Who doesn't need their MicroCell anymore since the 4S??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Oct 20, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I went from having like 1 bar without the MicroCell to obviously 5 with it. Now with the 4S I get 4-5 bars without the MicroCell.

2. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

so far i've tested it a lil bit with it on people can't still understand me but when i turned it off they can hear me a lot better, as far as 4 and 5 bars go i still don't get that :( i get stuck with 2 and 3 bars witch is not bad i guess but i was hoping to get at least 3 and 4 bars gurenteed.

3. akj27 macrumors member

Would anyone be so kind to tell me what microcell is? Thanks

4. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have just a tad bit more signal without microcell, but I still get no signal in my house without it.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A small box from your mobile provider you connect to the Internet. Calls in your house, for example, go to the microcell and out over the Internet rather than over the air waves. Helps in areas where people have a bad signal.

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

Same here, though the "tower power" still fluctuates a bit. What used to drive me crazy is receiving a call when I'm in a part of the house with good tower strength, then walking downstairs and seeing the call drop when the microcell took over. That doesn't seem to happen any more. I wonder if they finally fixed it so if you start a call on the tower, you'll stay on it until the end of the call even if the microcell signal beats the tower... that would be very nice.

7. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Perhaps your cellular provider put up a new tower nearby when you weren't looking?

8. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

there is no way your 4s improved your signal by 4 bars unless your 4 was just defective. The difference between a normal 4 and 4s will be a nominal improvement at best. What is more likely is that a tower was added or improved in your area during the period you were on the macrocell and you didn't notice.

9. meder87 macrumors regular

Maybe and maybe not. At my girlfriends apartment complex its pretty much in the woods. She lives on the bottom floor. In her apartment with ym 3GS I had ni bars. She has an iPhone 4 with Verizon and gets no bars. I have the 4S with AT&T and now I get 3 or 4 bars. Apple definitely fixed the antenna.

10. Dronomophone macrumors regular

I'll buy your microcell! My 3GS had 0-1 bars and now my 4S is the same, if not worse.

11. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I can only tell you what happend to me at my home in ct.

my iphone 4 was loosing calls have 1 to 2 bars at the most,

my iphone 4S has at list 3 bars and never loose a call,

I agree with you iphone 4 was defective phone and apple shuld replace it for free by replacing any one with iphone 4 with iphone 4S and giving out rubber gloves for useing the phone:mad:

12. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

That's a femtocell, no a microcell.

A microcell is actually a cell network tower that serves < 2km.

13. IcyStorm macrumors regular

Yeah but AT&T calls its product a "3G MicroCell". Probably does better in selling it than "FemtoCell".

14. Type121 macrumors regular

Yeah, but AT&T's femtocell-like product is conspicuously branded "Microcell".

15. Cybiker macrumors member

16. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As used in this context, I believe my explanation was correct.

18. jake921660 macrumors regular

you cant compare phones on 2 different networks. they use different towers so of course they will be different