Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Now that they have fixed the scrolling time selection wheel in iOS 14 I wouldn’t mind keeping it. But also like the option to type it in. Maybe have both. Keep the scroll wheels but a long press brings up the keypad.

just curious, what was wrong with the scrolling time selection? i've never had an issue with it. meanwhile, am getting used to the new entry method; what else is there to do?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
just curious, what was wrong with the scrolling time selection? i've never had an issue with it. meanwhile, am getting used to the new entry method; what else is there to do?
The wheel would bounce back and forth and take a few tries to land on the right number. Now it’s very smooth. At least that has been my experience. I don’t mind the new entry method once it’s polished, I was just suggesting a way they could possibly do both.

Reactions: Ravi_MR

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don’t have to exit and start again from scratch. Just highlight it and type in the time. Is calendar or the clock app crashing for you or something?

Not crashing. It gets stuck where after you enter the time, if you change your mind, whatever you type next only changes the minutes field and won’t change the hours, in a constant loop.

You don’t have to force quit but you have to exit the specific alarm and re enter it.

I just played around with calendar and it won’t happen in there no matter what I do, so I guess this really is just a bug.

Reactions: The1andOnly

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Not crashing. It gets stuck where after you enter the time, if you change your mind, whatever you type next only changes the minutes field and won’t change the hours, in a constant loop.

You don’t have to force quit but you have to exit the specific alarm and re enter it.

I just played around with calendar and it won’t happen in there no matter what I do, so I guess this really is just a bug.
Oh okay I see what you are saying.
I don’t really have that issue either, but I always use a 24 hour clock. So it’s super quick to just type in the whole time. I’m not sure what this new format looks or acts like using a 12 hour and having to select AM/PM.

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
Back to the old way?

Kind of.
B28B40A8-3CEA-4794-B74F-119BD8C97388.jpeg

Reactions: The1andOnly

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
I can't comment on the current iOS 14 beta, as I'm not using it myself, but the scrolling wheel in iOS 13 is awful. I hate it with a passion. It's so damn hard to use - scroll just a bit too fast, and it will go way past your target in a fraction of a second, and you'll have to scroll back (and you'll face the same issue while trying to scroll back). Scroll slowly enough to keep that from happening, and it will take ages (and an awful lot of scrolls) to reach your target. In fact, it seems to have only two scrolling speeds: one by one, or lightning fast. Nothing in between. I hate it.
I do hope they come up with something better in iOS 14.

Last edited:

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Now that they have fixed the scrolling time selection wheel in iOS 14 I wouldn’t mind keeping it. But also like the option to type it in. Maybe have both. Keep the scroll wheels but a long press brings up the keypad.
Basically I created this feature and now work for Apple ;)

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Cinimod1000

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2016
Reported.
[/QUOTE]
Haven't tried it personally, but some discussions like at https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/18/whats-new-in-ios-14-beta-5/ seem to say that the new input method is still there (perhaps simply via typing it in when you are on that selection).

Now that's pretty cool. Same for the Calendar app. Can use the number pad to tap out the time - OR - can simply tap and hold the hours (or minutes) and scroll the numbers. Pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.