder why apple made a mouse that's so limited in who can use it. they are not after anyone that uses their computers for work.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I down't own a Magic Mouse, but I really like it, after playing with one a few times. When I buy my next Macbook Pro in 2010, I'll get a Magic Mouse w/ it.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
I have small girl hands... oh wait duh! Anyway, I found the Mighty Mouse a little... um... big at first but got used to it. I want to try a Magic Mouse soon and I actually like that it is smaller.

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Im thinking of buying a Magic Mouse once I purchase my first Mac. I watched video clips and read reviews but I think a hands on experience will let me decide.
Thanks for the comments, helps me out :)

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
It's funny. The Magic Mouse is (at least in my opinion) the most uncomfortable mouse ever!
But just because it's made by Apple many say they like it. Obviously it's taste, but I tried it at the Apple Store and my hand started hurting after 5 mins of use.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
yep, magic mouse does suck, sharp edges, slippery, not accurate ... BLAH and I bought two of them .... been waiting for updates to make the thing work better and now I'm probably past the return period ... my donation to Apple I guess .... they won't get used here .... within a week I bet they're in the bottom of a drawer ...

Send one my way? I'd love to try it out, as my MX Revolution started to fall apart several months after I got it.

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008

Apple could of done a much much better job ... it's that form or function thing again, at least smooth the edges ... ridiculous...
I fell you!
It's too bad you can't sell stuff like that on ebay...

:confused:

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I know I'm likely to catch crap over this, but I actually really like the Mighty Mouse (I hate having to always clean the scroll ball, but oh well). I was going to buy the Magic Mouse until I learned about no middle click and realized how flat it is. NO WAY. I middle click to open tabs in Safari a thousand times a day (well, that may be an exaggeration...). So instead of a Magic, I bought a wireless Mighty the other day. Love it and no regrets (its my second BT MM, BTW).

EDIT: I also enjoy having the same mouse on all my computers that I use regularly - my iMac, my wife's Macbook, and my iMac at work (except its wired).

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
I have pretty big hands, and I like the magic mousy a lot. Slightly concerned about battery life, but so far so good.

Ditto.

I think the design is amazing, but you have to adjust your mouse epistemology. You kinda just push this one around instead of gripping it like other mice. All in all it works fantastically. I guess I'll suffer through the less battery life if it means I don't have to clean a damn scrollball every 2 days in order for it to work.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I like the mighty mouse a lot.

I got it just before a huge push on a project I've been working on and used it constantly over multiple 18 hr days. It was great.

You don't really cup the mouse in your hand. My hand rests on the desk and I hold the mouse on its sides between my thumb and ring/pinky fingers. At rest the tips of my middle and index fingers rest slightly on the mouse, leaving them ready to click or slide, as needed. I mostly move the mouse from my elbow or use use my fingers for precision. (I didn't think this through, this is what happened naturally after a little use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.