Who Doesn't Really Game Anymore But Is Still Crazy About Them?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by SamIchi, Aug 25, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

A big part of me is videogames, yet! I never really play. The last time I said to myself, I'm goin to go downstairs and turn on a videogame.... was too long ago to remember. I have subs to 2 videogame mags, and constantly check up on the latest vg news online. Unless friends and fmily are already playin' a game, I don't find myself wanting to play. I have time free time too, but it's spent all on the internet. I'm sure there are others like me, it's a shame...

SNES days were so blissful, playin' hours on end, only to wake up the next day to play some more. I miss that.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

There was a point when I did that...before Wii launched...now I game a lot.

Everyday I check gaming news, I don't game everyday.

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I guess I'm kind of this way as well. I used to spend tons of time playing computer games (never had a console growing up). I think the older I get, the more picky about games I've become, and lately there hasn't really been games that just grab me. The last game that did that was Knights of the Old Republic. I couldn't stop playing it... But even then, a few years ago I probably would have played it again doing things differently, and I even tried to do that a week ago, but I just couldn't play it a second time.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

God, what I'd do for a game that grabbed me like KOTOR...it was SO much fun. I remember first starting it, and finding out I could control the fighting, and I was like "Awww...I want some action fighting"

I kept going and now its one of the best games I've ever played.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The last proper Gamecube game I bought was Metroid Prime 2, and the last Xbox was GTA:SA. After that there was a huge dry spot before the Wii. Even now the last game I bought was Strikers.

I don't play much any more. Probably about 2-3 hours a week on the Wii, maybe an hour on the 360, about 40 minutes a day on HL2 (since it's right infront of me). DS is mad, I can go weeks without it then spend a good few hours on one of the older games.

I can imagine my time seeping away in the next year or so. Back to playing only the must-haves :eek:

Does it count if it's my job? My studio CEO guy has a meeting with several publishers next week just for my game. It's a little nerve racking :eek:

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, before the Wii launch here too...but I still think I post more on the boards than I actually play the games :( Really sad. I need more time to sit down and play.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

In the past couple months I've spent a lot of time with 360, but I spend way more time reading about gaming news than I spend actually playing games.

8. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I do but only because there is nothing worthy of playing, I don't own a next gen console yet and there is nothing good on the PS2 anymore (haven't touched it in months since I beat God of War II).

Today I loaded up the Ravenholm level in Half-Life2 and enjoyed it a lot (I had forgotten how fun HL2 was) so I'll probably play that until I get my hands on Bioshock... after Bioshock I presume its back to "the read about games a lot and not play any of them at all" stage :D

After September,a flood of good cames are coming out on October and November so maybe I'll game a lot more then.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I am in the same situation. I play my DS a few hours a week, and thats about it (in fact, just cleared 198 lines in Tetris DS. Only two away from winning :( )

I think, like adrianblaine said, I have become more picky about what games I buy as I've become older (I am getting close to 20 now). The last game I bought was Pokemon for DS, and I sort of just stopped playing in the middle. There are a few DS games coming up I want to buy, but outside of that I don't see myself buying a Wii/360/PS3.

It's probably also because I have so much less free time now that I'm in college full time and working all the time too.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I expect to be reinvigorated with Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros, and Mario :D Strikers has done wonders

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Resident Evil really sucked me in. Now because of it, I'm finishing up Zelda and enjoying it.

Soon MP3 will be my game of consumption.

I play a couple of hours with my friends each week on WC3 mods these days.

<]=)

12. pcypert macrumors 6502

I don't sit at my console much, but I am playing the DS constantly as I'm always waiting for the sky train, on the sky train, waiting for movie, etc...lots of time spent in lines for me in Thailand and Cambodia...but prior to DS and Wii I had been on a long break.

Paul

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm hoping this too. Wii Sports and Strikers worked their way in and get played every few days at the latest. Once I 100% complete Prime and Galaxy I doubt I'll play them much again, but Brawl will be on the re-appearence list.

14. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Tetris DS is a joke, you can constantly spin the piece on the bottom, it kind of kills it. I still prefer Tetris DX. Only if that had online ability.

Same here, Brawl and Galaxies are on my top list. Metroid looks really good but I don't think I can commit enough time for it.

15. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

There are a few things about Tetris DS that bother me, the biggest one being the music. There is no option to play with the normal tetris music.

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I liked Tetris DS better than DX on many levels. It had so many things going for it. Push Tetris with DK's music was a blast while I played it to death. Multiplayer with 2 other friends was quite fun. As a whole it's a great game.

<]=)

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It appears that I'm like a few other posters here.

I have subscribed to Edge Magazine for over ten years and read every issue from the front cover to the back cover, I read a few industry magazines at work and enjoy the 'lively debate' ( ;) ) on this forum.

But, the last game I 'finished' was Oddworld: Strangers Wrath on the Xbox. The games that I've started but lost interest in and failed to complete include, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 (all Gamecube), Halo 2, Fable (Xbox), plus the entire Grand Theft Auto catalogue on PS2.

I just find that the majority of games that I've played over the past 4-5 years have failed to 'grab me' - with the exception of Strangers Wrath - and it's only the Wii's Virtual Console that I've been enjoying lately - namely, R-Type, a game that's twenty years old!

However, I think that I'll be buying a DS Lite plus the new Zelda game next year, with the hope that it'll re-ignite my passion for playing games to same level that I have for reading about and discussing them.

18. kakkoiimac macrumors regular

i also read more about gaming on the internet then actually playing them. I love games, but i think that it is easier to surf the net for 10 mins and read about them, than playing for a couple of hours. I just dont have that kind of time anymore...How i wish i did!

not to mention reading reviews and forums is free...gaming is kind of a costly hobby ( to me :eek:)

19. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I think I've always been more excited by the technology and possibilities in games than in the playing of them, but this has definitely gotten more one-sided as I get older. I can recall playing Atari 2600 and NES games for days and days, completely fascinated by the relatively repetitive gameplay. As the consoles grew more advanced through the years, everything looks shinier and there have been some evolutionary gameplay mechanics to be sure, but somewhere along the line I stopped having as much fun playing as I still have reading about the games.
    Now, as I sit here typing away on my Mac, my son is jumping around the room playing Pokemon Battle Revolution on the Wii, having an absolute blast. I hope that, as he grows older and we can share more mature gaming fare, my love for playing games can be re-ignited.
    Maybe I just need some of these exciting Wii and PS3 titles to get released already.;)

20. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I'm definitely one of the hardcore gamers who don't game much anymore. The only game I've been playing lately is Tremulous and that's maybe once or twice a week at best.

I've tried all the latest consoles and wish I had more time to game...

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Before Strikers Charged, I had been working on Pokémon Pearl/Battle Revolution(which I picked up on a whim, but it pushed me to played Pearl more)...but I went away for a while, and now back Pearl(and PBR) have not been keep my interest.

Striker Charged has...and now I've got Super Metriod to work on. MP:C should also bring me back for a while. Dewy's Adventure and MySims in Sept...but I'm not sure if I'll get them or not.

October,November,December are when things start picking up. Oct has BWii, Star Wars BattleFront: Renegade Squadron and Manhunt 2. I doubt I'll finish any of those before Super Mario Galaxy,Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles,Medal of Honor: Heroes 2,God of War: Chains of Olympus,NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams,Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3,LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga,Geometry Wars: Galaxies coming in Nov! But if I end up getting anything other then Super Mario Galaxy,Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles I'd be shocked.

And then in Dec Super Smash Brother Brawl...and then every other game will be forgotten by me.

22. Archmagination macrumors regular

I am kinda the same.. I used to play 4-12 hours every day, but now I spend more time doing other stuff than playing them. Sadly I got hooked on anime and manga(besides being a huge book reader) and it just cuts down on my gaming time.. I game maybe 2 hours a day at most(I have actually gone weeks without playing a single game now!!)

What's really sad is I haven't been able to be completely engrossed enough in a game to actually finish them in years. I am an RPG fanatic and the last RPG I managed to finish was FF10. FF7, FF8, FF9, FF12 I am near the end of them all, but they all ended up boring me too much. I miss the days of FF3, Chrono Trigger, Master of Orion, Pax Imperia(I still consider this game one of the best in history.. 24-36 hours straight I have played it. I was so obsessed with this game that I wouldn't even go to the bathroom, eat or drink while playing it that long... as you can imagine that wasn't good for my health:rolleyes: )

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

From about February till a few weeks ago I was playing games maybe 2 hours a week but still reading about them, surfin forums, etc. everyday and was beginning to think the dream was over and I was just clinging on to the last threads of my gaming hobby.

But... then I started playing Mario 64 again and then moved onto Super Mario World then onto FFXII and now I am playing Bioshock like crazy (it's actually gotten better) and Jeanne D'arc for the PSP so my video game faith so to speak has been reinvigorated. And with mario, halo, warhawk, uncharted, CoD4, etc. etc. etc. coming out in the next few months hopefully the trend can stay and I will go back to the good ol' days.

24. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I made a Thread like this last year with the same feeling.

To tell you guys the truth I wasn't sure I was going to get into "this gen" gaming because I grew tired of it....I held on tightly to this hobby of mines playing games like once a week then it slipped to one every so often.

No game has really brought me back yet....R6:V is a sure close one though but as of right now I just like to read about whats new in the world of games and keep up to date.

Bless

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Don't we all :p and here I am with all of them. :rolleyes:

And yet I havent seriously 'gamed' in ages. When will I learn..... :eek: