Who doesn't complain about children's t.v now days, but...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jun 23, 2012.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Who doesn't complain about children's t.v now days, but now looking back at the tv shows that were on when I was a kid T.V was no better maybe even worse.

Such as

- The Amanda Show
    - Rockos Modern Life
    - Sailor Moon

What do you think.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

1. I don't complain about children's TV shows. I don't like them. I don't watch them.
    2. Rocko's Modern Life was awesome. I still watch it whenever I see it's on or find it on the internet.

3. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

I think that the TV shows that most people consider "classics" are considered as such because they represent a part of that person's past. Really, it's all relative-if you grew up watching one show, you're gonna remember that show, and other shows might not be able to touch the memory that it's created. People born today will go on about how the TV shows they grew up are much better than the ones that will be on in 15-20 years. It's all a matter of perspective, not necessarily "the old shows" being better than the new ones.

Just my thoughts. I'm probably wrong, though.

4. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Rocko's Modern Life was the shiz!! And I just now found out that it's available on Netflix! :D

I also grew up with classics like Duck Tales, Tale Spin, ThunderCats, The Jetsons, The Flinstones, The Smurfs, Dennis the Mennace (the animated series). They don't make 'em like that anymore. :rolleyes:

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

We had this discussion last year in class (well, before class started anyway, the teacher hadn't shown up yet). The theory someone came up with is that it all has to do with the people making these shows and the way they grew up watching television and how it changed. In about five years, we will go back to the standard in the 90's because people who were watching the shows mentioned already will be writing the scripts for popular shows we'll have then. The parents letting their kids watch these shows will be reminded of the shows they used to watch back then too, so it won't be an issue.

I liked the stuff in the early 90's, and all the classics from years before, but anything after 1996 is horrible.

6. Queso macrumors G4

I've noticed they no longer show Tom and Jerry in the UK. How's it in the US? Deemed too violent or just slapstick fun?

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

They show it quite regularly in the UK on one of the cartoon channels (Boomerang, I think), our daughter rather enjoys it. To date I've not been hit over the head with a frying pan.

Thinking of current programmes though, Ben and Holly's Little Kingdom is brilliant. My favourite episode is the one with the Great Elf Clock. :)

8. Queso macrumors G4

You've so turned into Dad :D

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Shut up – I get to watch Tom and Jerry, you don't. :D

10. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Oh, thanks for teasing us!:(

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

So none of you children go back far enough to have watched Howdy Doody, huh?

Even when I was a kid, I had a thing for Princess SummerFallWinterSpring. Very serxy!!

And Clarabelle, the Clown, was played by Bob Keeshan, who later became Captain Kangaro.

A simple, uncomplicated, show...but engaging for a little kid.:D

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:eek:Ca[tain Kangaroo? Mr Ed (talking Horse) err, no I don't remember them really, but that's because I'm senile...:)

13. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Pure drivel. And strings? Really!!! :mad:

Kookla, Fran & Ollie was better, and IMHO, the precursor to The Muppets.

:p

Attached Files:

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wally, which sailor moon character was your special favorite?

16. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Well, I'm not sure Howdy Doody was "drivel", but I have to go along with you on "Kookla, Fran, and Ollie" as a superior, and much more sophisticated show. Howdy Doody was for younger kids, Kookla et al was sneaky hip and could really be enjoyed by adults.

The creator, Burr Tilstrom (spelling?), was very sophisticated, and slipping all kinds of (mostly political) references into the exchanges sub rosa.

Different shows for different age audience...:D

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No, youngster, not senility! You were just too young. Howdy Doody was the early 50's!!:D

Attached Files:

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

There are still cartoons for kids??? I remember the days of saturday morning cartoons. Getting up at 0500 to start the day off with space ghosts.

No complaints re: kids tv. No kids, no watch, so no complaints! :)

19. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I've seen it sometimes early in the mornings on Cartoon Network... Boomerang likely has it over here too.

I liked the second, but I don't think I've heard of the third.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves Rocko's Modern Life. It was good when I was a kid, but now that I'm an adult and get all of the double entendres and adult humor they were able to get away with on Nickelodeon, it's even better.

21. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Give it time... Or lighter frying pans...

A lot of the somewhat older kids TV is tripe here now but with one great exception... Horrible Histories... If I didn't have kids I'd still watch it. One of the funniest things on TV.

22. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Agreed! Same happens to me when I watch all these old shows on TV Land, such as King of Queens, The Nanny, Three's Company. I used to love watching them when I was a kid but never quite understood what was really going on. You definitely appreciate them more as an adult. -- I can't wait to start watching Rocko's Modern Life now that I know I can stream it off Netflix! :eek:

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Unfortunately they're not up for streaming on Amazon Prime, but they do have seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, and 3 and 4 are coming out. I think I might have to buy them.

24. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

All four seasons are available for streaming on Netflix. You could just sign up for the free month trial and watch RML for a whole month. ;)