Who do you feel is the greatest classical composer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StephenCampbell, Jun 22, 2011.

?

Which do you feel is the greatest classical composer?

1. Johann Sebastian Bach

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Ludwig van Beethoven

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Franz Schubert

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Robert Schumann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Johannes Brahms

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. Richard Wagner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Giuseppe Verdi

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Hector Berlioz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  11. Dimitri Shostakovich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. George Frederic Handel

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  13. Joseph Haydn

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  14. Felix Mendelssohn

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  15. Gustav Mahler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Anton Bruckner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Antonín Dvorak

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Charles Ives

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Arnold Schoenberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Alban Berg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. György Ligeti

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. John Adams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  23. Aaron Copland

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  24. Samuel Barber

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  25. Igor Stravinsky

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  26. Frederic Chopin

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  27. Claude Debussy

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  28. Franz Liszt

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  29. Antonio Vivaldi

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  30. Richard Strauss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  31. Sergei Prokofiev

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  32. Béla Bartók

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  33. Sergei Rachmaninoff

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  34. Jean Sibelius

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  35. Maurice Ravel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  36. Giacomo Puccini

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I'm a classical musician, and I'm kind of curious how people feel about the great classical composers, from an outside-the-field perspective. Some of you may be in classical music as well, but the majority are not, so these poll results will be very interesting! I think I've included enough to cover everything anyone might want to vote. :)

2. Gregg2, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's quite a liszt,
    but no Grieg or Holst, and only one Bach? ;)

3. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I voted for Brahms because I like Symphony No. 3 in F Major.

I would have voted for Smetana if I could have because I like The Moldau a lot.

4. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Bach and Vivaldi are two of my most favorite composers, their music just wows me every time I listen or play their music.

Give these a listen:

:)

5. RawBert, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I voted Mozart cause he's the greatest evah. But Vivaldi was a badass MoFo.

6. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

To preface, I'm a musician; I've been playing the cello for roughly 10 years (started when I was 7). I'm also somewhat of a classical music nut (with a preference for late romantic to early modern era music); so I can say with confidence, that you're question is just simply too hard to give an answer to.

Classical music has changed so much over it's history that one really can't compare the likes of J.S. Bach to the likes of Shostakovitch or Bartok; they're simply too different. I can however name my favorite composers during various periods of classical music.

Baroque Period: As a cellist I have to say J.S. Bach. If it were not for his six suites, the cello would have a much smaller solo repertoire; also the TV shows and movies wouldn't have a go to piece to have characters "play" (Prelude to Suite #1)

Classical Period: Haydn, hands down. His work ranging from his cello concertos to his Kleine Orgelmesse (Little Organ Mass in B-Flat) are some of my favorite pieces to preform and to listen to. Hearing the finale to his cello concerto in C is what made me decide to play the cello over the violin, viola, trumpet, clarinet, etc.

I split the Romantic Period into Early and Late periods.

Early Romantic: Schubert. I can't pinpoint what it is that I like about his style, but it just stands out to me when compared to Beethoven, Weber, etc.

Late Romantic: Tie between Rimsky-Korsakov (for Scheherazade) and Elgar (for his cello concerto in E). Those two pieces remain the only pieces of music that have brought me to tears. The Elgar is a particularly emotional piece for me seeing as I was working on it when I had to put my cat/best friend down; I threw myself into the piece as soon as I lost him.

Modern Period: Tie between Dimitri Shostakovich and Sergei Prokofiev. Once again I really don't know why, but there's something that just makes them standout to me.

-Don

EDIT: to clarify, I did not vote in the poll, because there is no option which suites my stance on the issue.

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Assuming you mean the Classical genre and not the Classical time period, Stravinsky. Hands down. He wrote more "game-changing" pieces than the rest combined.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I must admit that I like your nuanced approach and broadly agree with your "divisions" within the wider genre although I'd differ with you on individual preferences.

Agree re Bach on Baroque, but I also like Handel and really love Antonio Soler (especially his Fandango - an amazing piece this leaves me spellbound).

On the standard "Classical" era, Beethoven is magisterial - his symphonies - especially from the Fifth onwards - simply get better and better reaching a standard of excellence in the Ninth that transcends virtually everything written by anyone else, ever......but, my personal preference is still Mozart. His Piano Concerto No 20 (Romance) K466 is simply sublime.

Agree re the distinction between early and late Romantic, and also about Russian dominance (especially Prokofiev, but also to my taste, Rachmaninoff) in the 20th century.

To the OP, great idea for a thread - it's a while since "classical music" has featured, and it used to appear a lot more a good while ago when MR featured a separate music forum, something that I, personally, rather miss.

I haven't voted in the poll for much the same reasons expressed by Dmac77.

Cheers

9. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Lists are tricky things, and don't take this as a criticism of yours.

I notice you don't go earlier than Bach and Vivaldi (thus missing Monteverdi, Biber, Purcell, and other greats) and although it's nice to see John Adams, I miss Part, Gorecki, Glass, Riley and others.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If I had to pick... Mussorsky or Mozart. As a whole I prefer their music, but I like a little bit of all. It's just that some bits are bigger than others.

My girlfriends choir sung Mozart's Requiem and I'd never been so impacted by live music before that or since.

11. Liquorpuki, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Another vote for Chopin

This is coming from a pianist

My favorite classical song of all time though is Saint Saens' Symphony 3. I don't know how many times I've zoned out to it

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

My favorite is Beethoven, but Mozart is the greatest.

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Beethoven.

By comparison the rest were mere scribblers.
    ;)

14. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I'll be the outsider here. I voted for Puccini.

My college symphonic band recently took a tour of Italy in which we played 4 shows. We played Puccini's "Turandot" at all 4 of our stops and one of them happened to be in Lucca, Italy. Lucca also happens to be the birthplace of Puccini. It was really an incredible experience to play his music, in his hometown, in an ancient cathedral. The reaction from the audience was amazing....... and we left the locals in tears.

It's something I will never forget for the rest of my life.

Also, the sax part has a little solo in Nessun Dorma, which I got to play :D

Awesome :D:D:D

15. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

OP, where do you go to school?

You're a pretty interesting fellow with your crusades of foreign women.

What instrument do you play?

16. ender land macrumors 6502a

I like classical music.

I like a lot of artists, it's hard to say "which are the best." If you picked particular pieces, it would be easier for me, because even within some composers there is a ton of variety.

I do tend to like the more majestic types of work though, sweeping with emotion. Prokofiev's Romeo/Juliet is superb! Most Mahler symphonies are good, sometimes can be a bit boring at times. Scheherezade is also excellent. Pictures at an Exhibition is good to. Most Copeland stuff is enjoyable, not necessary "OMG AWESOME" but in general very fun listens. Holst/Tchaikovsky are solid. Can't forget Mozart or Beethoven either.

Maybe I'm just biased to stuff I've played =P I tend to like a lot of stuff that is considered "classical music" to non-musician geeks, and I don't really bother to break it down into time periods or "eras."

Not as big of fan of Baroque though I guess.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

18. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

I go to the University of Washington in Seattle. I play piano, violin and viola. I also compose music.

And let's not get carried away.. haha. There's only been one "crusade." :p

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think you can pick a best composer, they all have their styles that make them each great. Every era was different and unique.

Franz Liszt might be my favorite though.

20. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Smetana is a very underappreciated composer I think, considering his role as the father of classical music in his homeland. I love the Moldau too.

Also, Boccherini is missing. Some of his violin pieces.. quartets or whatever they're called, are quite tricky to play correctly form what I understand.

21. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I am NOT a musician, classical or otherwise, notwithstanding the few piano lessons that I took at age 10, but classical is definitely my favorite type of music. A very distant second is hard rock and far behind that is C&W.

I do like the Zohar's (2,000 year old book on the inner secrets of the Old Testament) reason that music moves us is because it transcends barriers and connects directly to one's soul i.e. one doesn't need to be able to play, read or understand anything about music in order to enjoy it and be moved by it because it bypasses your intellect.

Tough choice between Bach and Mozart, both of whom were virtuoso keyboardists as well as violinists with a phenomenal understanding and appreciation of the human voice. I chose Mozart, but tomorrow it might be Bach :)

22. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

23. oilers15 macrumors regular

oilers15

This is a near impossible choice for me :p Bach,Mozart,Beethoven,Chopin,Rossini are all great.

24. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, agreed re Smetana, for I love Smetana's Moldau also, and some of Boccherini's works (such as the stunning Fandango) are wonderful.