Who else hates rogers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tom Foolery, May 2, 2008.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

lets collectively share our hate for rogers

and by all means don't limit yourself to rogers wireless, they have many other services that are equally as crap

2. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I love Mr. Rogers...it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Please won't you be my neighbor? ;)

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Dude - I've watched Ghostbusters. Chill.

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I signed up for cable internet from Rogers shortly after it was launched in Toronto. But they wanted $200 for installation.
    Why I asked?
    For a technician to install the hardware/software.
    I don't need a technician.
    Oh. Well we have a $120 Do-it-yourself installation option.
    If I'm doing it myself, why am I paying you anything?
    For the appropriate (Ethernet) network card and software.
    I don't need one. I have a Mac with built-in Ethernet.
    Oh, then to install the networking software.
    It's already installed with the OS. (System 8.5, IIRC). I don't need to install anything.
    Um, well we are having a special promotion that expires by the end of the month. Free installation.

Back then, they gave the option for static IP at no cost, so I choose it. I used Timbuktu to control my home network from work, and vise-versa. Static IPs worked well for that. When they ran out of IPs, and were updating their infrastructure, they no longer offered static IPs. They called me with the good news.

Good news! We are upgrading our network, and now offer dynamic IP addresses to serve you better!
    Um, I need a static address." I said.
    But the new network will work better for you.
    Why, is it faster?
    Well, not quite "faster"
    Can I still have my static IP?
    Ah, no. Not unless you upgrade to the business plan.
    Is it cheaper, then?
    No, the new network is offered at the same great price! (Honest to Dog, they said that)
    Then how can it possibly be an improvement?

No answer.
    I cancelled the service within the month.

I have Rogers cable. When they called once too many times to try to upsell our service, I bit back (okay, we were considering this next step anyway).

Are you interested in upgrading from Plan B to Plan A?
    No. In fact, take me down to Plan C.
    I'm sorry, I can't do that. This is the Promotions Department.
    Okay. Transfer me to the Demotions Department.

My cable bill is now $20 a month, and we're probably gonna drop it completely over the summer.

Rogers isn't evil, it's capitalist.
    Oh, wait. Same thing.

5. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

never heard truer words than that.

there cable service is awful. i have movie network on demand and there are always problems with it. sometimes the browser it's self won't load sometimes the movies won't load there is always a problem.

and does rogers give me a discount on that months payment certainly not. but why shouldn't they. they are not providing me with the full service taht i payed for.

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

:D aka the customer retention department, aka the I'm about to leave, if you don't sweeten the offer.

7. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

isn't this kinda random to have in the iPhone area?
    Does know no one see this is out of place?

How could you hate Rogers, they annouced they WILL be getting the iPhone.

8. graemesangels macrumors member

I've been using Rogers for wireless, cable tv and internet for the last 5 or so years and I've had very few problems. My cell phone always works, the movie network on demand that was mentioned above works 19 times out of 20 for me and I only lose my internet connection during power outages

While they are far from perfect I think SOME people hate on them just because they're a big corporation and an easy target.

My only real complaint are their prices. They are astronomical and they encourage very long term contracts. But as was mentioned they are a capitalist company in a capitalist society, what do you expect. Their intentions are to make as much money as possible. Since there is little competition this is pretty easy.

I've been waiting for the iPhone to come to Canada for a long time and I'm excited to see how Rogers handle it. If it's too expensive I'm just going to buy a 1G model and unlock it and use it without a data plan.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

They also announced 8GB N95. Guess you Canadians might gave got it earlier if there was a decent 3G network already up?