Who else is addicted to other gadgets?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jmack549, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Besides laptops...I seem to go through 10 cellphones a year.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ten mobile phones per year?

Waste of money and damaging to the environment. Nice.

3. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Waste of money? On a Mac forum? C'mon now...

4. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

Well its ont a gaget but a iTunes Store Gife card I bought 50 last year

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Seriously, I get a new phone maybe once every 2 or 3 years.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me too. I only buy Macs every 2 or 3 years as well. Why? Because I don't need to.

And yes, this is a Mac forum. It doesn't mean I can't consider the impact my buying habits have on the environment.

7. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're avoiding the fact that you said waste of money.

Truth be told, my $600 work Gateway has better specs than my $1100 Macbook. Waste of money? To some, yes. I prefer Macs, so I buy them. But to 90% of the population, I "waste my money" by buying a Mac.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Please don't start that worn out argument.

What about the enviormental impact of your frivilous buying habit?

9. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I didn't buy them someone else would. I sell my old ones on Ebay and buy new ones. What's the big deal?

10. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Not addicted to cellphones. I think the iPhone is a collection-stopper. I did cave in and get the plum LG CU515 on an upgrade of my other ATT line.

Every quiltmaker's ruler and template that ever crossed my line of sight.

Specialty scissors for cutting fabric or thread. Whoever is caught cutting paper, grapes, chicken or wire with them dies by nightfall.

Small nested glass bowls, whisks, porcelain chopstick rests, those shallow dipping sauce dishes, porcelain ginger graters. One of a kind small to medium size china or ceramic bowls. They live on one end of an old candymaker's table in the kitchen and I just grab for them as needed. You can never have too many little bowls if you like to cook from scratch :)

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Exactly. I don't know what sort of ride either Abstract or Cassie is getting out of this pointless discussion.

Why either of you feel the need to immediately attack this person? You had absolutely no idea what the OP did with his old phones when he purchased a new one.

Did you honestly think that the OP would just through them in the bin?

As for the original question, my addiction seems to be localised to Macs, iPods and camera gear.

David

12. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Im into audio.

Yup besides my several Apple products Im addicted to audio products...

- Sony 'mini hi-fi' system.
    - Bose QC2 headphones.
    - Bose Companion 3 Series II computer speakers.
    - Bose in-ear headphones.
    - Among others:p

As for cellphones I've only had 3 in my entire life (Im 16) a very old thick Nokia that I had to change beacuse of the technology and proudly on of the first SLVR L7 in my country:D later on my sweet sweet iPhone; Computers only two: my inherited beloved and unfortunately dead 12" PB and my current C2D BlackBook. Also computer cases I love them:p I have like 5 now eheh.

13. neilspartacus macrumors member

Any or all gadgets

I would love to buy any or all gadgets :D if i had money to :D:D
    Im simply a gadget maniac...:p

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And they had to manufacture 10 phones per year for him.....and ship 10 phones by plane and truck (pollution, waste of oil).....and the 10 individual sets of packaging (waste).......and reshipping 9 phones per year to another person one month after he buys it (pollution, waste of oil, and waste of postal packaging).....

Did you honestly think that the wastefulness of his purchasing stops at the materials of the phone itself?

But why you feel the need to comment on our valid comment, when you apparently know nothing about the topic, is funny. I mean, I don't mind if you just gave some useful comment regarding what we said, but you ALSO posted just to criticise our post....and didn't do a great job, either.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/category/327680012.php

EDIT TO ADD: Ah OK. I see $639 and $649 laptops sold at Walmart and BestBuy. They look better specced in most areas, especially if you only need a 1.6 GHz Core Duo (rather than a 2 GHz Core2Duo). It comes at a cost if you wanted a small, light, and fast laptop, but I do see your point.

15. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

That argument glosses over certain things. For example, it assumes that the OP does not recycle packaging for his items, and buys new packaging to post. As for the argument for posting things unnecessarily, well not much can really be said for that unless you are going to suggest companies stop selling physical items that require delivery.

Actually, I posted to take part in the discussion about 'addiction to non-Apple gadgets', unlike yourself or Cassie. Notice the end of my post.

The topic wasn't started so that you could come in here and tell someone how many items were appropriate to purchase annually. Yet, that is all you felt like doing. This was completely unnecessary.

As I pointed out, the validity of your comment is still in question. I know quite a lot about environmental issues actually. Just because I have different opinions from you, doesn't mean that I don't know anything.

Likewise, I have also pointed out that I did in fact participate to share my 'addiction to non-Apple gadgets'. This is reflected in my first post. Feel free to re-read. ;)

At the end of the day, sure it might be needless to purchase 10 mobile phones in a year, but that is not what the topic is about.

16. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I'm addicted to iPods. I've had a 15gb 3G, a 4gb mini, a 4gb nano, a 1gb shuffle, a 30gb 5G, and now a 16gb touch. I can't seem to resist the new models when they come out... I'm hoping the touch, with jailbreaking/SDK, will be my last one because of it's expandability... adding new features via software rather than hardware is the way it should be.

But, eventually they'll make one with BT and/or a camera built in and I'll probably be sucked into it. :(

Other than that, I buy a new computer ever 2-3 years, and probably one other tech gadget a year, so despite what my wife thinks, I control myself. I overbought on my computer this time around (see sig) so I can try to push it out an extra 2 years (4 to 5 year lifespan total). I'll add an external HDD eventually, and I'll upgrade to 4gb of RAM when it's practical and I feel like I need it, and I might even hang another monitor off the side towards the end of the 4-5 years, but all in all, I THINK I can make this one last for 5 years. :eek:

17. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

I see what you are saying as far as gasoline and oil, but who's to say I'm not closer than the other highest bidder was? Meaning, if I hadn't won, there would have been more of it used. So I could really be saving the world.

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Same here, if I could, I would buy any cool gadget I see! Not enough cash though, I must be the only one still using a Nokia 6230! Plus I dont even own a working Mac anymore (im working on that one!).

19. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I have a hard time passing on new glass for the Nikon. Also, I have a ever expanding collection of fountain pens, primarily from the period before WW II. There is something about writing with a fine old fountain pen. In my work, so little is hand written, I want to enjoy it when I do use a pen. I even keep a bottle of ink in my desk. Oh, also Colt percussion revolvers. I have way too many of them, but yet, I will buy another when it pops up. :D

20. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My dad has model trains....
    me? I'm too poor to afford anything. Do Wii games count? I have 4 so far, and plan on getting another 3:rolleyes:

Oh, and I still have my collection of magic cards from middle/high school.

21. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well taking the thread title to another meaning, I am quite addicted to my new cellphone. Hard reset it twice yesterday because I was having problems sending picture MMS. Turns out that you shouldn't delete the "T-mobile Data" connection even if you don't have a data plan :p

That and my Wii has been getting a lot of play due to my favorite game ever (StarTropics) being released for it. :)