Who does closed-lid gaming on their MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KevinRightWing, Oct 24, 2008.

1. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

I am really wanting to get into gaming in windows and playing WOW. I am considering getting a new MBP and playing on my Dell LCD via closed-lid mode. I know the sucker will get hot, will I do any heat damage if I play say an hour or two a day?

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Its designed to run in clamshell mode! If your using it under OSX download smcfancontrol a set the fan speed higher, it will help keep the temps down.

3. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response man.

I guess my next question is: I run my current 2.16 Core Duo 2 mbp in clamshell mode, so I am aware that it CAN, but if I am wanting to get into some 1 to 2 hour hardcore gaming, is it really designed for THAT?

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

5. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

6. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Well the way to look at it is, its a pro machine, designed to be run 24/7 with no let up. Put the fans up a bit an it will be fine. I do 3D rendering about 8 hours a day in clamshell mode hooked to a 19" monitor. I have the fans around 4500rpm to keep it a bit cool.

7. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

if you are going to be doing tasks that will get the temp up for a long period of time, i would run it with the lid open or at least partially open. it helps with the circulation.

9. itcomic macrumors member

put a mini brick or filter underneath the notebook when it is close lid N gaming. The air can flow better and help to cool it down.

10. dragon01 macrumors member

can you explain that to me? I mean what is mini brick?

11. 173080 macrumors 6502

Run it in closed lid mode, it's a pro machine and that's what it was designed for. If it fails it's Apple's problem.

12. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I've been playing CoD 4 with my MBP in closed-lid mode since I bought it in February or so... no problems so far!

13. r88my macrumors regular

I play games in bootcamp for hours with my lid closed. Sometimes for a few days at a time. As far as I can see, there is no advice on the apple website telling you to specifically avoid this type of thing. Surely the MBP is designed to handle this type of thing (BTW never had a problem with mine).

14. MusicallySilent macrumors member

I don't know why he said mini brick.. All he probably means is get 4 small objects to hold it up, maybe find some metal cubes or something or metal rectangular prisms like 2x1x.5" or something just to get the base off the table a little bit, that way more airflow will go underneath since the bottom acts as a heatsink of sorts.

Condensed - find 4 cube like objects you can put under all 4 corners to allow more air to flow under the laptop.

15. KevinRightWing thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the help, think I will upgrade my 2.16 Core duo 2 mbp to the new mbp now.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My MBP is two years old and I regularly play WoW with the lid closed. No problems at all, although I think the framerate is lowered slightly.

17. eddyhttp macrumors regular

How do you prevent your macbook from going into sleep mode when you close the lid?

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's really a matter of not opening the lid in the first place :p

I just connect the DVI and USB cables and it wakes itself up.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use clamshell all the time.

InsomniaX