Who else is praying for a redesigned/tweaked proximity sensor with the iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WilliamG, Oct 11, 2011.

1. WilliamG macrumors 604

Please, only reply if you're like me, my wife, and everyone I personally know with an iPhone 4 who enables mute, speakerphone, hold, or goes into the contacts menu etc while holding the iPhone 4 to their ear.

I never had this problem with my iPhone, iPhone 3G, or iPhone 3GS, and even with the later software updates to the iPhone 4, this problem was never solved.

My 4S should be here Friday, and I'm praying this issue is fixed!

*face_praying*

PS Can't wait for the 4S to arrive! Viva :apple:!

2. Deako macrumors 6502

This happened with every single phone call i made with 2x replacement phones i had from the Apple store. Hopefully, it has been tweaked slightly.

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

I actually gave up holding the iPhone 4 to my head. I now only use a headset, speakerphone, or BT.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Never had any problems with my proximity sensor.

5. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Please read my very first post. ;)

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I did, posted anyway.

7. highertechnology macrumors 6502

I have this problem often on my 4.

Interestingly, I called the Apple store today to check on their inventory of Power Support HD Matte screen protectors (my personal favorite). And they said they may not work on the 4s because of the possible redesign of the proximity sensor and could impact the placement of the earpiece.

I was surprised. We will see Friday.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

In my opinion the antenna issue was really a non issue and completely overblown.

The media needed to focus on the proximity sensor problems. Although apple claimed to fix this issue through software updates they never did.

Those of you claim there is no proximity issue obviously don't multi task (like type on our computers while talking or do household chores while on the phone).

Unless I just focus on my iPhone 4 and try not to do other tasks, I usually set off the sensors and it mutes/hangs up/calls other people.

No other touch screen phone I have had (includes Galaxy s, Atrix, my touch , all previous versions of iPhones ) had this sensor issue.

So I am sure Apple redesigned it and fixed the promixity sensor problem with the 4S.

9. WilliamG thread starter macrumors 604

Couldn't agree more. The antenna issue was so overblown it's unreal. The proximity sensor (and broken BT software in iOS 4.0) were real issues, and the former has never been fixed for many users. There was clearly not great QC going on at Apple...

10. kunaalarria macrumors member

I had this in my first couple i4s, but made apple replace them at the genius bar, and the 3rd one on worked fine and never had any problems. Maybe they fixed it after the initial production lines, or something. But try that out if that happens again, or if you have some warranty left. It really pissed me off the first couple times, but got a lot better on the 3rd, and 4th replacements.

11. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

my family has never had a problem with this, we have 4 iPhone 4's

:apple:

12. andross77 macrumors regular

can someone explain a little more about the proximity sensor issue? I've come from many android phones and most of them at some time or another had major PS issues as described in the OP.

I have never had one problem with it on this IP4. Is it random? Is it 5% of the iphones? Is it when you jailbreak? Is it when you drop it hard? I only know one other person with an IP4 and he doesn't have the issue. The OP makes it sound like this is very, very common and in the majority.

Just a little worried about my incoming IP4S (that i don't even have i know :))

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Originally, I had horrible proximity sensor problems with my 4. Didn't update the software for forever because I was jailbroken and just didn't feel like messing with it, but once I did, they improved markedly. It still happens very, very rarely, but at least I can hold the phone between my cheek and shoulder now and know that face-muting isn't guaranteed like it used to be.

14. chibamac macrumors 6502

chibamac

15. LoganT macrumors 68020

I had the proximity sensor issue as well. But then Apple released an update, and it seemed to fix it.