Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
I was waiting on the 2016 Macbook Pro, and I still think I might buy it. Not yet, but I'm thinking on it. (I'll wait at least a month to see more comprehensive benchmarks on battery).

Anyways.

I originally wanted to purchase a 13-inch. I thought all I needed was a 13 inch screen, the portability is great, and the price was much lower than the 15-inch (in 2015). Then everything changed. Late 2016 releases rolled around.

The only reason I didn't consider the 15 inch was because comparatively, it was much more expensive.

Now, the 13-inch with 16GB RAM (really important moving into 2017 honestly), is TOO close in price to the 15-inch 2016 model. In addition, the portability gap has been closed... the 15 inch fits into a much more portable category.

So I'm sort-of caught in a weird situation. I want a 15-inch, but the price is too high. But then when I look to the 13-inch, it's so close in price to the 15-inch. Leaves me wondering what I really will buy.

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2007
Analysis paralysis. This is what a bloated product line does. Too many options at prices that don't make sense.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
Analysis paralysis. This is what a bloated product line does.

Sort-of. This isn't a case of picking between 300 choices of ice cream flavour. The obvious choice is London Fog (if you haven't heard of it, try it).

I know what I want: 15-inch MBP TB. But I also know what I am willing to settle on: 13-inch MBP TB with 16GB RAM.

The pricing categories are the issue. Before it was "13 inch is reasonable", and "15 inch is ridiculous". Now it's "13 inch is ridiculous" and "15 inch is only a little more".

Buy within your budget regardless of screen size. Really simple that way.

That's the thing though. Both are currently outside of my budget. But, when I gather the funds, the price difference really is too small a gap.

1500 vs. 2500 (representing 2015 13" vs 15")
and
2500 vs 3500 (representing 2016 13" vs 15")

Two very different considerations, based on a percentage analysis (numbers picked for illustration of argument, not to represent actual prices).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Sort-of. This isn't a case of picking between 300 choices of ice cream flavour. The obvious choice is London Fog (if you haven't heard of it, try it).

I know what I want: 15-inch MBP TB. But I also know what I am willing to settle on: 13-inch MBP TB with 16GB RAM.

The pricing categories are the issue. Before it was "13 inch is reasonable", and "15 inch is ridiculous". Now it's "13 inch is ridiculous" and "15 inch is only a little more".

That's the thing though. Both are currently outside of my budget. But, when I gather the funds, the price difference really is too small a gap.

1500 vs. 2500
and
2500 vs 3500

Two very different considerations (numbers picked for illustration of argument, not to represent actual prices).
If you will have funds to afford either one later on, buy the one that you think will serve your business needs / personal needs best, in regards to screen size, speed, and storage. Give it a try during the grace period. And if you are still unsure, purchase the other Mac and try it for several days. That way, you can make a better informed, actual use decision. Return the one you don't think will suit you best.

Yoshimura

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
I was waiting on the 2016 Macbook Pro, and I still think I might buy it. Not yet, but I'm thinking on it. (I'll wait at least a month to see more comprehensive benchmarks on battery).

Anyways.

I originally wanted to purchase a 13-inch. I thought all I needed was a 13 inch screen, the portability is great, and the price was much lower than the 15-inch (in 2015). Then everything changed. Late 2016 releases rolled around.

The only reason I didn't consider the 15 inch was because comparatively, it was much more expensive.

Now, the 13-inch with 16GB RAM (really important moving into 2017 honestly), is TOO close in price to the 15-inch 2016 model. In addition, the portability gap has been closed... the 15 inch fits into a much more portable category.

So I'm sort-of caught in a weird situation. I want a 15-inch, but the price is too high. But then when I look to the 13-inch, it's so close in price to the 15-inch. Leaves me wondering what I really will buy.
Stop comparing prices and take the one that you prefer.

Even if both were the same price, I would still get the 13".
[doublepost=1479778748][/doublepost]
Stop comparing prices and take the one that you prefer.

Even if both were the same price, I would still get the 13".
Are they not $1700 and $2400? This seems a big price difference. $700 to be exact.

Last edited:

Mr. Bean

macrumors member
You should buy according to your needs and budget. I know it's an obvious statement but sometimes it needs to be said by somebody else other than yourself.

Do you NEED 15"? What are you planning to use it for? Also, how long would it take for you to save up the extra money to buy the 15" instead of the 13"?

If you really need/want the 15" and it's not urgent, then you could take your time saving up the money while waiting for Apple to iron out all the mishaps that ought to come to first generation machines such as these ones.

Another point to consider is that the 2015 15" is a really solid machine, so there's that option as well.

Are they not $1700 and $2400? This seems a big price difference. $700 to be exact.
I think the OP was using Canadian dollar.

Yoshimura

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
You should buy according to your needs and budget. I know it's an obvious statement but sometimes it needs to be said by somebody else other than yourself.

Do you NEED 15"? What are you planning to use it for? Also, how long would it take for you to save up the extra money to buy the 15" instead of the 13"?

If you really need/want the 15" and it's not urgent, then you could take your time saving up the money while waiting for Apple to iron out all the mishaps that ought to come to first generation machines such as these ones.

Another point to consider is that the 2015 15" is a really solid machine, so there's that option as well.
+1
[doublepost=1479779713][/doublepost]
They are 2,140 CAD and 3,000 CAD. Quite a difference.

PaulWog

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011

Do you NEED 15"? What are you planning to use it for? Also, how long would it take for you to save up the extra money to buy the 15" instead of the 13"

Technically, I could get by with my 2012/2013 15-inch Samsung laptop. It has a quad-core i7 processor which is still good by today's standards, 8GB of RAM, and processor/dedicated graphics combination. The dedicated graphics are about 33% worse than the current 13-inch MBP, but it runs at 1600x900 resolution.

However, I have been borrowing a 13-inch 2015 MBP, and I find I just can't get work done on the Samsung laptop in the same way. My workflow is significantly improved on OS X, just based on the way I can swipe between screens, seamlessly use iCloud without having to manually upload content saved to my desktop, access iMessage without picking up my phone, etc.

I am an accounting student, so I am not making money at the moment. I am in an accelerated post-graduate program, so I will be working in what you could equate to an apprenticeship about a year from now. All of my textbooks are e-texts. The texts are subject to copyright protection, so I get images of the text, rather than actual text. What this means is that a non-retina display is excruciating to read the textbooks on. It's a major eyesore. While I could move to my own 13-inch 2016 RMBP (since I am using a 2015 13-inch and it's working), a 15-inch would provide me with better screen real-estate, and I would also then be able to sell my desktop (consolidate everything to one computer for all uses). Productivity would be greater on 15-inch as well, for reading, word processing, multi-tasking. As you can see, I don't *need* a 15-inch, but the minute differences add up to something significant enough that a $600-700-ish Canadian difference in price is worth the consideration. If I got the 13-inch, I would absolutely need to keep my desktop. (I also have to keep my Windows Samsung laptop because of exam requirements, a weird thing where Macbooks are banned from examinations even if using bootcamp).

+1
[doublepost=1479779713][/doublepost]
They are $2140 and $3000 then. Quite a difference.

Education discount pricing:

TB 13" MBP base: $2169
TB 13" MBP with 16GB RAM: $2385
TB 15" MBP base: $2799
TB 15" MBP with 460 graphics: $3015

The way I see it, I just can't justify buying a laptop with 8GB of RAM limitations for $2169. I run multiple chrome tabs, sometimes photoshop, microsoft word, videos, etc, all at once. Just doing light chrome browsing with word uses up a ton of RAM. And every year, RAM needs go up regardless of usage. So that puts my base price at $2385.

Mr. Bean

macrumors member
Technically, I could get by with my 2012/2013 15-inch Samsung laptop. It has a quad-core i7 processor which is still good by today's standards, 8GB of RAM, and processor/dedicated graphics combination. The dedicated graphics are about 33% worse than the current 13-inch MBP, but it runs at 1600x900 resolution.

However, I have been borrowing a 13-inch 2015 MBP, and I find I just can't get work done on the Samsung laptop in the same way. My workflow is significantly improved on OS X, just based on the way I can swipe between screens, seamlessly use iCloud without having to manually upload content saved to my desktop, access iMessage without picking up my phone, etc.

I am an accounting student, so I am not making money at the moment. I am in an accelerated post-graduate program, so I will be working in what you could equate to an apprenticeship about a year from now. All of my textbooks are e-texts. The texts are subject to copyright protection, so I get images of the text, rather than actual text. What this means is that a non-retina display is excruciating to read the textbooks on. It's a major eyesore. While I could move to my own 13-inch 2016 RMBP (since I am using a 2015 13-inch and it's working), a 15-inch would provide me with better screen real-estate, and I would also then be able to sell my desktop (consolidate everything to one computer for all uses). Productivity would be greater on 15-inch as well, for reading, word processing, multi-tasking. As you can see, I don't *need* a 15-inch, but the minute differences add up to something significant enough that a $600-700-ish Canadian difference in price is worth the consideration. If I got the 13-inch, I would absolutely need to keep my desktop. (I also have to keep my Windows Samsung laptop because of exam requirements, a weird thing where Macbooks are banned from examinations even if using bootcamp).

The way I see it, I just can't justify buying a laptop with 8GB of RAM limitations for $2169. I run multiple chrome tabs, sometimes photoshop, microsoft word, videos, etc, all at once. Just doing light chrome browsing with word uses up a ton of RAM. And every year, RAM needs go up regardless of usage. So that puts my base price at $2385.
If I'm reading it correctly, the maxed out 2015 15" is slightly cheaper than a maxed out TB 13". As I've said before, if you do not need the latest technology, I bet that the 2015 15" can last you for quite some time into the future based on what you're planning to use it for. Heck, I think it overkills for what you're planning to use it for. However, if you're really determined to get the 2016 model because you like the form/design and the Touch Bar, then I'm guessing the 13" might be better than 15" in terms of value for money based on your line of work. If anything, I think the 15" TB model might be redundant for what you're planning to do with it, but to each his own.

Yoshimura

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012

Do you really need/want TB?

non-TB 13" with 16GB is $2055!

Last edited:

Patron_Saint

Suspended
Jun 10, 2016

Anyways.

non-TB 13" with 16GB. Problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.