Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
I am extremely pissed off at PayPal.

I have 2 PayPal accounts. 1 is (was) a Business account, and the other one was a Premier. I've had these accounts for about 4 years now. NEVER any issues. I've done at least $75,000 in transactions in the years with buisnesses and all, but for some reason, it started going down hill in March. At this point, i was selling unlocked iPhones on eBay. Everything started out fine. A few months before i was selling things and dealing with around $10k A MONTH. I took a break of selling iPhones, come back to sell one, and i get an email from Paypal.

Here, they ask for a reciept and tracking numbers. I provided that info, and in 3 days, i was all set on my way.

2 weeks later, i'm in the middle of a few transactions, and my account is limited again. Okay, seriously? This time, they need a photo ID an my SSN. So i did what i was suppose to do, and i get an email back. Since i usedd my school ID instead of a drivers license, (they said i could use one). I get an email back saying i can't use it, and since they took 1 WEEK to respond back, my account was limited, and i couldn't do anything with the account for 180 days.

3 days ago, i had sold my current iPhone on my Premier account. I also bought a new GPU and a few laptop parts. I get an email saying my account is limited, and i need to provide a tracking number, and SSN. So i do.

Tonight, i get this:
PayPal said:
Dear Nick Sxxxxxxxxxxx,

Your account access limitation cannot be lifted at this time. We need more
information about your account before we can proceed with the appeal
process. Please complete the steps below so that we may review your
account further:

In order for us to complete the verification process we are requesting you
to provide us with additional information as stated below:

Print this page.

Attach either a copy of your driver's license OR a recent utility bill
showing your name and address. Please ensure that the name and address
match.

Attach either a copy of your social security card or a copy of your
pay-stub, that includes your entire Social Security Number.

Fax or mail this page with the additional information to:

PayPal, Inc.
Attn: Verification Department
P.O. Box 45950
Omaha, NE 68145-0950

Fax: 1-402-537-5733

Once we receive this form, we will verify your information. You will
receive an email when this occurs. Note: This process may take up to one
week.

Name: _________________________________________

Address: _________________________________________

Email: _________________________________________

Social Security Number: __ __ __ - __ __ - __ __ __ __

I certify under penalty of perjury that the number given is my correct
social security number (SSN).

Signature (required) ______________________________________

Sincerely,
Melissa
PayPal Account Review Department
PayPal, an eBay Company

Are you ***** KIDDING ME?

I'm done with PayPal, seriously. I now have hundreds of dollars of my own money sitting there when i could use it for things i need. This email almost sounds like a scam email, but it isn't..

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Are you getting these messages via email, or when you log into PayPal.com? If you're getting them via email and not when you log in, there's about a 99% chance that it's just a scam, and not coming from paypal at all. And I'd think this even if I ignored the fact that PayPal is based in California, not Nebraska.

Sure hope you didn't give them any info...

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
It is a scam by others other than paypal. Paypal does not require ID or SS#. NEVER send anyone on the internet your SS#.

I have used Paypal for both sending someone money, and for buying things on line. Never a problem. NEVER respond to paypal like e-mails saying your account has problems, ect. They are fake.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Easiest way is to log onto your PayPal account.

If this is not a scam you will quickly see if there is a problem with your account. Get started at the (I think) Resolution centre. The list of documents you need to fax or mail will be listed.

But don't respond to the email. ;)

A few months back I made the mistake of doing a transfer via PayPal while I was away on holiday.
What a mistake! My account was under lock and key until I could "prove" that it was indeed me and not a thief. :(

weazbert

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
MI
while the above does look like i scam, i loathe paypal regardless.

Google checkout FTW :)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
while the above does look like i scam, i loathe paypal regardless.

Google checkout FTW :)

Only problem is eBay and PayPal are so intertwined these days it's hell getting paid with Google checkout (in the EC at least).

Even for non-eBay purchases PayPal seems to be the default system. :(

weazbert

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
MI
Only problem is eBay and PayPal are so intertwined these days it's hell getting paid with Google checkout (in the EC at least).

Even for non-eBay purchases PayPal seems to be the default system. :(

I know, and it sucks. Paypal has become that necessary evil. But Google checkout can be an alternative. Windows used to be a necesary evil as well. :)

whats the EC you reference? sorry its late and i'm not thinking :)

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
The first thing i checked when i got the email was it's validity, and it does come from PayPal. My account does reflect this information as well.

Isn't that sickening though? They actually want me to mail them a copy of my SSN card, and a utility bill.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I must admit, I'm angry at PayPal too... but for a completely different reason. I just got an email yesterday informing me that I should get verified to lift my sending limit. I think that's incredibly stupid of them - my impression was that the sending limit resets eventually. Now that I learned that it doesn't... let's just say my activity with them is coming to an immediate and permanent halt.:mad:

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
This sounds like a scam, but the address seems to check out. I would give them a call to verify though.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Interesting story, but I hate PayPal just because it is so damn hard (or at least it used to be) to cancel your account and stop getting those emails saying that you will have identity theft/ other scary stuff etc.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
PayPal has to be the worst experience of my life. I will never deal with them again. They are an absolute joke and I can't believe they are allowed to continue service. The FTC has a case from me and I've already been involved in litigation with them. The worst ever, no really, THE WORST EVER!

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
I hate PayPal. I have been using them for successful business on eBay. Because one day I was selling more than usual, they decided to limit my account and asking me to provide some docs. I did but refused and they decided to end business with me. But hey ! They are keeping some funds in my account for 6 month before I can get them.

I decided to close my bank account, that was linked to my PayPal account, and open a new one (because I heard a lot of horror stories).

I now decided to not use PayPal and eBay. The are both big but ugly companies.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
I use eBay and Paypal constantly, but I don't like Paypal. Both companies side with buyers too easily. Paypal really scares me with the possibility of locking my bank accounts because of a dispute.

Paypal was one of the 64 contestants on the "Worst Companies In America" competition on Consumerist.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
A few months back I made the mistake of doing a transfer via PayPal while I was away on holiday.
What a mistake! My account was under lock and key until I could "prove" that it was indeed me and not a thief. :(

They do this, to protect you. Like asking for a drivers license when using a credit card. To me, that is worth it, rather than having someone clean me out.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I hate paypal, too. It never plays nice with any of my bank accounts and transfers take up to a month for me. I've had my account limited for no reason, too. Lately, I've just been asking for payment in iTunes credit. Although I lose a few bucks sometimes (since you can only pay in increments of 10 USD), it saves me the fees/trouble. And I use the credit, too.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
To verify this, did you type in paypal.com, or did you follow a link in the email?

idyll

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
They truly are terrible.

OP, I have gone through the same exact thing as you when I first started using my PayPal account frequently a little over a year ago. Luckily, once I went through that process I have never had a problem 100+ transactions later. What sped up the process for me was calling PayPal and ALWAYS asking to speak with the supervisor. The first person you get on the phone is more than likely is trained to reiterate things from a book and can't make any decisions. This goes for when you call banks and most other companies too.

When I asked to speak with the supervisor, things were always cleared up within minutes and I was apologized to. For example, as soon as I sent them a copy of my drivers license I called to make sure they got it and the supervisor checked it out right there and then on the spot and lifted the limitation.

Good luck

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
I get scam emails saying paypal as the sender. When you click on the link it looks legit but I tested it out by typing in some random email address and password and I got a confirmation message saying thanks for updating your account.

I will never enter my information on any website unless I directly type it into my browser. If any information is in question I call the company directly.

This is a scam. I have never heard of anyone asking for a SS# (even when cashing out money from online gambling sites).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.