Who doesn't have a tablet, only a laptop/desktop and a phone?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by theapplefanboyj, Sep 16, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

The title says it all. Me personally, I just bought an OTG Cable for my nexus 5 so my storage is much larger. Don't care for a large screen tablet, I'd rather have all my apps on one device, like the rest of the people in my school :D. Seriously though, I'd only consider a tablet if it could be a copy of my phone, like the padfone. iOS 8 continuity is also nice, but I'm slowly moving out Of the iOS ecosystem. But, I will always use the family iPad, because. It looks really enticing. But what about you guys?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

well I have the exact opposite....no desktop/laptop and only a tablet.

3. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh crap, I meant phone and laptop/desktop.
    Could one of the mods edit this for me?

4. ozaz macrumors 65816

I could manage with just a laptop and smartphone.

I don't really need my tablet, but they're so cheap now I'll probably always have one. I enjoy using it more than my laptop for casual stuff like browsing the web in the evening and watching stuff when the household TV is occupied.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You can do this yourself. Click on Edit then click Go Advanced and then you will be able to edit your title.

I don't own a tablet.

6. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

my brothers only have laptop / smartphone

they both like to make fun of my ipad, but I find it is more 'fun' to use for leisurely tasks and certain business usecases where the ultraportability is useful I held out for awhile, but enjoy tablets very much.

as far as necessity though, I still agree tablets arent 'needed'

7. Altis macrumors 68020

Still on iPad 1, and I only use it for some travel stuff as its very easy to carry and deal with in transit.

I really only use my desktop and smartphone though. The tablet doesn't do anything better or more efficiently than those two devices. The ergonomics are quite poor too, but that can be said of using a phone for too long, too.

I also have a laptop but that doesn't see much use except at the cottage if I need to get some things done.

I want to like tablets, they're certainly appealing. It just doesn't materialize.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Currently without tablet.

Sold it while I could.

Kinda miss it. I might be up for a nexus tablet with Android L on the cheap

9. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I have and use a desktop, laptop, tablet and smartphone.

10. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I use my Nexus 5 while out of the house, one of our tablets for surfing while home, and have a desktop (Mac mini) for anything more intensive.

11. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I have no tablet and no interest or need for one either.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I have a beat up iPad 2 that I basically use as an alarm clock, and a Nexus 7 which is good enough for my tablet needs. I don't really use tablets often.

13. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

I have a desktop, Surface Pro 3, smart phone and nexus 7.

14. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

Desktop which I unnecessarily pour money into.

7 year old laptop (so no laptop really)

no tablet (unless a GN3 counts).

Nobody can own just a tablet. They're either nutcases or liars

15. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I dont have a tablet. Others in my house do but not me. I have my Nexus 5, Yoga 11s laptop and i use the desktop.

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

No longer own either.

I sold both a couple months ago. But I do regret selling my laptop as my micro-sd got erased for no apparent reason the other day. Nice to have a backup. Tablets have always been worthless to me.

Smartphones with OTG/Bluetooth has been the way to communicate and transfer. But laptops or notebooks would also be nice to compliment it for me. Smartphones can't do it all especially for running programs.

17. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I own two desktops, one laptop, three tablets and one smart phone

18. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Got a G3, a Macbook Pro and an iPad.

The iPad is only ever used on holidays.

19. Twixt macrumors 6502

My wife has an ipad along with her iphone and macbook.
    I sometimes use her tablet but much prefer my laptop/iPad for any serious usage. Even for browsing tablet experience is not as good as on any larger screen

20. Billy95Tech, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

Billy95Tech Suspended

Me to i am in the same boat as you, I have completely replaced my laptop with tablets with my very powerful 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and my High end Android tablet(Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4) and i only use tablets as only my computer which it is great and brilliant. :)

And it is great and tablets are way way(so much) MORE CONVENIENT(especially portability) than a laptop, especially when you are in a places like a cafe or in a busy bus/train the chances are, 9 out of 10 times you are going take out your tablet of your bag and use it rather than a laptop(because they be too cumbersome).

So why get a laptop? where you can get a tablet(especially Windows 8 tablets) where you can do everything the same stuff(especially productivity/content creation/very heavy tasks like Video editing, Photoshop) that you do on a laptop you can do on a tablet.

Tablets are getting so much more powerful, faster every day and for hardcore gaming tablets are getting there and soon they will be able to play full/big games of PS4/Xbox One like GTA V/FIFA 15 and they have a much better battery life than most laptops.

in my opinion Laptops are DYING and becoming a thing in the past(obsolete) and tablets(and that includes hybrids) are the FUTURE of computing for personal/casual use and for business use! :)

21. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

22. Zxxv Suspended

iPhone and I have a tablet/ipad but thinking of selling iPad. I rarely use it now I have a macbook air.

23. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have 1 laptop, 1 chromebook, 3 tablets and 1 smartphone.

I very rarely use my laptop. I'd much rather use one of my tablets. The chromebook is used mainly by my OH, he also uses the laptop. I like to keep a computer in the house just in case I need it but in reality I haven't really been using a real computer for the past few years. Tablets and smartphones serve 99% of my computing needs. Laptops/desktops are cumbersome to me and require too much maintenance.

24. Billy95Tech, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

Billy95Tech Suspended

This made me laugh so hard haha! :D

It is stupid of you to say that.........

----------

[/COLOR]
    What tablets do you have?

Tablets are real computers.

25. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Samsung Galaxy tab pro 10.1
    iPad air 1
    iPad mini 3

I love tablets :D they are computers. They do everything I need them to do.

I'm eyeing up the note pro 12.2 as its on sale at the moment :p:p