Who Else Accidentally Taps Their Mac Screen Now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobob, Oct 9, 2010.

?

Have you ever mistaken your Mac for your iPad and accidentally tapped it's screen?

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Has any other iPad user accidentally tapped, swiped, or pinched their Mac?

After using the iPad for a few months now, every once in a while when I'm using my MacBook I accidentally tap the screen mistakenly expecting it to respond. Then the thought floats through my mind: What kind of primitive machine is this?!? Then I come back to Earth and realize it's just my good old reliable MacBook...

2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

LOL

I not only have tapped my iMac, once I caught myself about to "pinch zoom".

The iPad has me hugely spoiled. I want Apple to hurry up with the fold-down Touch Screen iMac.

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I can't say i've ever tried to tap the screen on any of my Macs, but it does really mess me up when i have to use the old Windows Mobile based PDA at work. It drives me crazy trying to use that thing. For one thing, its resistive stylus based touch screen sucks and you have to use the stupid scroll bar on the side to scroll. I have often found myself trying to just lightly tap with my finger to scroll, and even pinch to zoom. Oh, and this is a $4,000 piece of equipment. http://www.trimble.com/geoxt.shtml

4. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

I haven't but it's an iMac so it's a bit further away than a laptop would be so I guess I can distinguish it better. Would be cool a touchscreen iMac like in the patent a few weeks ago

5. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Yes, frequently, and usually by accident. The strange thing is that the screen has now started responding to my taps and pinches.

6. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

This thread made me smile. I did this to my MacBook the other day at the library, and embarrassingly looked around to make sure no one noticed:D.

7. guywoodman7 macrumors member

I'm guilty of this too, even worse though. I was reading a newspaper the other day, and came across a word I didn't know the definition of. I instinctively double tapped the word on the paper thinking a Dictionary option would pop up (ala iBooks).

8. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Are you sure this happened? I know muscle memory is a powerful thing, but how many word look-ups are you doing that would make you tap PAPER? If this is true though...hilarious.

9. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Heh. I've been through this stage and come out the other side.

I still hit double space and expect it to come out with a full stop, plus other assumed autocorrections.

10. guywoodman7 macrumors member

Yes, as stupid as I feel confirming it, its true.

I wasn't a big reader till I got the iPad. I would maybe read 1 or 2 books a year. I've had my iPad since it came out and am currently on my 10th book. I use the dictionary all the time in iBooks and I love it.

When I did this to the newspaper I felt pretty stupid, and I didn't realize what I did until after my 2nd tap when the dictionary prompt didn't come up.

I'm becoming very accustomed to convenience as I'm sure you can tell.

11. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Been there done that and got several T-shirts. I've not only done it on my iMac at home but I've tried to do it on my Dell laptop at work. It's really bad when a co-worker sees you do it. :D

12. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

13. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

This is what happens when living a "Mac life" my man.

Also, could you go on some Kindle threads and let them know how the iPad has improved your reading habit. I'm sure it would shut a few people up :D.

14. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

How close is your iMac to your face that you can tap it without going for a reach? Don't burn your retina's out, dude!

The thing I find myself doing since being an iPhone and iPad user is double tapping the space bar on my keyboard for a period instead of reaching for the key.

15. Touchstone64 macrumors regular

My six-year-old daughter taps just about anything with a screen now. She knows they're not all touchscreens; I think she's hoping they will be :)

16. larock macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/20.2489; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

I've actually caught myself wanting to pinch/zoom magazine pictures.

17. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I haven't tried to use touch to control my Mac. I don't have it close enough to me to touch, plus as it is a different operating system it does not even occur to me to touch the screen. To be honest I like it that way, I can see the point of touch on a laptop, but not on a desktop.
    Though I have when reading books had the thought 'how do I change the size of the text' then remembered that books don't do that.

18. Robin4 macrumors 6502

I've typed on a "regular" keyboard and pressed vowels expecting the international symbols to appear. I couldn't remember where I could find the symbols, lol.

19. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

20. AppleTools macrumors member

AppleTools

I do tap and pinch on purpouse on my friends' PCs if that counts... :D

21. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Heck, if you think its embarrassing doing it on your own laptop, try doing it to someone else's when trying to show them a website...

Her: "What's wrong? Is there a smudge on my screen, sorry about that."
    Me: "No, i'm just tryin-...... a smudge, yes."

22. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I definitely did, I actually thought the iPad was multi gestured for some reason... It would be great if we can swipe forward/backwards to go back a page on a browser, ipod, etc instead of clicking the little button.

23. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Some woman came to my office looking to get her Kindle on the company Wifi and the first thing I did was touch the screen - not the first time either. >_>

24. circularforward macrumors 6502

When I was trying out the Kindle 3, I found myself doing that all the time too, and I would be annoyed that i would have to use physical arrow keys to position the cursor.

25. redman042 macrumors 68020

It's a real problem in my household. My wife tried to pinch-zoom on the built-in nav system in our Acura. My 2 year old daughter tries to tap objects on our TV. It's hilarious!