Who else is guilty of it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiceRacerDX, Sep 13, 2009.

1. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Maybe it's just out of habit by now, but I've owned an iPhone since they first came out...and I use to just check my email, check for an sms badge because I might have accidentally closed out the preview on the lock screen earlier and just forgot, or a voicemail and call under the same circumstances...and anything else worth checking my iPhone for.
    But where I'm going with this is now I find myself just randomly unlocking my iPhone just for the sake of unlocking it only to lock it back again. At the same time, I may just flip through the different pages of apps I have for no intended reason only to once again lock it. Maybe it helps take my mind off of the walk to my car or the long wait in line at the grocery store.
    Anyways, has anyone else caught themselves doing this before or am I in a league of my own?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I can't say that I meaninglessly unlock and relock my iPhone. But I have the bad habit of checking my email every few minutes :p

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I used to do that too ... but I got the "PUSHMAIL" app and was able to break that habit. Pushmail works great.

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You've read my mind.

5. xanatos macrumors regular

I do the same thing. I sit I'm bed just flipping the screens bakc and forth to see the apps. For no reason at all. I just like seeing how cool this technology is. The lock and unlock sound is addicting oh boy. I think we all might need to be check in for mental problems

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think you are correct. ;)

As for me, I don't do the unlock/lock thing.

7. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

8. cytoxyn macrumors regular

cytoxyn

9. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It's very much an addiction.

10. davyreins macrumors 6502

I do this too. Not sure why, just a weird habit when I'm bored I guess.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I do it too! Wow. I would just unlock my iPhone… scan through the 2 pages I had… realize there was nothing I wanted to do on it, and relock it and stick it in my pocket.

12. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

13. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

It's called iPhoneterbating or 'choking your iPhone'. Right after you start growing hair on your palms, you will go blind from doing this.

14. taimur macrumors member

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, I wasn't guilty, until I read this thread. Now, I can't stop doing it.

16. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Hello, my names Mexbearpig and I haven't looked at my iPhone in 30 seconds. Nevermind...

17. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

wow I thought I was going crazy...I do this way to much with just about every device that is network capable thus allowing some new flash to come up distracting me from whatever I'm doing. I wonder if this effects the battery....Also it makes you look for attached to the thing when In reality your just bored....lmao

18. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

Guilty.... Have over 100 apps and probably only use 6 at most everyday. Was thinking of jailbreaking it to see something different, but then i remembered i updated to 3.1 :(

19. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I used to get fussed at by my wife, for checking my iPhone when out to dinner (for example). I did the only thing I could -- bought her an iPhone 3GS. Now, she get caught checking *her* phone during dinner at a restaurant. Suddenly, it's not such a horrible crime...

20. xanatos macrumors regular

I figured out what it is. its like when you open up the fridge to see if theres something to eat and then keep opening all day to see if that has changed..haha

21. TheAshMan macrumors regular

You people are funny

I am guilty of the same thing, though with my Blackberry which is my primary device. I would do the same with the iPhone : )

22. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

It's exactly like that. Except the fridge doesn't have a badge at the top with a little number telling you how much food has been added...though that would be great haha.

23. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I do it, too. Even if I just checked my email like 10 minutes ago, if it occurs to me that it's been a while, I'll unlock, force-check email, and then relock once I've verified that I actually have nothing new.

24. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal