iPad Pro Who else got a 1TB model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Infiniteconstancy, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Infiniteconstancy macrumors regular

Infiniteconstancy

Loving my 12.9. Happy I got it. Crazy to see all of the negativity for those that purchased 1TB. What gives?

2. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

Most people write from their perspective. Most people didn't get the 1TB.

3. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I am liking the 12.9 1tb. Very useful for my needs.

4. KawaiiKitsune13 macrumors regular

KawaiiKitsune13

I did. Waiting on a good screen protector before I fire it up though. Call me odd but this thing was an investment for the cost and I want it to stay pristine

5. dbrothers macrumors newbie

Got a 1TB 11 inch. Found out after the fact that I also got 50% more program memory. Very happy with my purchase.

6. Greenmeenie macrumors 6502a

Greenmeenie

Yeah, I think for the avg user, 1 TB is overkill. But as an artist, I am definitely springing for the extra storage. Kinda pricey, but worth it for me.

I am just having a hard time deciding btwn the 11” & 12.9”!

7. Capt T macrumors 6502a

What do you have now?

8. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

With 1TB I can comfortably store my entire iTunes library, several seasons of movies, all photos, and probably a lot of other stuff, while still having free space. That’s how crazy it is.
    So surely, 1TB can give you a lot more than before.

9. plucky duck macrumors 6502a

Wow, priced an 11” 1TB iPad, almost $2000cdn, damn. At that price, why not a real MacBook variant? Is workflow that much better on the iPad form factor, don’t you guys feel you’re compromising too much to “fit in”?

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

256GB is about right but 1TB not sure what I would do with that amount

11. bandrews macrumors 6502a

If you want pencil support for photography/artwork etc then a macbook isn't going to work. If you want a form of stylus input you're looking at shelling out an additional £750 for a 13" Wacom display to hook up to your mac or £2000 for a standalone Wacom tablet which runs Windows.

12. techiegirl macrumors 65816

techiegirl

I bought the 1tb, not because I need the 1tb, but because of the 6gigs of RAM. But the 1tb isn’t bad either. I have 100 movies downloaded and still have 400 gigs of space.

13. Davefevs macrumors member

Davefevs

I’ve found that for both iPhones and iPads, that it’s storage that’s mainly driven the need to replace (battery life on older Apple devices such as iPod). Until recently I’ve not been able to afford anything other than the lowest storage model, e.g. 16gb IPad > 32Gb IPad Pro. Now my 32Gb is full, it’s time to change again. Admittedly I can’t justify the price the a 1tb, but I can afford 256g over the 64gb.

I certainly don’t have any issues with anyone going for the 1tb if they can justify the price. Storage requirements are always increasing, so judging that my current 1st Gen works perfectly fine after 3 years of use, paying a bit more for additional storage may prolong the usable life of the device, making it a smarter decision in the long run. That’s why I will go for the 256gb, when 64gb might only last me a shorter amount of time.

I partly think the upgrade cycle (increasing term) is one of the reasons behind increased prices.

14. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

If I could get 2TB of storage with 8GB of RAM as a bonus I would have paid a pretty penny, lol. At 2TB I can actually store my working Lightroom catalog locally instead of needing a 2TB external SSD.

For those of you with 1TB/6GB RAM, could you please test something for me? If you have the app Procreate, could you make a new document, 19" x 13" at 300 DPI, and tell me what it calculates as the maximum layers shown above the numpad? On my 256GB/4GB RAM model, it shows a maximum of 20 layers at this resolution. Seeing that this app has already been updated to take advantage of the new iPad Pro display quirks, I was wondering if it also senses the extra RAM on your models and allows for more layers. Thank you.

15. tskwara macrumors newbie

Maximum Layers = 20

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Thanks for the response. This is interesting. So either they haven't updated the app for the new RAM yet (but did update it for the new displays), or the additional RAM doesn't seem to be usable by the OS, which may be why Apple didn't advertise it and it's only for managing the file system on the larger SSD. It's also possible that maybe Apple kept the amount of RAM available to apps the same and now allows iOS to use the additional RAM to keep more apps loaded into memory?

17. Capt T macrumors 6502a

For me it is a work tool that I use in conjunction with a fully loaded MBP. Carrying the iPad while walking on job site is way easier than carrying the heavier MBP. The 6gb of ram is a big improvement with the files needed.

It is all in use cases, not to ‘fit in’. I am not compromising anything, as I use the device to improve the workflow while onsite.

If all you want is to ‘fit in’ then you can certainly do that with a cheaper option, not the 1tb option, as you would be the only one to know what internally you have. Although personally not sure an iPad will be the answer of the ability to ‘fit in’

18. Ettepetje macrumors newbie

I will use my upcoming 1TB iPad Pro 12.9 mainly for storing, editing and watching 4K video content that I shoot.

It frees up memory of my ‘old’ 2017 iPad Pro 512MB so I can store more photo’s there. Have been struggling with storage for the better part of a year. I cannot wait to put Lumafusion to use with all that free space and faster cpu/gpu.

Don’t earn any money from video or photo’s as I prefer to keep it an (expensive) hobby. But one with great rewards.

19. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

ME!

I got the 11 inch and am happy I did. I use my iPad all day every day for work and pleasure. I actually use it more than my MacBook, it is a hell of a companion. If they ever improve the file system and add the Pro Apps, I could see myself moving to the iPad 100%

I got the 1 TB because I like to have all of my files and media on board at all times. I plan to keep this iPad for at least 3 years, and I am getting back into my video editing hobby. I also wanted that extra RAM.

The cost was high, but I am offsetting a good portion of the cost selling my 10.5 with accessories.