Who Doesn't Like Force Touch on Their Trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Sep 4, 2015.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I spent an hour at the Apple Store messing about with the new Retina MacBook Pro hoping to like the taptic feedback on the trackpad but it felt like it was trying to erase a habit I've grown accustom to doing for over the past decade of my life.

I'm just wondering if this is something you'll get used to, because it feel like it'll slow down my productivity in the long run. Of course the obvious answer should be I should fiddle around with the trackpad setting more but I don't know.. this is just so confusing and odd. It feels fake.

Sorry.

/rant.

2. Hypnosis macrumors member

I was like this initially. I gave it a few days, and now I can't even tell the difference. Force click is so fluid and easy to use. I love it.

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I find that I use the force touch track pad no different then the trackpad on my 2012 MBP. I don't really have anything installed that would really benefit from it. I've only used it a few times to look up words.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was impressed with it in the store, but since I don't have a computer with it, I can't say what the long term affects would be if I were to use it day in and day out. Overall though I've generally heard only positive remarks.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Hard to see how you wouldn't adapt. I always had to use tap-to-click on the old one because of the lever effect, but tap-to-click had its own issues. I've turned it off with the force touch trackpad because I can now click with equal pressure anywhere on the trackpad. It's just taken what was already the best trackpad in the industry and made it even better.

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I still use tap to click and always will.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I'm sure that many will. For me, with Force Touch, I realized tap to click was just extra movement for no more benefit. Now I no longer need to lift my finger to click, and I find the behavior of using that method, especially when grabbing and moving windows or items much more consistent with a force click as opposed to a tap.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

To move windows, I just use three finger drag.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

For me that gesture always felt a little awkward, and it still doesn't solve the issue of moving other elements. To each their own though - and Force Touch just gives everyone more options!

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Just got my 2015 Macbook Pro today. The trackpad felt really odd coming from my 2012 Macbook Air, but I'm getting use to it.

11. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Love the new trackpad. Having used it now for over a month I feel inhibited when I go back to my 2011 MBP. Its just a much nicer experience

12. whitieiii macrumors newbie

I like the force touch trackpad on my mac but I barely use it as I use an external trackpad with my Mac anyways

13. newellj macrumors 601

I also used to use tap-to-click on the old diving board trackpad. That didn't help with the difference in pressure needed to click and drag. The consistent pressure on the new trackpad is a huge step forward.

14. markovchain macrumors member

I do not have any Mac with the new force touch.

All I want to know is if the force touch is more reliable and durable than the old trackpad. I have two MacBook Pro 15" 2009 and 2012. Both trackpads failed after an moderate use of around 24 months

Apple wants USD 100 for parts and labor included. :(

15. iamnotme macrumors regular

iamnotme

I got so used to in 2 months on my rMB 12" that my rMB 2014 feels weird to use. At first it was like witchcraft but now it feels completely natural. I really like it. I guess time will tell on durability. My sister in law has a 2010 MBP13 with all the keys completely worn down and battery life of about 3 minutes but her touchpad is like new.