Who else: iPhone without voice ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChristianJapan, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

wonder how many here would use a phone only with a data plan, without explicit voice.

I actually did ... Got a SIM-free/contract free 6S Plus in Japan and put a MVNO sim in with 10GB/month and SMS for some 2500 JPY. I don't really need voice, I mainly use message and FaceTime and recently Apple Music. With voice I could easy pay 2-3x and for emergencies I still have a company phone. So I think a smart way of doing in my situation.

Sure, sound like I could use an iPad, but our friends in Cupertino don't let us sync the watch with an iPad. :mad: Plus in the trains the size difference is quite significant.

Anyone else ?

2. koulmj macrumors 6502

I wish man, I never use my phone to talk. if I had DATA and TEXT only I would be completely happy. Verizon, ATT, Mobile...here in the US, data only doesn't fly.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Can you not put a SIM with an Ipad plan in the Iphone to accomplish what you want?

4. koulmj macrumors 6502

I've heard of such things, but never tried it. For the simplicity, I just keep shelling out the money for a voice plan I never use. Besides, I would not be able to text cell phones who DON'T use iMessages using that method. Many of my students/customers don't have Apple Products.

5. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

You could use a third party app like TextPlus to send and receive text messages.

C

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Nearly everyone in Japan uses Line App for phone calls anyway. I'd have no issues with that, and if you really needed a phone number you can set up a VOIP service. In the US Google Voice works great and you can send MMS messages if you convert to hangouts.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I did a year with an iPhone 3GS solely on WiFi. Granted, it was my secondary phone, but it did introduce me to iOS so I was ready when I got my iPhone 5.

It's doable.

At the time, I was using Talkatone for voice calls and SMS using my Google Voice number. My funademental self-imposed requirement was that I had to have some sort of app that allowed normal phone calls and text messages. I couldn't force my family and friends to install apps and create accounts for services they would never really use just so I could call/text them. I also had iMessage and WiFi for everything else. The only time it was not functional was away from WiFi. So, with a data plan only I can see this as being easily achievable. In the United States the government requires all carriers to allow all cell phones, regardless of lock status, activation status, etc to connect to their network and make emergency calls. So, even if I'd been stuck with no WiFi I could have at the very least made an emergency call.

I don't think however, that without Google Voice I would have done so well.